800 planter questions

bwmuldoon

Found an 800 planter on an auction. Its a 6 row Narrow, I'm on 4-36 right now and have little desire to change to 30" rows. I have no idea how this thing will sell, but if it were reasonable enough I am considering moving it to either 4-36" or even adding to it to get 6-36. I have an entire set of fertilizer tanks from my 800 that is now a bean planter so I could convert it to liquid without having anything more then a new pump in it. My biggest drawback is that the units are bolted directly to brackets welded on the frame. 6 new brackets from Messicks website to replace the weld-on brackets would run me $810, 4 would be $540. Or I could make my own to match the holes on the planter, but using angle iron similar to a John Deere 7000 that would cost much less. Am I thinking about this idea too much and should I just forget the whole thing? Maybe I have too much time on my hands right now...

post-57245-0-53072200-1457730580_thumb.j

post-57245-0-80654600-1457730607_thumb.p

Have a fab shop make new brackets and weld them to the tubing like the originals were. Should be fairly cheap

Have a fab shop make new brackets and weld them to the tubing like the originals were. Should be fairly cheap

This is essentially what I was thinking, only using angle Iron I could u-bolt them to the frame instead of welding, like my bean planter has, just wouldn't be an OEM IH bracket.

Factory tanks?

Aftermarket tanks like Demco's have brackets with u bolts. They could be moved wherever you want.

I do have factory IH planter tanks, and see what you're saying about demco or others having bolt on brackets. That would be a thought, just thinking about the cheapest way to get this done. More concerned about getting brackets to mount the row units to. Who knows, I may chicken out and let it go...

I'll keep that in mind. How can I find a sale bill?

In coffe shop " My auction" is title

As cheap as 800 IH planters sell buy what you want and then you don't have to mess with it.

I understand what you're saying and agree with you 100%, my biggest problem is finding what I really want nearby so that it isn't gonna cost me an arm and a leg to get it home.

Archived