Looking for information on paint types and qualities

Hey guys, I am planning painting both my IH1086 and my Dresser 175C this spring. I have a friend who is actually doing the painting for me at my shop. He wanted to use a Single stage urethane paint, but it's insane how expensive a gallon costs to make. We priced out several different brands from local shops(Napa, Bond Auto) and by the time you buy the paint, hardener, reducer and activator we were close to $350-375 a gallon!!

So, has anyone sprayed tractors, heavy equipment, implements with an oil based enamel and had good long lasting results? What about Majiic Paint from Tractor Supply? I can make a spray able gallon for less than $50.

I'm not looking for show quality results, I just want to look good for what it is, farm equipment. Thanks guys for the advice in advance

The time, work & effort involved in paint prep should warrant a quality paint.

@ 400.00 per gallon 600.00-800.00 would be about what you spend on quality paint. I am sure The prep labor ,ETC. will far exceed that and IF NOT then use the 50.00 T.S.C. stuff . You sure do not want to put 400.00 gallon paint over grease, rust & dirt.

I Just completed a 300U repaint, that I bought painted with good paint over grease, dirt, rust. Only way to cure that was with a media blaster! Just for information on my restoration quality paint jobs ,paint, primers, and all body prep supplies run about 40% of total cost of painting the tractor Using Poly-Urethane single stage.

JMHO,

Tony

I agree with the guys on using a good paint for high quality and show room finish but sympathize with those not wanting to spend the big dollars on work equipment. So for my tractors I use CIH Ironguard with hardener and a final coat of automotive clearcoat with good luck and stands up well to sun and abuse. Again though prep is everything paint does not mask dirt scratches oil grease or rust. Only cleaning sanding priming and final paint prep does.

Just my opinion, john

I agree with the guys on using a good paint for high quality and show room finish but sympathize with those not wanting to spend the big dollars on work equipment. So for my tractors I use CIH Ironguard with hardener and a final coat of automotive clearcoat with good luck and stands up well to sun and abuse. Again though prep is everything paint does not mask dirt scratches oil grease or rust. Only cleaning sanding priming and final paint prep does.

Just my opinion, john

Agree! Have seen very good results doing Irongaurd this way.

However, cost wise, what is the comparison doing it this way with clear app, Verses a poly-urethane single stage?

Haymaker 101 , just buyer-ware on TSC paint . It has very little light protection , will fade discolor ,etc ,very quickly.

Tony

Okay, thank you for the advice. I may just paint the dozer with tsc and let it fade. I cannot justify 2 gallons of paint at $800 for a bull dozer worth $6,000. At least it will look good from far...thanks again.

If you guys can recommend something that is $100-$200 a gallon I'd like to hear. Thank you

I think the case IH iorngaurd might be in that range. We use it on everyrthing we paint, as all of it is used equiptment being used more everyday

Ironguard is in that range and a gallon of decent clearcoat here with activator is around a hundred (there is better and worse) and will cover two or more gallons of paint (paint for color and cover clear for protection). I used TSC paint once and red was orange in less than a year on a wagon. Your call but I won't use it anymore.

John

Okay, I'm going to call my Case dealer Monday and I'll let you guys know what I find out. Does the clear coat help with shine? Make paint more durable? Provide UV protection? Will I still use a hardener in the paint? Let's here your recipient/ procedures for using CIH paint, (I ammsume it's an acrylic oil based enamel) thanks

Okay, I'm going to call my Case dealer Monday and I'll let you guys know what I find out. Does the clear coat help with shine? Make paint more durable? Provide UV protection? Will I still use a hardener in the paint? Let's here your recipient/ procedures for using CIH paint, (I ammsume it's an acrylic oil based enamel) thanks

I believe the hardener will add shine & durability & clear coat will increase protection & shine.

Also, Not sure your dealer but our I.H. dealer does not indorse hardener on their paint because its not on label ,however a good painter can give you ratio and it works.

I have a Farmall S.C. painted with Irongaurd & hardener ,No clear coat, and am very pleased.

Was done Mid 2014. Tractor was Blasted & I.H. primer used under it.

Please understand I am not a paint expert or even a painter, Just that since 2006 I have restored 9 tractors so I've been attending the school of hard knocks.lol, Trying to make them show quality.

Not to mention in my farming career I have painted with rattle can, junk sprayers , cheap paints,etc and they all did what they were suppose to; ADD COLOR. lol. Actually back then as long as they look good from afar,(in the field) the dust & dirt from farming would hide my sins close up!

I have a retired fella that does my painting now and he is very cantankerous. lol. Does not let me get away with anything.

Tony

post-8888-0-75641900-1459053954_thumb.jp

Hi Tony, thank you for the information and the picture of your tractor, looks great! You clearly take a lot of pride in your work and have show quality results that is something to be proud of. I will go and talk to my dealer tomorrow and see what they had to say and let you guys know. I am going to start with the bulldozer, which is a dresser 175 C

I would suggest calling these folks , They have pretty much any type of paint you want in kit form ,Paint + reducer +hardener In Urethane cost

per gallon including reducer is about $100 http://www.tcpglobal.com/RSP-AU1705-GL.html#.Vvg1rHrfFfE

I order supplies from them quite a bit ,quick ship ,very reasonable prices

Hey Kevinweq, that looks like some great pricing. I'm going to call them tomorrow and hopefully order 2 gallons for the dresser 175c. to me, the Cat yellow and Komotsu yellow both look on the darker side. I'm leaning towards the Boss yellow. What do you think would look best for a 70's track loader? Thanks again

Excellent , I hope they can help you out , Painting is so labor intensive it would be a shame to not use a half decent -long lasting

product

Here is some Turquoise Metallic ( House of Kolor epoxy primer /House of Kolor clear coat,(from TCP) Base coat purchased from Napa .

Shot this on my Travelall hood recently

post-77390-0-87223600-1459126940_thumb.j

post-77390-0-80890800-1459126961_thumb.j

post-77390-0-32645300-1459126972_thumb.j

Looks great, so what shade of yellowwould you pick to shoot the Dresser 175c?

Also, do I need a primer first if shooting the acrylic urethane? I've steamcleaned and wire wheeled the dozer and also sanded it to 320 grit. I was thinking about spraying Bulldogs adhesion promotor and than painting away.

I'm going to try to order the paint tomorrow in hopes of painting this upcoming weekend, ( weather permitting)

I am a beginner at painting , I have 3 trucks and 2 show cars under my belt , Maybe someone with more experience will chime in ,

I do know there is 2 kinds of adhesion physical and chemical , physical is the coating hanging on by the scratches put in the surface ,

Chemical is the coating bonding to another coating by melting or fusing the two together , I can't answer your question on acrylic urethane

whether primer is necessary , I will say that primer is fast, easy, and probably give a better end result , The Bulldog product may be all you need

again no experience with it though ,Whatever you choose to do Paint a small area first and see how it comes out ,That way if anything wrinkles or lifts

you have not wasted much product .

I can run your questions by my Napa paint guy , He is one sharp tack !

As for the shade of Yellow ----- I will leave that up to you , I thought the IH Yellow was pretty nice though

Thanks a lot for the insight and ideas. Im only leaning towards the acrylic urethane because that's what the painter recommended, would you spray spray a different type of paint?

Also, I didn't see IH Yellow under Restoration Shops acrylic enamels , but let me know if Im not looking in the right spot.

I have used Bulldog and I believe it's for using over paint... it softens the old paint and helps the new paint to bond to it..... great for use in door jambs where you can't get to all the tight spots to sand properly. I am in the process of rebuilding my IH 500E dozer. I went with Sherwin Williams Dimension 5.0 urethane enamel and also used a "wet on wet" epoxy primer. You put a good coat of primer on and let it dry for 1 hour then shoot the top color..... it worked great. I paid 500.00 for 1 gallon of urethane with the reducer and harder mixed 4-2-1 so that gives you 1 3/4 gals of reduced color and the gallon of Montana Big Sky primer mixed 1-1 with the reducer/hardner. I would have liked to have found something less expensive since I know painting everything all apart uses way more paint and I will have to reload again. While this isn't a show piece I am putting a ton of time into it and it will be outside so I don't want it to look like crap a couple years down the road. In the big scheme of things the extra 500 or so, while it hurts when you lay it out, is a wise investment.

When I worked at a dealership recently (I switched jobs 18 months ago) the paint we carried was manufactured by Valspar and labeled CaseIH.

I painted my 706 using CaseIH 2150 Red, 935 White, REN3001 Hardener and Dupont 3812 Reducer.

I didn't use the CaseIH primer because it tends to dry very slowly and I don't like the way it sands out; personal preference, I used a Dupont laquer primer/sealer.

I've seen several tractors painted with CaseIH paint and when the hardener is used it holds up well and has a very nice shine.

Just remember; good paint will not hide bad prep.