Handling bolts during a project

I gotta come up with a better way to handle bolts during a project! I throw them in cans and when you get back to it two years later its like ok I have no clue! How do you guys handle your bolts and all your parts when your doin a restoration?

My plan is to buy a second 450 to look at when I go to put the one back together that is in pieces in my basement. ;):)

But seriously though,  I have ok success in the farm shop with reusing small cardboard boxes to put bolts in . Starting with the first thing that you remove  ( sheet metal ) Then once you get a few things next removed you go to a new box again.

Could use zip lock bags and label with a permanent marker? You can even put #s on the bags to remember what order for reassembly.

Tony must have a great system as it looks like his tractors aren't missing pieces once he is done with them 

These are some of the ways we do it.   These red bins work very well for bolts and small items . They are removable and portable.

The Bigger bins are used for parts.  WE lay out pallets in shop for big items that are repaired ,blasted or painted.  We put large parts that are still dirty and needing attention on pallets out side & cover if needed.

Last picture, the large rolling treys are very handy to roll up and put all items together.

Also Forgot to mention ; Pictures, pictures, & more pictures & Parts Book

Tony

IMG_2821-001.JPG

IMG_1908-001.JPG

IMG_1906-001.JPG

IMG_1909-001.JPG

I use bins about 14 X 18 to put the bigger parts in and mark the bins for what they are and what side they came off of. Then the nuts and bolts go in zip lock bags marked with a permanent marker for where they came from. I then put them in the bins where they go. Works for me..... cause I can't remember that stuff a week later let alone 2 years later.

Joe

17 hours ago, bitty said:

My plan is to buy a second 450 to look at when I go to put the one back together that is in pieces in my basement. ;):)

Been doing that with H's!  Zip lock bags and those small plastic containers with lids that Crystal Light iced tea mix comes in. Mark them with the part they go with and ..... I take a lot of pictures and store them on my laptop.

I like delmonte sliced peaches, thus we have a ton of those plastic jars. I peal the labels and mark where the bolts and small parts go. I have an old grocery cart that all the parts go into during restorations. Amazing how easy it is to find things when kept together, plus all the parts smell good from the peach smell that won't come out of the jars!!!

jerry

I have been using plastic bags and writing where they came from.  I have also taken pictures as I take componenets off.  I think im up to 100 pictures for my T6.  If you really want to make it interesting, use your iphone to make a shared phot folder.  This allows you to take a picture with your iphone and pull it up on your ipad latter in order to see a larger version of the picture.

When I pulled my Falcon apart I too did the zip lock bag and permanent marker trick. Use 100 of them if you have to!

All my spare nuts and bolts live in Milo tins but I reckon most of you guys wouldn't know what Milo is?

2 small children  both fed formula milk when they were babies.  Guess what I did with the tins?

Yep I kept them because they seemed to good to throw away. I gave a lot away but still have many tins  that need a use found for them. And they have lids

Ziplock bags broken down by part with notes of anything special. Obviously threads and depths dictate certain fittings, but if anything's in question write a note about what you need to know and keep it in the bag.

Hesitant to reply to this for fear of being laughed right off the WWW but here is how I have always kept track of bolts on projects that I don't do on a regular basis.

Bolt ID.jpg

2 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Hesitant to reply to this for fear of being laughed right off the WWW but here is how I have always kept track of bolts on projects that I don't do on a regular basis.

Bolt ID.jpg

Now that is actually very well organized.  Somebody else could put that project together with no other knowledge of the machine 

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Bolt ID.jpg

Laughed at? Why in the heck would we laugh at that? It is great. 

10 hours ago, lorenzo said:

Bolt ID.jpg

I have been known to paint bolts like that. Just poke through from the back for paint and flip over for roadmap to replacement. Very simple idea and completely effective. Good work!