Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

23 Excellent

About chadd

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. No reason that they couldn't work. The picture doesn't show the gear width or their offset on the shafts... Two gears could be thin and one of them wide; add an offset between the two thin gears and you'd be in business... Sorry; the engineer in me just couldn't resist... :)
  2. We've plowed with a 710 3 bottom with a combination gauge wheel/tail wheel and short landside for 25+ years, and we haven't experienced any issues. Our soil is mostly blue and red clay, no sand whatsoever. Lots of rocks, though. Wear is rarely an issue around here, the issues are usually getting the moldboard to scour before you are done for the year and keeping rocks from cracking/splitting the moldboards. As others have mentioned, we replace the wear items when the wear reaches the frog, not before.
  3. Never Say Never Again? I had heard that the title was a tongue-in-cheek reference to when Connery told reporters he would never be in another Bond movie again after finishing Diamonds are Forever. The storyline was a modified version of Thunderball.
  4. 1) Connery 2) Moore 3) Dalton 4) Brosnan 5) Craig 6) Lazenby
  5. chadd

    C-200 Noise

    Agree with the rest on this one. Our 2500A with the C200 has had a knock/tick in it for the last 15 years. It doesn't sound great, but it hasn't gotten worse either.
  6. As others have mentioned, they did exist. I wouldn't say that they are prevalent around WI, but they are out there. My dad and I found one on a plow in a junk yard and took the beam extensions, plates, steering tubes, etc. and installed them on my dad's 3 bottom 710 to convert it to 4 bottoms about 8 or 9 years ago. We also installed the threaded rod and turnbuckle from the larger plows to reinforce the extension. Never had any issues with the extension, and it was tested. At one point my dad caught a tree root with the extension bottom and stopped the 966 dead in its tracks before the ro
  7. If you haven't already, I'd take a look through the MSC Industrial Supply "BIG BOOK". They are targeted more toward the metalworking industry than a hand tool supplier like Snap-On or Matco.
  8. That sounds like it is easy enough. Thanks for the procedure!
  9. The hand pump under the dash has developed a steady leak. I thought at first it was a leaking fitting or cracked tube, but it is coming from the seam between the rear cap/plate and the pump body. Is this just a replace an o-ring kinda deal, or am I going to need to rip it all the way down to the point that I should look at getting a reman'd one?
  10. To my knowledge, you could get either a rod or a cable. All very early kits were a rod only and later kits gave the option for either a cable or a rod.
  11. There is a lot of neat history up for auction there. The pre-40 tractors don't seem to make the rounds at most of the antique tractor shows anymore, which is a shame. Looking at the pictures reminds me of the antique tractor shows from 20 or 30 years ago. Definitely a lifetime collection. It is probably a good thing that it is a ways away from me; I already have too many projects of my own going on without adding a few more...
  12. On early 2000's GM trucks, wheel speed sensor failure or loss of signal causes this behavior, especially when you've lost more than one and especially if it is in the front. On these trucks, the ABS does a self test on start up when the vehicle is removed from park or neutral, the truck is in motion, and the brake is applied. After a stop or two with one bad sensor, it will usually recognize the issue (3 wheels moving, 1 not) and turn on the ABS warning light and disable ABS until the next key-on cycle. When two sensors fail, or one fails and the second is intermittent on the front axle, th
  13. Same here. The men and women behind the counter are usually ecstatic that I have part numbers for them, especially when doing the yearly order in spring. I e-mail them the list, they gather the items in between the onslaught of in person orders and then they give me a call when it is ready for pick up. They always tell me that they wish everyone did that.
  14. On our 1964 806, we have never had to fill the axle housings with oil using the fill plugs, but we did need to use the separate axle drain plugs to empty them. There may not be any cored holes between the transmission and the axles, but the axle bearings don't have seals between the housings, either. When the oil reaches the bottom of the axle bearing, it will start to fill the axle housings through the inner tapered roller bearing on the axle.
  15. As others have said, usually just "standard" options, decals/emblems, and paint color. I put "standard" in quotes because industrials are commonly seen with unusual options because they were often purchased with a specific use in mind. The industrials are more likely to be equipped with HD non-adjustable front axles, non-adjustable rear axles, and a foot throttle. Older ones could also be equipped with accessories from outside suppliers, like Pippin or Wagner loaders, backhoes, or blades until IH started manufacturing those items internally in the late 50s. Many industrials were sold with
  • Create New...