Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AllThingsIH

Loadstar T36 Transmission Oil

I have a 1973 Loadstar with the 345 engine and T36 Five speed transmission. I need to install a PTO on the side of the transmission so I'm going to have to change the oil at the same time. What is the best oil to use for this particular transmission? Also can you add too much? I've heard of installing an elbow on the side of the fill level hole to add an additional 2 pints or so. Is this recommended or will the extra oil cause more harm than good? The truck only has 33,000 original miles so it runs like brand new and I would like to keep it that way!

Welcome aboard !

I have never heard the overfill trick before ,   You will want GL1  rated oil , Traveller Ford Tractor All Mineral 90 Transmission Fluid, 2 gal. - For Life Out Here

We always enjoy pictures :)

I would love to attach some pics, but I can't figure out how to get around the 512kb issue of uploading...  And thanks for the reply on the oil!  I've read Valvoline 50 weight Racing Oil, Standard Gear Oil (but I know that is bad), and other types of oil, but no one seems to be definitive only suggestions.  I Figured someone had to have one and have experience with changing the oil!

Yah the picture size limit is kinda tough here ,I end up resizing in my computer ,windows gallery

I use "medium" size then when you "choose files" below and then find picture ,kinda hover over it with

the mouse and it will tell the size ,  oh if you screw up and try to put one that is too big

post the thread then come back and edit (no second chances )lol

Ok.  Here is the truck.  It is a 1973 with 33,000 original miles.  It has a 345 with a t36 5 speed transmission and a 2 speed rear.  It was garage kept all it's life and never traveled more than 6 miles since it was a borough truck.  It had a custom sewer jet on the back used for cleaning the borough sewer lines and more recently storm water drains.  The sewer jet had it's own motor so the truck engine never ran while the truck was parked.  I am repurposing it to be a dump truck/show truck.  I have a construction company that this will be used to run around the job lots moving dirt and stone around so it won't see hard work.

I picked up a used dump bed and behind the cab tool box from a local salvage yard.  The bed was in great shape so I sent it out for a little reworking, sandblasting, and painting.  I also had to add 10" to the frame and I also had a custom tow plate made.  Then the chassis was sandblasted and repainted.  The cab and front end are being repainted next week.  I need to install the pto on the transmission and the hydraulic pump and controls - thus the post about tranny fluid.

Overall the truck will be brand new when I'm done.  Not a total rehab, but good enough to go to shows with and let the old timers and young kids enjoy themselves.

I do want to swap the points distributor over to an electronic ignition - Pertronics Ignitor 2 possibly.  And I would also like to ditch the 2bbl carb and put on a small 4bbl.  I'm having trouble sourcing a 4bbl intake locally so I'll start casting a wider net.

I am excited about the truck and most importantly I'm excited to drive it!

IMG_4696.JPG

IMG_4801.JPG

IMG_4688.JPG

IMG_4803.JPG

IMG_4797.JPG

IMG_4794.JPG

Does it really matter much what oil you use? SAE 90, SAE 50, 80W-90, 85W-140, Hy-Tran might do the job. But if the manual calls for SAE 90 and you can find it, you can use it. But if you already have a pump of something else, why not use it?

43 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

Does it really matter much what oil you use? SAE 90, SAE 50, 80W-90, 85W-140, Hy-Tran might do the job. But if the manual calls for SAE 90 and you can find it, you can use it. But if you already have a pump of something else, why not use it?

Yes I forget what the tran number is I think t 496. They are in the 1700 loadstar more commonly. They are a 5 speed trans but low and reverse gears are constant running.owners manual for IH calls for 30 weight engine oil I believe if you run heavy gear oil it doesn't oil the gear and main shaft well causing a lot of wear and damage pretty fast.

8 hours ago, lightninboy said:

Does it really matter much what oil you use?

As long as the oil does not harm the "yellow metals" ,    There has been oil debates on other forums ,and oil testing done etc,etc

But the gist of the results was GL5 can cause erosion of brass synchros .  also some GL4 oils ,  at the same time causing poor shifting

apparently being too slippery for lack of a better word .

Here is an excerpt from a lightline manual (same transmissions used)

ih owners manual (1024x576).jpg

10 hours ago, AllThingsIH said:

I'm having trouble sourcing a 4bbl intake locally

Where is Local ??   Some folks on here might be able to help

By the way NICE TRUCK !!

Amsoil recommendations for NP435

GL-5

Above -23

90, 75W-90, 75W-110

Above 32

Below -23

80W

SJ

Above 0

Below 0

30, 10W-30

So, is a T36 that much different in requirements than a NP435?

59 minutes ago, lightninboy said:

So, is a T36 that much different in requirements than a NP435

The NP 435 has aluminum synchro's. So in that respect I would say yes .different requirements .

A bit more info on gear oil additives.The difference between GL-4 and GL-5 gear oils - Transaxle_oil.pdf

Thanks ya'll!  I have the T36 transmission according to the line set ticket.  It is the predecessor of the T496.  I snatched up some SAE90 today and will be doing the PTO this weekend.  The transmission shifts like new so I'd like to keep it that way!  By the way, I'm located in south eastern PA - in Amish territory.

So did that truck come from the Muncy  near williamsport? 

14 hours ago, AllThingsIH said:

Thanks ya'll!  I have the T36 transmission according to the line set ticket.  It is the predecessor of the T496.  I snatched up some SAE90 today and will be doing the PTO this weekend.  The transmission shifts like new so I'd like to keep it that way!  By the way, I'm located in south eastern PA - in Amish territory.

If it is the predecessor which I think it is. Run 50 wt synthetic gear oil or 30 wt engine oil the owners manual will tell you. 90 wt or thick oil won't get into the gear and main shaft areas. These 5 speeds turn the low and reverse main shaft gear at countershaft speed all the time. What this means like a 435 np the gears shift of the bottom gears and just basically spun with the shaft. On these  trans the gears stay on the countershaft gear and shift with a locking collar. When in any other gear  they spin on the main shaft at insane speed. The oil it calls for in the manual is there for a reason and I believe it is 30 wt engine oil. Synthetic 50 w will work also. If you don't believe me try gear lube and when you are looking for a trans to replace it later good luck. They are getting hard to find and parts are not out there any more. Been down this road a few times.

Dale is it the T36 version that requires the lighter weight oil or the later T496 ?

Do you know where I could find the info on the change in specs ?

90 wt gl1 is the equivalent to approx 40 to 50 wt motor oil

These figures were copied and pasted

SAE Engine Oil SAE Gear Oil

10w thru mid range of 20w = 75w

Mid 20w thru mid 30w = 80w

Mid 30w thru low 40w = 85w

Low 40w thru 50w = 90w

60w up = 140w
, Took care of a fleet of municipal trucks with the T36 's in them Each one gave 200k miles or 15 years of service . No transmission

failures aside from a snapped output shaft and the shift covers wearing out on the plow trucks They all got fed GL1 90w

supplied by the local IH dealer ,   

Can't remember which one takes the 30 weight. I know it was about 5 years ago the last one I had apart in a one owner 77 1700 loadstar with about 70,000 miles. The gears were worn out and just from googling the trans numbers I came across the oil recommendations A guy had posted from original owners manual. And to be honest it was the first time I came across a truck not using gear oil in a manual trans. But the damage is caused by lack of oil in between gears.  Google trans number you will come up some information. By the way my dad has the little brother to your truck. Same color but a 1600 with a 4 speed 72 model he has had it since 75. He also has a gold brown 73 1600  345 4 speed has had that one since 76.

Sae 50 is what i run in my t35 and bw18/19's. Yes gl5 will harm yellow metals. Zinc phosphate eats bronze. Brass. Gold. Ask my dana 20. Sae 50 or 60 is the best fluid on the market. I run valvoline. 

I will have to look at the line set ticket on my trucks but back in the mid 70's on the IH built 5 speed of the time yes they were having issues with lubrication. 90W was too heavy an oil and was not getting where it was suppose to go. They did go to 30W engine oil and added a street ell to raise the oil level up. There was also an additive they added to the oil to help with wear. Have no idea what was in it. At the time the dealership I was at brought in a transfer truck from a near by dealer it did not make it to our place by about 4 miles it had gone 30 miles before it seized up and it was full of oil. I believe it was the T495-T496 series that was doing it.

So...instead of putting in the same oil as in the rear axle, put in the same oil as in the engine....