747 unsecured load Bagram

New Englander

A few weeks ago while flying over brightly lit Bagram Airbase in the middle of the night I thought of these poor *********. Any pilot watching instinctively knew it was a CG problem but it turns out that it was more than that. The load broke free right on rotation and damaged the flight controls so that recovery was impossible:

http://www.skybrary.aero/index.php/B744,_Bagram_Afghanistan,_2013?utm_source=SKYbrary&utm_campaign=f93e931ef8-408_Mountain_Icing_25_04_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_e405169b04-f93e931ef8-276544237

Some of you guys have personal experience with these vehicles and know just how heavy they are.

Wow, what a classic stall! Never seen a 747 do one though! Having flown small planes I know how weight and balance can ruin your day! A friend of mine who operated an FBO had a story about how he almost died when a passenger stowed a large watermelon in the back "hat rack" shelf of a small Cessna and got it way out of the envelope. He had very little elevator authority, but was able to make it back around to land.

From sailplane airworthiness days

Seven coats of dayglo orange on the tail feathers of a DH Chipmunk was enough to totally wreck its balance with a light pilot.

Moral was a can of paint is heavy and most of it doesn't evaporate

Archived