Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scott!

More plowing stuff

Not the straightest furrow...but I can make some excuses. :rolleyes: It was dark...and raining...and the trash was getting tough and I was plugging a lot more...

Let me know how it looks. Sorry, didn't get a picture before it got rained on for a week straight.

IMG_20160517_160626598_zps4gezxhxo.jpg

The coulters needed to be set a little different (I think) They looked decent plowing the sod, but in this sudan grass residue they needed to be moved into the moldboard quite a bit. Sorry purists, I kept rolling since the guy that plowed it in the fall didn't even have coulters on his (junk) 3 point plow!

IMG_20160517_160641483_zpsmxqavpld.jpg

Last but not least, I did it again. This brings the collection up to 4. I "needed" a plow for the WD-9 and this one came up for sale a couple blocks away. Let me know what you think.

IMG_20160517_181925050_zpssevc2kgi.jpg

First pic. Looks like it covered nicely.

Last pic. Doesn't look hurt any. That buster bar would add some weight. Is it 4 x 14 or 4 x 16"? Nice find.

This one is 4-14s. The buster bar is pretty unique. It is more of a spring tooth harrow than a buster bar. I will get a better picture when I get a chance.

As the weed flush comes I may plow up some oat cover crop with this new plow to try it out. I will be sure to get pictures of the buster bar in action.

Scott

That is a nice looking job, it looks like it was all plowed in one pass. That says you really have the plow adjusted properly.

GT&T

Scott

That is a nice looking job, it looks like it was all plowed in one pass. That says you really have the plow adjusted properly.

GT&T

Agree with GT&T . Also that plow looks pretty nice . The harrow will be interesting to see how much harrowing it does.

Tony

Looks fine, shallow for here but clean job. Fwiw, here, we dont know what coulters are on a plow. 100% rollovers, they dont have them. Kuhn or IH with a handful of others. The Kuhns have a "flipper" that works pretty good in sod. We disc (corn) or rottatill(sod) before plowing. I dont know of a single way plow even around to be honest. Funny how areas are different. We plowed 20 of 40 one year. Stopped at night and it rained 3" the next few days. Finished field, took uncle vibra shank to loosen the poured on stuff up. I bet it was 5 ton less silage per acre. 2' shorter. Amazing how it hurt growth.

Scott

You mentioned trying to plow down some oats. You and many others may already know this, but just to help others who may not know, I'm going to mention this. My dad would plow down green manure, clover, alfalfa, tall rye, oats, all cover crops, by using this method. We would tie a 8' - 10' long steel # 9 wire to each rolling coulter arm. Let these wires drag behind the plow one for each moldboard, when the plow goes in the ground the wires will bend over the cover crop and the plowed ground is flipped over top the sod. This will cover the green growth and really makes a nice looking plowed field.

GT&T

Nice job of plowing... Dad and Uncle don had harrows just like your back in the day. I think Mid-West manufactured them. Went through a cycle in this neck of the woods were everyone bought one and in a couple years they took them off and scrapped them. If the ground is dry and breaking up perfect for planting they can be nice. But if the ground is at all wet it will pretty much just comb surface and about all.

OTB - same thing about 150-160 miles due west of you, everybody had to get one of those plow harrows about 1965, 3-4 years later you could find them in the back corner of a shed somewhere. Noble made them too, but Midwest was most popular. On a 4-5 bottom plow they pulled like an extra bottom. I do think they smoothed out plowed ground some. Made that first pass over plowed ground smoother riding on the tractor, not as much as duals, but with duals and a plow harrow when plowing you could stay in the seat on that first pass.

Looks fine, shallow for here but clean job. ...

I thought it was plenty shallow, too! The problem is the plow was one notch above raking stubble when I turned on the headlands. Any lower and it would drag sorghum stalks. I'm not really sure how you would plow any deeper, but I would like to.

This one has remnants of a Mid-West decal.

Here is a shot of the stuff I plowed yesterday. Not near as pretty. It was still plenty wet and I had to slow down to 2nd. Pretty cloddy stuff. I hit it with the disc today and it broke up pretty good, but the clods are going to be BAD.

IMG_20160518_124535901_zpsc5bllffu.jpg

I see. Roll ovver 145 to 165 are pretty high clear too. Your last pic....this is why power harrows have become popular here. We custom have most heavy corn fields done now.

I see. Roll ovver 145 to 165 are pretty high clear too. Your last pic....this is why power harrows have become popular here. We custom have most heavy corn fields done now.

Don't take it wrong, I wasn't hating on you. I didn't know if there was a trick to plowing deeper or something I was missing.

Saw a guy plowing with one of those here yesterday ,looked like he had already disked it.lol

Here is a shot of the stuff I plowed yesterday. Not near as pretty. It was still plenty wet and I had to slow down to 2nd. Pretty cloddy stuff. I hit it with the disc today and it broke up pretty good, but the clods are going to be BAD.

That doesn't look too cloddy.

This is why I am told you MUST pull a harrow behind the plow or work the ground separate within hours of plowing when spring plowing. You have to break up the clods before they dry out. When grandpa would plow with his MD 10-20 years ago he would plow for an hour or two, unhook the plow, then hook up some kind of harrow to work down the clods.

Looking at that very first picture: before I adjust coulters I think you have something else that needs fixing. Why is the furrow wall clean in some parts but broken down in others? It looks like the plow is shallowing up and then kicking over, breaking down the furrow wall. Dull shares? Hitch adjustment?

What are you using, your 3 bottom #8?

Correct, the #8. I just got the #60 on Tuesday. I don't have a tractor available that can pull it right now. The WD-9 is about $5000 from ready. lol