Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mx_599

Loadstar 3-speed axles

Could we get a picture of your rear axle ?

My best guess is an eaton "M" series tandem drive axle setup, They made 4 or 5 different models (sizes) , The lever is a manual interaxle diff lock .

If it was a 3 speed setup , Both axles would be 2 speed planetary as explained  perfectly by farmall57 in an earlier post

MX599 's original question of wanting more speed ,probably no easy solution , but a lot of possibilities :)

One possible option would be sourcing a 5+3 setup mentioned earlier , Or a swap with a modern diesel and fuller trans .

eaton axle tandem 001 (730x1024).jpg

17 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

My best guess is an eaton "M" series tandem drive axle setup, They made 4 or 5 different models (sizes) , The lever is a manual interaxle diff lock .

If it was a 3 speed setup , Both axles would be 2 speed planetary as explained  perfectly by farmall57 in an earlier post

MX599 's original question of wanting more speed ,probably no easy solution , but a lot of possibilities :)

One possible option would be sourcing a 5+3 setup mentioned earlier , Or a swap with a modern diesel and fuller trans .

eaton axle tandem 001 (730x1024).jpg

Fantastic!! I really appreciate everyones input. Great info!! I apologize if I sort of hijacked the thread. Now the final question to Kevingweq is how and where can I get a copy/reprint/etc of the reference manual you show? I will need some more info on the interaxle differential lockout linkage, as my truck appears to have none of it.

Motors Truck and Diesel repair manual , 26th edition ,  I would imagine IH service manuals would have as much if not more info on them ?

Just to keep the info here in line with the title, Here is the "3 speed" section of the manual

eaton axle 3 speed tandem 001 (1024x576).jpg

eaton axle 3 speed tandem 002 (760x1024).jpg

two more

eaton axle 3 speed tandem 003 (684x1024).jpg

eaton axle 3 speed tandem 004 (1024x613).jpg

I believe the inter axle shift is just a rod and lever/bellcrank arrangement , Personally I would set it up with a "morse " style push pull cable.

A cable would avoid the problem of axle movement on rod style linkage ,  Or get fancy and go with a vacuum can servo

Maybe a dump body style control ?

That is most assuredly the old M series Eaton axles - not a kit or anything of the like. There were not two speed axles in that style. The only three speed axles were two speed tandems that were wired or plumbed to operate one in high range and one in low for an intermediate. They did have a reputation for being hard on the power divider - but my dad had several back in the Emeryville era and worked well with minimal problems. Those M series tandems almost always had an aux. 3 or 4 spd ahead of them

dieselrick nice to hear from you again

the truck does indeed have an auxiliary transmission. any advice on where an id label might be found? right now I am going thru and changing all the fluids in the rear axles, transmissions, engine, etc. Then I have to go after a rear wheel cylinder, and that's going to create a huge "while I'm here" list of repair, repaint, refurbish items.

Thanks,