Jump to content

Leaderboard

Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 05/06/2018 in all areas

  1. I was looking for a tractor to do small jobs mostly involving raising tobacco. Something to spray pre-plant, pull the planter, move wagons in the field, etc. I was leaning towards a 666 to get the 312 as i didn't want a gasser and didnt want a 282. Then I found a 756 that was getting antifreeze in the oil, and had the idea to put a 312 in it. This was the tractor before I started, it was in pretty good shape but it wasn't the way I wanted it to be. I don't think the German is a bad engine, it's just not my first choice. So I started tearing it apart and got the engine out and the 312 in. I got a 400 series rear plate and had a welding shop cut it down to match the narrower bell housing. Got a 966 clutch and flywheel and bolted that up and hung the motor on the tractor. Once I did that I learned that I had a larger project than I anticipated. Then I tore it down a put a set of sleeves and pistons in it. Along the way it got a new radiator as mine didn't look too healthy, new water pump, sleeves and pistons, sent the head off to be gone through and cleaned out, new injectors, new fenders, new clutch assembly, and a new wiring harness. I should note that a 756 wiring harness is what I used even though I changed engines, and it worked and I only had to change one or two wires I think. I used 666 upper and lower radiator hoses and they were just right. I changed over to the new style alternator while I was at it and the harness was set up for that. I got the harness from Brillman and I was happy with it. I used the crossover throttle linkage that a big frame 66 series has that crosses over behind the starter. That took a little practice to get in the right position to get the amount of travel that I wanted. This linkage interfered with the German's either assist, so I used the 312's setup and extended the wires on the wiring harness to reach to the air cleaner where the 312's is mounted. The 312 front mount holes do not line up with any of the holes in the frame rails, so I cut new holes then put a plate on and welded that to the frame rail to hold everything in position. I put the tractor all together and ran it some and then went to put the sheet metal back on it. Then came the next problem. The hoods wouldn't line up. Then I measured the rear plates and found the German plate is 5/8" thicker, to take care of that issue, Ed Leaman had a set of spacers that were machined just for a case like this. Once I put them in the hoods fit perfectly. The hood off a 312 powered small frame tractor is just right to fit on the 756 and you need it because of the air cleaner door bubble. This one just has the pre-cleaner on it because I didn't get to take it off yet. I had to take a little more material out of the rear support of the wide front so it had enough clearance around the oil pan. So far I really like the tractor. We had it on the dyno and it showed 80 hp. Here it is next to our 706 with the 310 with an M&W turbo on it. It is a nice running motor but I'm still happy to have a 312 in my 756. Maybe I'll find a turbo setup to put on mine but it's not high on the list.
    1 point
  2. I was pulling it in 1st gear and if I dropped it all the way down I could stop the tractor dead in its tracks. It wouldn't power out, just sit and spin. When I got done I took my little boy on his first tractor ride.
    1 point
×
×
  • Create New...