Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MTO

Downfall of our society

They were designed to allow us convenience and safety.

Costs began affordable and coverage was sketchy

We wanted more... and more... and more... and now we have more.

More cost, more options, more coverage.

Then we GAVE them to our kids and grandkids in the name of SAFETY. 

Actually we gave them to kids as pacifiers.  Don`t bother me pacifiers.

I realize many of us don`t fit this scenario but too many do. 

Too many kids cannot communicate/function/leave their rooms anymore.

My friend just found his 13 year old daughter video chats with a man states away expressing their sexual desires. 13 years old.  Pictures and the whole 9 yards. 

YES it`s our fault. 

It ALWAYS comes back to the parents...

I guarantee my kids will hate me cuz they won't have all the crap there friends have, and I'm fine with that, they'll realize once there adults I did them a service.

I couldn't agree more! My parents are both gone now but my mom used to tell this story to anyone who would listen. My father worked for iH Melrose Park from 1946-1982. My mom said in all of those years she called my dad twice at work. Once when she was going to the hospital to deliver me and the other time was when my father's father passed away. The problem starts with the parents/adults. In most cases the parents are worse than the kids. I joked that I would never "sound" like my parents.....about anything. That said as I get older I find myself sounding more and more like them...not a bad thing. Instead of trying to be your kids "friend", just be their parent. Teach them right from wrong. Everything else will work it's way out in the end.

Put discipline back in our school systems and our country would be turned around in 10 years.

I agree with all the above.  

I hate when I'm trying to have a face to face with someone, and they keep looking at their phone.

some people can't do anything without constantly checking to see what's happening on facebook or whatever.

and don't even get me started about people messing with their phones while driving.

I had 2 close calls on my cycle because of people looking at their phone and not where they were going. sold the bike because of it.

Mainly I was worried about my wife being on it with me, when some idiot ran over us.

Someone we know got their daughter a cellphone and a spacebook account before she was 10. Idiocy as far as I am concerned.  My daughters won't be getting a cell phone till they are 18.

Good to hear from you  MTO.  Beven wondering if you were lurking around. You going to redpower roundup? 

4 hours ago, IHC5488 said:

Put discipline back in our school systems and our country would be turned around in 10 years.

I agree with all the above.

Have the parents instill within their children the things they should be.......discipline, morality, and respect for others.......then the schools will do a fine job of performing their intended function.......teaching history, science, math, the humanities, etc.

I think the issue with cell phones and on line chat is 2 sided. The negative side has been mentioned. But on the positive side at least with cell phones is that the kids can call for help, either mom and dad or 911 if needed. On the other side they become dependent on it. Can't function without that phone you know.

Gotta make a comment in IHC5488's comment. First you have to put discipline back in the home. We allowed the government to come into our homes and tell us how to raise our children.

I was laughing about my dad a few days ago. When I was 18 I thought I knew it all as opposed to today when I do know it all......;). At 18 I could tell you everything my parents did wrong raising me. By the time my oldest was 6 I started sounding like my dad. Last year my wife encouraged me to buy a new boat, not super expensive but in the 15-22K range. I refused because I don't like debt anymore. Sounding like my dad I told her 15-22K for something I'll use 4 months a year? With payments? Don't get me wrong. I know the boat I'd love to have but at 22K it ain't gonna happen. Just this last weekend I scolded a young guy about these jacked up hot rodded trucks. My wife overheard it and said "you'd have loved one when we were first married". You sound just like your dad. Looking back I can say that ain't a bad thing at all. As my kids got older I started following my dad's methods. I raised 7 kids. Not one has ever been in jail! But now, they are all out on their own making their own way! That includes my oldest who last year because a single parent with custody of 2 girls, 3 and 8.

The whole thing is we have to get the government out of our homes! We have to say enough! Once we start being parents again and teaching our children right from wrong and that there are consequences for misbehavior then and only then can you put discipline back in the schools!  

Rick

I had a phone at 16, didn't do much good, didn't have service at home and didn't have service at school. 

id love to give mine up and everyone else give theirs up. 

However may I just add while we is complaining about cell phones and technology that it is because of the technology that we are all here complaining together. 

As to the previous comment about the young girl video chatting, that dude needs to be strung up by his you know what and stoned to death in the village square.

I don't know what to say, it boils down to the parents and their ability to control their child. My oldest Stepdaughter was a handful and thats being nice, I think her phone enabled her to find trouble but allowed her Mother to find her as well. When she totaled her Mothers car she called home, had she not had a phone (at 16) then maybe things could have been worse. I just don't know what is right. The parents have to control their kids.

12 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

I think the issue with cell phones and on line chat is 2 sided. The negative side has been mentioned. But on the positive side at least with cell phones is that the kids can call for help, either mom and dad or 911 if needed. On the other side they become dependent on it. Can't function without that phone you know.

I don't have the exact stats but I doubt if I am too wrong in stating that regarding under age children the amount of time spent on their cells calling anyone for (critically needed) help somewhere about 0.0001% of the total time these devices are used.

Everywhere I go I see people staring down at their hand-held connection to the world.  How did we EVER survive prior to this technology?

I went up buggs hollow rd today to look at a job.  Talking to customer when I turned and dropped call.  When I got to the house I had said I would call, no service.  I always liked that road and now I have one more reason to like it!!

58 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

I don't have the exact stats but I doubt if I am too wrong in stating that regarding under age children the amount of time spent on their cells calling anyone for (critically needed) help somewhere about 0.0001% of the total time these devices are used.

Everywhere I go I see people staring down at their hand-held connection to the world.  How did we EVER survive prior to this technology?

Watched my oldest grandson play some outstanding center field yesterday evening. Out of six people who sat in front of us, four of them were watching their phones.

Maybe there is such a thing as a zombie.

Old Tanker, I believe you're right on ! I watch a lot of ball games in the evening so I see a lot of people in the stands looking at their phones. I would not be paying over a hundred dollars a seat to play with my phone and not watch the game !!!!!!

11 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Everywhere I go I see people staring down at their hand-held connection

Was just thinkin' while watching at the local coffee shop a short while ago, "you've heard of the X generation and the Y generation, now we have the 'heads down' generation".

best, randy

We moved here last August and have repeatedly told people (of all ages) that we don't have cell service here and to call the land line. We can receive texts if we put the phone in the window. Several times a day someone calls one of the cell phones and we can hear it ring, but can't answer it because it will drop the call immediately. Oh well, must not have been that important. My wife has to constantly remind me to take the thing with me when we go to town. Frankly I'm just not that interested.

11 hours ago, Atilathehun99 said:

Oh I'm sure that very darn few calls are of an emergency nature. But the fact is that they can call for help if needed. Heck most of us will never need a phone for an emergency. But having kids, especially daughters, I'd have been a little more comfortable with them out at nights when they were dating had they had cell phones. There's more than just an accident. There is stranded on the side of the road or even "I was drinking and don't want to drive". Now if we could just get them to lock those phones in the trunk while they are driving!

Rick

I too have a love/hate relationship with my phone. It rings constantly for business, which gets old, but I've learned to let it go to voicemail if I am busy or don't know the number. On the flip side, it's sure nice when I'm 3 miles away and need 1 more bag of corn to finish planting and I can call and have one of my sons run a bag to me. Or the times I get stuck and need a tow. Sure beats walking ( I actually don't mind the walk it's the wasted time that I don't like).

Like it or not, technology is here to stay. As for issues with kids, as other have said, raise them right and set boundaries.

Of all people this morning in heavy 4 lane wide traffic in the suburbs was a Progressive Insurance car creeping along with the guy texting away on his phone!

I don't disagree with most that's been said. Agree most spend way to much time on their phones. But I find it ironic that you say this on an Internet site that many look at on their phones.

4 hours ago, Randy Sohn said:

Was just thinkin' while watching at the local coffee shop a short while ago, "you've heard of the X generation and the Y generation, now we have the 'heads down' generation".

best, randy

That may be be a hint of the best jobs for our kids to pursue. Chiropractors to fix their necks and Optometrists to fix their eyes!

The plain old flip phones aren't just too bad.  They at least have the emergency positives without the distractions.  Those smartphones are a menace.  Everywhere you look people are glued to them regardless of what they are doing.  The new thing is carrying them in their hand and never putting them away.  Doesn't matter if they are eating, sleeping, in the bathroom, driving, or working, that phone needs to be there...  I've even seen younger farmers texting or whatever while transporting farm equipment down the road lately.  In car/truck traffic, there are more people with phones out and headphones on while driving than there are without.  There is serious talk in our area of passing legislation to lower pedestrian signs to shoulder level or below... because the current signs require people to look up from their smart phones at street crossings...  Now that's what I call having your priorities in order... Pretty soon they'll have to add radar and an app on phones to warn users of objects so they they don't walk into walls and posts...

5 minutes ago, chadd said:

Pretty soon they'll have to add radar and an app on phones to warn users of objects so they they don't walk into walls and posts...

No, we will have self driving cars and will need an app to control them. :D

One more thing, if you're between the age of 80-40 years old, it's all happened on our watch. We're the ones to blame. It's always somebody else's kids. Not mine.........Yea right.........

Well you can set a phone to emergency calls only I believe. Won't any cellphone active or not still dial 911 if theres juice in the battery? MTO I'm thinkin we should load up HP's van and pay this idiot in another state a visit!