Recently aquired 149

red5770

I have a 149 that hasn't run for at least 20 years the previous owner said, never ran while he had it. I had it started, engine seems ok, hydro and lift also work. Needs some TLC and it will be usable.

Worst thing so far is the PTO clutch is all rusted together and the set screws aren't lined up so I can get an allen wrench started. Any advice on getting things freed up without ruining the whole thing? It's been soaking in PB blaster for a couple days.

Thanks, Steve

I've been able to pull those clutches with a 2 or 3 jaw gear puller.  You have to hook the jaws into the V-belt groove, will need something to hold the jaws in the groove, worm gear hose clamp may work.   Be gentle on the clutch fingers/levers and the center pin and you can reuse them.  The pilot bearing & locking eccentric will all come off together.

line up the set screw holes and use your allen wrench. try some heat.

Remember they are a set screw on top of the next set screw. Like a jam nut 

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sorry for the slow reply, it was fall break weekend for my wife and the campground internet was soooo slow my phone didn't cooperate.

I finally broke the ears off the friction disc and got the set screws lined up. The allen wrench doesn't fit well at all. One size is too loose and the next size bigger won't start in the hex.

Dr Evil, can I pull the clutch without getting the set screws loose first?

I think Rainman's idea may be the one that works.

Thanks, Steve

8 hours ago, red5770 said:

Thanks for the advice guys.

Sorry for the slow reply, it was fall break weekend for my wife and the campground internet was soooo slow my phone didn't cooperate.

I finally broke the ears off the friction disc and got the set screws lined up. The allen wrench doesn't fit well at all. One size is too loose and the next size bigger won't start in the hex.

Dr Evil, can I pull the clutch without getting the set screws loose first?

I think Rainman's idea may be the one that works.

Thanks, Steve

Iirc ( It's been 20 years ) The set screws have to come out.  They hold on to the inside edge of the bearing, so unless you disenigrate the bearing it will not come off 

The pilot bearing is held on with an eccentric collar.  Not a mechanical lock on the crankshaft at all.  Yes, with a gear puller in the belt groove you can pull the bearing and eccentric collar off with the clutch.  BT-DT!

Once off you can work on the clutch easier,  remove the three 1/4"-28 Phillips head special screws in the three clutch fingers,  they should be double-nutted.

When you put the clutch back together, cover the bearing, collar, six setscrews, etc with ANTI-SIEZE.  It comes apart much easier.  

One of my PTO's I've replaced the 1/4" setscrews with 5/16" long square head set screws, drilled & tapped new threads.  The square heads stick above the outside of the pulley.  

Partial success, got all 3 set screws loose, only seems to be 1 in each hole.

One is completely out, one 4 1/2 turns out and the last one is 1 1/2 turns out before the allen wrench slips in the hex. They are soaking in blaster for another day or two. The one that's out is about a half inch long and has a sharp point, not a cup point.  I assume someone didn't put the second back in during a previous repair.

Still haven't got the clutch apart but it's alot looser than it was. I hope when I get it off I can run the 2 contrary screws  on in and get them out and then cleanup the threads with a tap.

Thanks for all the suggestions, made this job easier.

Steve

Will the 50c deck off my 782 work on this 149? I know the driven pulley on the deck is the wrong size but will everything else hook up?

Thanks, Steve

Finally got everything apart, had to drill and tap 1 set screw. I think I have enough parts in the extra parts box to put it back together. 

Still would like to know if a 50c deck will go on a 149. Looks like it should but I've been wrong many times. 

Thanks guys, Steve 

I think the 50c will fit in place of your current deck with the pulley changed but somebody on here will know for sure

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 50C on my 149, just change the pulley out and it's good to go.  I adjusted on mine and still won't go as high as I would like but i want 4", not gonna happen.  Can't remember the pulley number, I think the belt is different too after pulley change.  I will try to look and see.

Thanks, looks like it would fit but I wasn't sure. Ran into a guy with a 44A so it should work without changing anything. 

Steve

Archived