Transmission help on old farmall

Hello my name is jack norton I have a 1950 farmall c. My great grandpa bought this tractor new and has given it to me and I promised him to restore it but sad to say he won't be able to see it restored. Anyway my tractor has a problem with the transmission. When I put the tractor in any of the forward gears and I let the catch out it grinds like you wouldn't believe. It is so bad that you can feel it grinding when you let out the clutch. The only thing is that it doesn't do it in reverse. Can anyone tell me what is going on and maybe how to fix it. I had the tractor at a tractor show and it worked great, put it on trailer brought him and I was driving to the shed when it started to do this. I changed the oil in the rear end. And it still does it. 

The deck definitely has to come off , I am not sure if the tractor would need to be split also or not.  On the M it doesn't need to be split,  not sure if designed the same or slightly different 

• 2 weeks later...

Jack there is a drive shaft from the clutch to the transmission in the torque tube . The U joint is made of rubber . One corner may have let loose letting the drive shaft spin around out of round and scrape and hit on things making the noise

Jack,  To service or disassemble the transmission the deck will have to be removed and the tractor will have to be split at the rear end of the torque tube.  

It will also be necessary to split the tractor at the rear of the torque tube to access the coupling that 'steelfront' is referring to. 

Is it quiet in neutral?

Dennis 

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 1:54 PM, Jack norton said:

Yes and it's quiet in reverse to 

15 hours ago, farmalldr said:

Jack,  To service or disassemble the transmission the deck will have to be removed and the tractor will have to be split at the rear end of the torque tube.  

It will also be necessary to split the tractor at the rear of the torque tube to access the coupling that 'steelfront' is referring to. 

Is it quiet in neutral?

Dennis 

Yes and it's quiet in reverse no grinding until I let the clutch out in a forward gears. I took the deck off and the transmission is solid as far as I can telll.

• 1 month later...

Just finished a full super H transmission rebuid super H transmission rebuild. pilot bearing was shot and was making all the noise. Removed the deck split the tractor found a new upper and lower transmission in a field in Nebraska.  Replaced the bearings, seals, and the pilot shaft that was crumbling.  I think your tractor is similar to the super H transmission. If you don't have the mechanic skills find a good mechanic who can put it back together correctly.   It was a great way to learn about a tractor but the project took eight months. Weekends on and off in time when the mechanic Was available.