Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Leo DaVinci

Wiring diagram on F-544 Hydro Gas with Magnetic Pulse Ignition

Can anyone provide leads on a wiring diagram for Farmall 544 Hydro with C-200 Gas engine and Magnetic Pulse Ignition? The wiring "diagram" in the owners' manual is useless, and the one in the I&T manual not any better.

There is a very good set of 544 wiring diagrams at the link below, but none include fender-mounted headlights, nor Magnetic Pulse Ignition. I contacted someone at that website (CnG Co), and he was unable to offer anything more.

http://cngco.com/wiring_diagrams/544 wiring diagrams.pdf

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. I take it that you mean you have an electronic ignition that has been installed on your 544. ?  There are no points correct? 

Electronic ignition was never  factory installed so there are no diagrams. It has been installed I'm guessing by previous  owner, Pertronix is a popular maker of these systems for a variety of equipment. here is a link:      http://www.pertronix.com/docs/instruction-sheets/1141.pdf Not sure if this helps you or not.

Leo

Welcome to the forum.    From the looks of the wiring diagram, I would say that the fender mount headlights were not factory installed.  Someone will chime in here and be able to tell us for sure, but I don't think that they were available from the factory.

GT&T

Thats a diesel diagram  so i think it will be a tad different. You said you have a gas engine correct? X2 on the electronic ignition but if you post pics of what you have we can serve you better. In other words pull the distributer cap off and show us whats on the distributer.

flat top fenders with mounted lights are shown in the parts book

544 fenders.png

Magnetic Pulse transistor Ignition was an option on the 544 and 656

Scan0003.jpg

Magnetic Pulse transistor Ignition also shown in the C200 parts book

544 dist.png

I've never seen that on any IH tractor but I guess electronic ignition did come from the factory.(?) My 656 book (1968) doesn't have that info.

I don't know if it ever came as a factory option on a 544 or 656 but IH did offer it a few years later. I installed one unit on a 656 and put the instructions into the manual but I doubt if any IH manual showed a wiring diagram but could be wrong. I see that picture is from an IT manual, not IH.

the way the IT manual reads Late production 544 and 656 may have the Delcotronic distributor

Thank you all for replying - this was a far greater response than I expected. Here is some additional info and feedback:

The tractor was purchased brand new from the dealer with everything I described, as far as I know manufactured that way by the factory. I do not believe any of it was dealer-installed - certainly none was added after purchase. The distributor has IH red paint on it,  which it likely would not if it were added later. The “pulse amplifier,” is black, as is the coil, though I’m uncertain if the either is original. I think the amplifier may have been replaced once, but I'm reasonably certain if it was, the new part was an OEM part from the dealer.

Ditto for flat-top fenders with two “head” lights in each, as shown in Gordon76’s first illustration above. There are no headlights mounted in the grill up front, and none mounted like “ears” or “bug eyes” on the sides of the hood.

The Carter and Gruenewald link I provided above does have a diagram for “F-544 Tractor (Gas), if you scroll down to the second illustration, but it lacks any reference to the flat-top fender head lights and the magnetic pulse ignition.

The distributor has no points - just a 4-pronged star that rotates, and activates the magnetic pick-up unit each time a lobe goes by, as shown in Gordon76’s second illustration above, which is from the I&T manual, though the lower illustration is of a 6-pronged lobe (for a 656).

Gordon76’s third illustration is the most helpful so far, but there is no mention of wire or tracer colors, and as with the I&T diagram, nothing showing what connects where in the rest of the wiring. Wires 14 and 15 appear to be the ones which connect into the wiring harness, but nothing indicates where. This illustration is very similar to the one in my operator’s manual (part number 1 082 720 R1 (10-68)), on page 89, which also declines to say where anything is connected to the wiring harness. Anyone can guess - I’ve done it many times - but I’d really like to see a complete diagram showing wire colors and connections like the C&G illustration in the link provided.

Thanks for the Magnetic Pulse transistor Ignition illustration from the parts book. I’d be interested in seeing the page that goes with it which identifies these parts with IH part numbers. I need part number 13, and may need some others before I’m finished.

Again, thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

10 hours ago, Leo DaVinci said:

Thank you all for replying - this was a far greater response than I expected. Here is some additional info and feedback:

The tractor was purchased brand new from the dealer with everything I described, as far as I know manufactured that way by the factory. I do not believe any of it was dealer-installed - certainly none was added after purchase. The distributor has IH red paint on it,  which it likely would not if it were added later. The “pulse amplifier,” is black, as is the coil, though I’m uncertain if the either is original. I think the amplifier may have been replaced once, but I'm reasonably certain if it was, the new part was an OEM part from the dealer.

Ditto for flat-top fenders with two “head” lights in each, as shown in Gordon76’s first illustration above. There are no headlights mounted in the grill up front, and none mounted like “ears” or “bug eyes” on the sides of the hood.

The Carter and Gruenewald link I provided above does have a diagram for “F-544 Tractor (Gas), if you scroll down to the second illustration, but it lacks any reference to the flat-top fender head lights and the magnetic pulse ignition.

The distributor has no points - just a 4-pronged star that rotates, and activates the magnetic pick-up unit each time a lobe goes by, as shown in Gordon76’s second illustration above, which is from the I&T manual, though the lower illustration is of a 6-pronged lobe (for a 656).

Gordon76’s third illustration is the most helpful so far, but there is no mention of wire or tracer colors, and as with the I&T diagram, nothing showing what connects where in the rest of the wiring. Wires 14 and 15 appear to be the ones which connect into the wiring harness, but nothing indicates where. This illustration is very similar to the one in my operator’s manual (part number 1 082 720 R1 (10-68)), on page 89, which also declines to say where anything is connected to the wiring harness. Anyone can guess - I’ve done it many times - but I’d really like to see a complete diagram showing wire colors and connections like the C&G illustration in the link provided.

Thanks for the Magnetic Pulse transistor Ignition illustration from the parts book. I’d be interested in seeing the page that goes with it which identifies these parts with IH part numbers. I need part number 13, and may need some others before I’m finished.

Again, thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it.

more info on the parts diagram can be found here http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::mr212345ar1296580

#14 attaches to starter solenoid ignition terminal

#15 attaches to key switch 

#13  529410R1