Ih 656 hydro

I have a tractor that was my grandpas that i believe is a 656 hydro. S/n 26416 s am i correct its a 656 hydro? Never been around one. We have all gear drive.  My next question is its been sitting for quite awhile and would like to try and get it running.  Beings its a hydro will i hurt it by pulling it to get it on a trailer or is there a way to put it in nuetral?  And am i just wasting my time with it? Its kinda sentimental beings it was in my family. Already got a 806 running and 966. 656 has 5,xxx on the clock. Thanks!

Yes, you are correct.  DO NOT pull or push it without it being in neutral.  Sitting in the seat there should be a lever to the left of the steering wheel and one to the right of the wheel.  The left one is the hydro lever and the right is the range lever.  There should be a Low, Neutral, and High position to the range lever.  Neutral is the middle position.  The serial numbers do not denote hydros vs gear drive.  Here is a pic of what it should look like showing the lever right and left.  Welcome to the forum.

4D1D5BED-667B-4E07-A48B-05F665AE94B7_zps

12 hours ago, lintonxy said:

Hmmm. The levers on my 856 Farmall are the opposite way around: Range Lever on the right and Hydro on the left. That seems a little odd to me.

826 Farmall Hydro ?

12 hours ago, lintonxy said:

Hmmm. The levers on my 856 Farmall are the opposite way around: Range Lever on the right and Hydro on the left. That seems a little odd to me.

That pic has the range on the right and the hydro on the leftAre you thinking the T/A lever on the left?

20 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

That pic has the range on the right and the hydro on the leftAre you thinking the T/A lever on the left?

826 Hydro has the same layout as 656 Hydro.

Maybe. I'm still learning my way around this thing. I haven't used the lever on the left. But the one on the right is definitely the range selector. And she's definitely an 856 not 826.

Would I be right in thinking that 

An 856 was available in gear drive only. It's a totally different animal.  It should have 2 levers on the right; 1 for the high, low, and reverse and 1 for 1234 gears. If equipped with a T/A  should have a lever on the left for T/A (back) and Direct Drive (forward)  Eason

Looks like I must have bumped 'submit'. I thought my half-done comment disappeared into the ether. :huh:

Anyway, yes Eason et al, You're right. You know your way around my tractor better than I do! I have literally driven it to the front gate half a dozen times and not since January. I have very little 'need' for a tractor this size, but I just love it. 

So without trying to hijack this thread too much, what are the basic pros and cons of using the T/A vs the direct drive?

• 4 weeks later...

If you are plowing and hit a hard section, you pull the lever toward you and it reduces speed but increases the pulling power, after the hard section you push the lever forward and resume the faster speed. You don't use the clutch when you use the T/A lever. Kind of like how an automatic transmission downshifts on hills.