Looking for a little knowledge

Did you get it from an old order Mennonite community? I have not seen an A or B on steel . But thats not to say that I am an expert on these

No I  didn't but where I live there are Mennonite and Amish. The guy I bought it from he said he bought from the original owner and it came factory with steel I've looked all over but can't figure it out if they don't belong on there I'm taking them off and putting rims and tires on 

just curious is there a part number still on the cleats. that might go a long way towards finding out if they're original to that tractor or a dealer add on or aftermarket of the day russ 

My guess is that is aftermarket or homemade.  Over at the in laws they had a set of steel wheels from a M that they cut off and welded a ring so they could mount in place of the drop center rim and rubber when needed in the spring for extra plowing traction 

Okay so I finally sat down and looked in my book called The Farmall system of farming (covers Farmall A, AV Farmall B & BN ) Nowhere in the book does it list steel wheels . I'm not saying it's not possible but I would think with everything it shows you in this book it would probably mention it, but there's no guarantees.

I am definitely assuming that this is an original sales brochure. I have this book along with the McCormick Deering cultivators book , pneumatic lift all owners book ,starting and lighting attachments book , tractor mowers book, pneumatic lift all connections (setup and operating ) book, and tractor disc harrow book.  All came with this tractor we bought in 52 which is a 46 tractor. I have the Manila envelope it was mailed to the original owner dated may 9 '46, postmarked Philadelphia $.04 1/2 postage.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason, 

This is a first for me as well.  The one thought that comes to my mind is if it was done for the Mennonite or Amish I wouldn't expect the front wheels to still be rubber.  The Mennonite in my area will build steel wheels all the way around and the Amish will remove the wheels and drag it around with horses or use it as a stationary engine.   A parts book will list the part numbers for the wheels if they ever existed and I wouldn't rule it out completely as the war had every thing out of sorts.  It would be fascinating to know for sure, either way I love the look!  Great find!

During WWII, many tractors of all makes were delivered on steel because rubber tires were not available with many converted to rubber after the war.  I've seen Ford 9Ns and 2Ns on steel at shows--they just don't look right because it's not what I'm used to seeing.

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 3:24 AM, Eason said:

That looks like the factory wheel with a homemade steel conversion. I need to pull out Wendells 150 year of IH.

I have to go with Eason's thoughts.

The center looks like a nice factory center and the attachment can very well be retro fit . In any event they did a nice job.

Tony

Im with howard i would guess a ww2 thing due to shortage of rubber. Weather done by ih or dealer using/ making a conversion. Nice thing about steel is you never have to worry about flats :rolleyes: . If its not going to see a lot of use i would think about leaving it or at least hanging on to them in case you ever eant to put it back to the way it spent its whole life thus far...

• 10 months later...