Jump to content

DWF

Members
  • Posts

    1,038
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Posts posted by DWF

  1. They were a good grader, a lot of them still in use. A DD came with an Allis Chalmers 6cyl diesel lik used in a D17. Probably engine failed, thus the JD transplant. Probably the 4cyl AC gas engine was more common.

    DWF

    • Like 1
  2. McMaster-Carr has a good selection of Bridge Reamers. I had to make some 1/2 inch holes into 3/4 inch holes on a truck frame in a tight area. Worked good with a 1/2 inch drill. They aren't cheap, but are worth it for that type of work.

    DWF

  3. That should work. I had a 15C and can't remember putting oil in thru the dipsick. I still have a 530 loader with a 466. You fill it thru the dipstick hole, but it is maybe 1.25" diameter with the spin on T handle that tightens a rubber plug and the dipstick is attached to it.

    DWF

  4. At least it has the cat style tracks, a lot of them, that vintage still had the old shovel style flat pad type tracks. I had  1973  Bantam that had the new style tracks and looked at buying a 690A John Deere same vintage that still had the old style undercarriage.

    DWF

    • Like 2
  5. I have a Dresser TD-9H dozer and run 10W oil in the hydraulics but the transmission has Shell oil like hy tran. I  bought a 624G JD loader and the manual said to use HyGard in everything but the engine. I asked the shell dealer about using the oil I used in the TD-9 trany in the JD. He said no because the JD needs an additive in the oil otherwise it hurts the wet brakes, differential and hydraulics are common fluid on the JD.

    DWF

     

     

     

     

  6. 590D was the same as a Hitachi EX 150. The last truly built John Deere was a 690E in the mid 1990's. All 690's were John Deere designed. The 590D had a John Deere engine and the Hitachi had an Isuzu engine.

    DWF

  7. I had several older TD-9's, This was in about 1973 or so and was, if I remember right a 1950 TD-9. Sleeves needed to come out and we were using ready rod which kept breaking. Went to a shop and had a rod made and threaded out of much stronger steel. Sleeves still did not want to come out. I got some dry ice and put in the inside sleeve area and hot water in the block and they all came out fairly easy. Don't ask me any more info as it's beem too long for my memory.

    DWF

    • Like 1
×
×
  • Create New...