1086 PTO Shaft Seal

TriStripe1086

The 540 PTO shaft on my 1086 is leaking.  I bought a screw-in seal for it but it appears there are no female threads to screw the seal into - it appears there is an existing seal that is flush with the casing around the shaft.  Is there something I need to remove or do I have a PTO unit that will not accept the screw-in seal?

7 hours ago, TriStripe1086 said:

The 540 PTO shaft on my 1086 is leaking.  I bought a screw-in seal for it but it appears there are no female thuard tube.reads to screw the seal into - it appears there is an existing seal that is flush with the casing around the shaft.  Is there something I need to remove or do I have a PTO unit that will not accept the screw-in seal?

Is it caked full of dirt? I've never seen a dual speed that did not have the threads for the 540 guard tube.The recess is about 3/8" deep to the seal.

Could you post a picture because what you are describing does not exist to my knowledge?  

If the seal is indeed flush with the casting like the top 1000 rpm seal, could you just pull it out to the outside like one does when you change the 1000 rpm seal?

In thinking this over, I bet someone gooked up the treads in the casting and also the OD of a seal and pounded a 2nd seal into the casting.

Pull out the seal that you see and I will bet there are threads in the casting that you can screw your screw-in seal adapter into.

38 minutes ago, Red Tech said:

In thinking this over, I bet someone gooked up the treads in the casting and also the OD of a seal and pounded a 2nd seal into the casting.

Pull out the seal that you see and I will bet there are threads in the casting that you can screw your screw-in seal adapter into.

I'm guessing it's a later style pto....I don't have one around here to look at right now, but do the later ones have those threads, I wonder?

Travis

25 minutes ago, Sparky said:

I'm guessing it's a later style pto....I don't have one around here to look at right now, but do the later ones have those threads, I wonder?

Travis

The rear casting is the same whether it's a spring brake PTO or a hydraulic brake PTO.

Jim N.

1 hour ago, Maynard said:

The rear casting is the same whether it's a spring brake PTO or a hydraulic brake PTO.

Jim N.

I couldn't remember for sure...don't have too many of those around here.

Travis

Isn't that the spiral loc that is on that 540 shaft?  If I'm seeing it right, get an o-ring pic and get behind it and work it out of there. Then you should be able to clean up threads in housing.

12 hours ago, ole 815 said:

Isn't that the spiral loc that is on that 540 shaft?  If I'm seeing it right, get an o-ring pic and get behind it and work it out of there. Then you should be able to clean up threads in housing.

I believe you are correct.  That spiral snap ring is used to help keep dirt out of the seal and just slips on the shaft. I would bet very few tractors even have them anymore after being repaired a few times.

I used an o-ring pic and removed the spiral snap ring.  I cleaned out the gunk from the recessed area and threads, put thread tape on the seal threads and screwed it it in and tightened.  I don't know if it was necessary or not, but I installed the spiral snap ring after the seal.  It doesn't leak now.

20160716_101435 (2).jpg

Archived