Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eric Farley

questions about a S1600

Ok so I went and got a 1989 s1600 with a dump bed to haul tractors on, when I started looking up parts, I find there are 2 or 3 different listings, like s1654, and some others that end in LP that got me to wondering what I have, sooooo I start looking online to find out what the different numbers mean,,,,,I find out that IH lumped  fleetstar  cargostar into the S series. now I'm more confused than when I started! lol All I know for sure is that it was a U Haul truck that's a S16somethibg or another:blink:

Not sure who would have lumped Fleetstars and Cargostars with the S-Series.  They were definitely different trucks and not a lot in common.  The S-1600 thru S-1900 were replacements for the Loadstars.  The 54 as in 1654 signifies a diesel engine.  The LP models were a Low Profile version built primarily for U-Haul for lower loading height.  I'd suggest ordering a line set ticket from the Wisconsin Historical Society to know for sure what you have.

9 hours ago, Howard_P said:

Not sure who would have lumped Fleetstars and Cargostars with the S-Series.  They were definitely different trucks and not a lot in common.  The S-1600 thru S-1900 were replacements for the Loadstars.  The 54 as in 1654 signifies a diesel engine.  The LP models were a Low Profile version built primarily for U-Haul for lower loading height.  I'd suggest ordering a line set ticket from the Wisconsin Historical Society to know for sure what you have.

thanks Howard, that helps a lot, the lumping was what wickipedia said so I would say I have a S1654LP Ill check into the line sheet

WICKI needs a little straightening  out ,and get a line setting ticket  International truck parts can be confusing to the unfamiliar and those U-hauls can be even more confusing then throw in the BS that the auto people like napa etc throw in I can see where people just throw up their hands when you want something

Yeah I was even more confused when I read wick, glad there's guys on here that can set things straight

Eric look on the air cleaner housing. Usually the lineset is taped on there.  Eason

I don't know how you guys can rely on NAPA to keep anything running!  My local store is the worst excuse of an auto parts store imaginable.  I had to special order the three flexible brake lines that go from the frame to the rear axle and frame to both front brake calipers.  I ask the salesman, "Those will be made in the USA right?". He says yes.  I get a call 2-3 days later they're in.  I'm looking over the boxes and take the parts out.  Both the boxes and hoses say "Made in China . I almost told him to keep his damned parts!  I wanted the clips that hold the hoses to the mounting brackets because I knew they were really rusty too.  I asked about them when I ordered them, salesman said he needed the hoses to make sure I got the right ones, he had lots of different styles on hand.  When I picked the hoses up I asked about the clips, same salesman said, " We don't have any clips at all.". Not sure if he's lazy or just stupid!   I won't go into the issue with a brand new generic starter/ignition switch.  Another piece of China made junk that didn't work!

Just the opposite at my local Napa 1 mile away, Family owned ,they have been in business well before Napa existed .

These folks use books, computers ,telephone whatever it takes to get the right parts in a timely fashion ,

I am fortunate to have another Napa about 10 miles away where the service is very good also ,

Now the Advance auto parts about 1/2 mile away is useless , I only go there if absolutely necessary on sundays

because Napa is closed .

And to complicate matters, if it was a U-Haul truck parts can be especially challenging because the ones built for U-Haul didn't necessarily have standard parts. There were quite a few special spec parts for them, a Line Set Ticket will be a real help for sure.

On 9/2/2016 at 2:21 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I don't know how you guys can rely on NAPA to keep anything running!  My local store is the worst excuse of an auto parts store imaginable.  I had to special order the three flexible brake lines that go from the frame to the rear axle and frame to both front brake calipers.  I ask the salesman, "Those will be made in the USA right?". He says yes.  I get a call 2-3 days later they're in.  I'm looking over the boxes and take the parts out.  Both the boxes and hoses say "Made in China . I almost told him to keep his damned parts!  I wanted the clips that hold the hoses to the mounting brackets because I knew they were really rusty too.  I asked about them when I ordered them, salesman said he needed the hoses to make sure I got the right ones, he had lots of different styles on hand.  When I picked the hoses up I asked about the clips, same salesman said, " We don't have any clips at all.". Not sure if he's lazy or just stupid!   I won't go into the issue with a brand new generic starter/ignition switch.  Another piece of China made junk that didn't work!

Well, it could be worse.  I went to get some common part at the local auto parts store (not Napa) and the counter person asks me for what vehicle, I tell him International and then he asks me what year of Ford is that? 

it is a U Haul truck, I got it ready to drive and am looking into insurance, anyone got any tips?  the last owner had is listed on his insurance as a pickup:rolleyes: 

As for Napa, I have dealt with only one Napa and they been fine. I also have a Oreilly locally and there Good too. Not happy with our Auto Zone. I stay away. 

I too am Interested in Insurance. I have a 77 Western Star and Looking for Non- Commercial Insurance. Truck will be used for getting wood or hauling/ Retrieving projects. Ive looked into this some but seem to find expensive premiums. (More expensive than my 2014 Ram with Full Coverage)??? 

1 hour ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Check with Farm Bureau on the insurance.

I will try them thanks. Im not tagging it Farm use so Will that matter?

1 hour ago, Everett Dale said:

I will try them thanks. Im not tagging it Farm use so Will that matter?

There are different options. You'll just have to ask.

F. B. is ok .Make sure if they ask if you will be driving thru or in a Town of 50000 that You answer No.