Heisler 9 Speed Manual, Farmall M

chadd

I was wondering if anyone on here would have the manual/installation instructions for a Heisler 9 Speed for a Farmall M?  I would be looking to get either a copy of it or pictures of it, if possible.  I would be more than happy to reimburse someone for the time and effort.  I've tried my usual manual sources, and haven't had any luck finding one that I could buy.  Thanks.

Mike Becker.. "The Paper Farmer" ....715-726-1942 may have a manual in his huge paper inventory. Saw him Friday @ Badger Steam & Gas Show.

1 hour ago, bankshotone said:

I may be able to help you out. Are you wanting a specific item or everything?

I would be looking for anything I can get on it.  I got what appears to be a complete unit in workable condition, but I didn't get the trans housing that was modified for it.  The trans case that it came out of wasn't there, so I couldn't get the measurements off of it, either.  I will need the original installation instructions to install it into a different transmission case.

43 minutes ago, Rainman said:

Mike Becker.. "The Paper Farmer" ....715-726-1942 may have a manual in his huge paper inventory. Saw him Friday @ Badger Steam & Gas Show.

Thanks for the info.  I saw him at the Badger Show on Sunday, too.  I asked him about the manual, but he said that he didn't have one for a Farmall M.  He had one for an F-12 overdrive, but that is a whole different animal compared to the Farmall M kit.

7 hours ago, bankshotone said:

I have what you need. p/m with an email and i will scan and send it to you.

Would you be willing to send me info on them as well.  I have one in a Farmall M as well but have no info on them.

Thanks to bankshotone for a copy of his manual.  I started looking at the manual and comparing it to what I have.  They are not the same in any way, shape, or form.  The only items that are the same are the shift lever and the shift linkage...  It appears that Heisler made at least two versions of the kit.  The one version was the Heisler Special Overdrive unit, which appears very similar to the TSW-5100 M unit shown in the manual that Bankshotone provided.  That unit puts the additional set of constant mesh gears onto a custom pilot shaft and uses stock transmission shafts otherwise.  The second unit, which is the version I appear to have, is the Heisler Master Overdrive unit.  This unit appears to use a stock Farmall M pilot shaft and bearing arrangement, but requires custom upper and lower transmission shafts and a custom 4th Speed sliding gear.  The additional set of constant mesh gears fits in between the pilot shaft and the transmission main shaft.  The only reference to this "Master" unit that I can find is in Heisler's original application for patent in 1954 and a very blurry low res copy of a manual and sales brochure sold years ago on e-bay...  So, does anyone have any idea where I might be able to track down one of these manuals?

Well that just sucks, I thought we had it nailed! Are you sure it is not a M&W overdrive? Of all the 9 speeds I have seen or worked on over the years they are all the same with the exception of one, that was the M&W which to me is much more rare. I know the custom 4th & 5th slider gear you are talking about, it is shorter than the stock gear to allow for the additional gear up front. I have had several stock gears machined down to match the Heisler gear as the old Heisler gear had rounded the teeth of the 5th and wouldn't stay engaged anymore. I will check with some other guys I know to see if they have any info.

I know I have an installation manual someplace, but can't find it at the moment.   Do you have the machined main pinion shaft?   If not, I do know your old one will need to be turned.   If I find the manual, I will let you know.

Archived