Bought this old TD9 a couple of weeks ago.

IMG_20160327_191136.jpg

image free hosting

IMG_20160327_190400.jpg

image hosting site no sign up

It was not running and had no gas cap on the tank so I only paid about what it was worth in scrap.

I took it home and cleaned the tank, hoses and changed the fuel filters. I also made a new gas cap.

When the time came to start it up I put a fresh battery in it and tried to crank it but it felt very tired.

The starter came off and got new bearings.

What a differense!

IMG_20160327_080657.jpg

pc screenshot

After the air was bled out of the system the motor fired up in a cloud of black smoke. But it did not respond very well to the throttle and it only ran for a few minutes and then it cut out. There were also a knocking noise like it was not running on all six cylinders.

I tried cranking it right away after it cut out but it did not want to start again.

I checked the filters for air but there were only fuel.

After about 10minutes I cranked it again and it started right up again only to cut out again after a minute or two.

I have tried many times now but its the same every time.

I also put on an electric fuel pump too feed the system but there are no improvements.

I think the problem is in the injection pump. Its an RD injection pump i belive. Not so common nowdays?

IMG_20160331_174117.jpg

picture upload

Are there any easy fix to this problem or do the pump need rebuilding or replacing?

//Johan from Sweden :)