Drone pics of plowing

billonthefarm

Took time yesterday to break out the drone and take a few pics.

image.jpg1_zpsjsjk66yl.jpg

Looks like Im plowing the moon a little. 109 cows ran in this 3 acre paddock during soring thaw. Its rougher than a cobb and hard as a rock. Low 3 in t/a.

image.jpg4_zpsfivztjnw.jpg

I have only flown my drone one other day so I need some practice. I found yesterday to be a bit complicated because instead of being behind the drone looking forward I was in front of the controls so it responded opposite of what it normally does.

image.jpg7_zpsg7if1xby.jpg

None the less I got the pics. Crash landed once, no damage. It is a neat angle that gives a different perspective. I had no idea that some one was driving past on the road till I looked at the pic. In this pic you can see the shadow of the drone at the bottom.

image.jpg2_zpshmrkc9oe.jpg

Sometimes a picture turns out to be something unique. I took a couple videos and if I can figure out how to get them on here I will post them.

image.jpg3_zpsy0q4xcow.jpg

I think this look like a toy tractor and plow.

Hope you enjoy.

bill

Were you moving in that first picture? I can see the exhaust smoke but it looks like you have no hands on the steering wheel. Autosteer, perhaps? :D

Like your tractor but really like your tub and sorting working setup. Boy can cows get wet land packed down. We graze the whole160 in the fall then in the spring have a 10 acre fenced field they calve in. That way we can no till one pass everything but the 10 acres. We even grazed a whole section of crop land until mid December here. That doesn't happen often.

Wow, if you can fly and still plow a straight furrow you must be really coordinated!!! LOL!

That's what I was thinking!

image_zpsgjgg0swb.jpg

The cattle working pens. This is the farm I winter cows. I built this 5-6 years ago. It works nice. Built it to hold 120 pairs.

bill

Wow :)

I like the ariel pictures.

Impressive and and interesting pictures.

How high was that last picture taken from?

And how high high can the drone fly?

Drones are pretty cool for plow days, even if they are a bit creepy flying around.

Public Service Announcement. Never plow and drone!!!

Your furrows will be crooked and there will be smirking.

Not with autosteer

Thanks for all fhe nice comments. I dont know all that much about drones. My wife bought it for me for christmas. This one is a dji phantom 3. Iirc maybe $500 or a bit more. Its amazing to play with. Range is 1/2 mile. Max. Altitude is 400 ft. Top speed is in the 20mph plus range. It operates from a app on my I-phone. It is very easy to fly. Will auto launch and land if you want. It has a come home mode where it will return to its take off point. You can set points and it will fly a course. Truely amazing technology for a fairly reasonable price. For me this will be mostly a toy but I could see other uses for it. I wont ever need to buy a aerial pic off of those traveling guys again! You could certainly scout crops with it. Might be able to checks cows with it some. Im going to take pics of a field we tiled this spring. Did I mention its a blast to fly? If anyone wants serious info got to Ag Talk and they have a drone discussion forum. My understanding is in the right hands this drone has many more capabilities but that is above my pay grade.

Im not very good flying it, just lack of practice. Trying to fly and plow was interesting. The tractor stayed in the furrow fine but because it was so rough I had my hands full. I am way better at plowing than flying! I stopped a couple times to move the drone where I wanted but in all the pics Im on the tractor it is moving. When I get time I will try to post the vidieos. I might have to get help from the ag talk guys but I will get it.

image.jpg1_zpsyokubeq2.jpg

The Phantom 3 standard.

image.jpg2_zps4h4nxklz.jpg

A successful landing is any landing that the drone is still in one piece!

bill

Nice shots It's really neat what you can do with them. I'm surprised you didn't break a rotor landing like that.lol..

The new version they came out with this spring is pretty fancy. It has auto track feature that would be pretty handy for what you were doing. Just set it and it follows you around like a lost puppy. Stupid little thing will reach speeds of 40 mph now too if I remember correctly. I'm still on the fence yet. I'd really like to have one but hate to part with the money.lol..

Awesome.

My new wanted toy :)

I'm curious your comment about using it to check stock made me think does it have a live video feed back to your handset? I'm assuming it would?

That is really neat!!

I'm thinking Brady Boy might need one of these for Red Power Roundup !!!

Danny

I was shocked it didnt break a blade. They do have a few scuffs now! I was sure it broke something as I was standing just a few feet away landing it when the dirt flew, of course I didnt have the spares with me. I believe it will follow me around, should do a little reading about that. Yes, you have live video feed while flying. The display also shows info on speed, direction and altitude as you fly. Anytime you let go of the controls it just stops and hovers in place. It has gps that will hold it stationary even in the wind. It is quite a little piece of technology!

bill

Archived