New user and first time poster here, long time googler and have found great info off this forum to help me out on other projects. I've read a lot of MCV/no lube posts on here and other sites, talked with several people, and have been left scratching my head. Any pointers, information, and advice would greatly be appreciated.
This is kind of a long winded story so bear with me, I want to try to be as thorough as possible.
We've had trouble on and off the last season or two with the TA in the old man's 806. I talked with a local wrench turner, he suggested going thru the MCV and installing a new pump. It got the works, gaskets, seals, orings, and a spring kit from Hy Capacity. I had a little trouble getting it to work so I had him take a look at it and it was said that it was good (he's a Hy Capacity dealer and was in the middle of a 806 TA at the time so I feel confident that the MCV was good). It didn't completely fix all our issues but we were trying to limp the old girl thru the spring until we had more time to tear it down. We've had a hunch that the TA was going, it was just a matter of time. Well it finally did while I had it hooked to the chisel plow. That was in April.
Fast forward to Christmas 2019, my brother and I had time off work so we tore into it. I ordered a new HD TA kit from Hy Capacity thru our local Case IH dealer. Everything came apart fine, everything seemed to go back together fine. Got the tractor all bolted back together, made all the connections, got everything ready to fire it up. Note also that the tractor received a new wiring harness as the old one had 50 years of rigging in it, and that the oil tell light wasn't operational when the TA quit. All that is in good working order now.
Once we got it fired up, warmed up, topped off all the fluids again, I started into doing pressure checks since the tell light wouldn't shut off. I had not moved the tractor more than a few feet forwards or backwards in the shop, more of a check to make sure everything functioned after being reassembled. First time around, I had good clutch pressure, the guage I'm using is in too high of graduations to give an exact figure (I have a 600psi gauge on order and should be here in a day or two) but reads closer to the 300psi mark than the 200 in both direct drive and on the TA side. I did not have lube pressure in either position, but if I hold the lever in between, it would hold 20psi. I called the local dealer, talked with one of their guys, I also talked to a gentleman at Hy Capacity. He recommeded installing the dowel pin that come with the kit in place of the steering check valve. Did that, clutch pressures remained the same, lube pressure came up to 20 psi on both sides. I then ordered and installed a new spring and check valve, the old one did show some wear. The new check valve didn't help at all, still had good clutch pressure with 0 lube pressure. I then called out to Hy Capacity again, spoke with the same gentleman, obviously he couldn't recommend running the tractor with that dowel pin in, I had read its possible to do, he confirmed that its possible to do, though highly discouraged from Hy Capacity. Talked with my local guy again, we concluded that running that dowel pin was the way to go, not knowing where exactly where the leak is coming from, but hoping the blockage would be enough to compensate for the leakages (keep in mind the old girl has 8500 hours on the clock).
So off came the MCV again, dowel was installed, all the connections were made again with the hope that would cure our issue. Fired the tractor up, still good clutch pressures, seemed to have 20 psi for a bit while the oil was cold. As the tractor warmed up, it started to loose pressure slowly. If you crank the wheels to lock, it drops straight to 0. If i press the brakes, the pressure drops. Makes no difference whether its in DD or TA. Pressure still comes back if i hold the TA lever in the middle position. I read on one forum or another to try blocking the oil line that feeds the brakes. tried that while it was still warm, lube pressure sits around 16 psi, but in time the pressure drifts off to 0.
Obviously I have some kind of internal leak. I've ruled out the brakes, which leaves the steering, the TA itself, or the MCV to be the culprit, unless I'm missing something. I haven't disassembled the MCV, it only had a few hours on it before the old TA failed. The steering sucked on that tractor all my life (I'm 27 for what its worth), but you could crank the wheel around with one finger after installing the new pump and going thru the MCV. I have not touched anything steering related yet. One thing to note as well, my local guy asked if I had lube pressure when I went thru the MCV in the spring, I dont remember checking for it, we may not have had it then since the light didn't work and that was the cause of death of the old TA.
I'm hoping one of you wise gentlemen have some thought, things to look at, things to check, general insight that might point me in the right direction.