Jump to content

cwburrell

Members
  • Content Count

    76
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

8 Neutral

About cwburrell

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Profile Information

  • Location
    D'Hanis Texas
  • Interests
    Currently have an IH 3688,5088, 1460 combine, International Loadstar 1600, Case IH 7110. I grew up with two 1460 and one 1440 combine along with a 986, 1086, 5088 and 7130. Red has been with me for years.

Recent Profile Visitors

517 profile views
  1. Haven’t been back to the combine since I posted this but I can answer a few things. Hydro tank is full with a new filter. Transmission is definitely in gear. I put it in neutral and ran the hydro all the way forward and reverse. I can put it back in gear and it tries to move a little in all 3 gears. It drove itself right into its place 16 years ago. With only 931 hrs it shouldn’t be worn out, I think something is just stuck from sitting. I have a 10,000 psi gauge just not sure exactly where to connect it. I’ll also try dragging it out of the holes it’s in as TB5288 mentioned. Was something I
  2. I’ve been working to get an old 815 combine up and running. Posted in the projects forum if you’re curious. It’s been sitting since around 2004. I have it running but I can’t get it to move. It tries but can’t get itself out of the shallow holes it’s sunk into. Acts like the hydrostatic drive isn’t building pressure. I checked the valve on the foot and inch pedal but it seems to be fine. I’m sure something is stuck in either the pump or drive motor. Doesn’t appear to be stuck brakes because it tries to move a little bit and doesn’t make much whining noise from the hydro or load the engine as
  3. I checked the pedal this morning but everything seems to be fine there. Returns all the way up and the valve operates.
  4. Auger seems to be set about right. This thing was one step short of making complete cornmeal. To the point that there was a white dust coating the outside of the machine after picking a sample. 😂
  5. SDman I haven’t been back on here lately but I sure appreciate your input. I’ve had my dad and uncle (Original owners of my 1460) ask me the purpose of the specialty rotor and i didn’t have a good answer other than it handles tough conditions better. Conditions that we just don’t have here like soybeans or wet corn. So it’s good to understand the details of its design. I really like the specialty rotor in milo and wheat which are the main crops I run through it and also the toughest conditions. Not sure I’m willing to give up that performance but I’ll look into the Gorden bars. I’ve about conv
  6. I did find a radiator here close by out of a salvage 1440. Thanks though
  7. I finally had a chance to get back to the 815 project. It fires up and runs good but I can’t get it to move. It tries but it’s not able to pull itself out of the holes it’s settled into. Acts like something is bypassing in the hydrostatic drive and not building pressure. I changed the hydraulic filter but didn’t seem to help. Anyone have any experience with this?
  8. Down here anything over 14% gets docked at the grain house and over 15% is subject to being rejected. I don’t have the luxury of storing it in my own bins and drying it. I don’t have any rasp bars with spikes.
  9. Wanted to post an update on this. I brought my 1460 out and even it was cracking a little corn. More than I’ve ever seen in 35 years but I was able to adjust it out. The corn was testing below 8% which isn’t that unusual for south Texas dry land corn. Tried to put my 8 row header on the 1460 but it wouldn’t lift it. Years ago we removed the third header lift cylinder because it got damaged. Been a long haul doing 300 acres 4 rows at a time. Just for the heck of it I changed the vane angle on the 1680 to the fast position and also went to the slow position but it didn’t change much. I tried th
  10. Sounds like I’m running a dragster in a go cart race. I had a feeling that was the issue but wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing anything. I’ll dust off the old 1460 today....she’ll get the job done. Thanks for all the input everyone
  11. I started out with every wire in and was down to 200 rpm on the rotor with it opened to 6 on the settings. It was still making corn meal at that point
  12. Yes I did. Running an 8 row head. The corn is very weak. Maybe between 30-40 bushels. We’re in a terrible drought here and the corn is very short. So short that in some areas of the field the ears are turned down and the silk end is nearly touching the ground. Can’t run very fast because the points are touching the ground and I’m trying to give the gathering chains a chance to grab the ears. On the other end I can get up to 6 or 7 mph. Any faster I start overrunning the header. Seems a little better the more I can jam in. The guy I’m picking for has some better corn in another field so I might
  13. Forgot to mention the moisture. I never took a sample because I know it’s very dry and I was focused on the cracking issue. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was down around 10 or so on the moisture.
  14. Not really grinding the cobs. I would say they are coming out in halves on the average.
  15. Normal setting is 400-500 according to the book. Normally run the old 1460 about 450 which is where I started and was making corn meal. Of course that was before removing every other wire from the concaves. I believe I was at about 300 after removing the wires.
×
×
  • Create New...