tony in ca.

Progress report on my 66 I.H. pick-up restoration

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

  Tony you may get older and get other interests but you WON'T never forget the tractors!!  You have too much red paint in your veins for that!!!   lol

You Got that Right twostepn 2001,  My heart is with the tractors plus my sweat & blood in restoring them.  However , as I get older it may be fun to have the P.U. for the lighter side of going to shows ,Drive it to local car shows, Hopefully wife will enjoy it, that's why I 'm putting vintage air in it, not having to tie down the big boys every time we show I.H.

  Save tractors for the more serious shows and P.U. for smaller venues.

    Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Frame has been blasted and ready for powder coat.

  You can not believe the factory bird-crap welds back in those days ,now that they are clean its shocking!  They have held all this time no reason to believe they will not hold another 50 years of clean, easy living . We looked for cracks or weakness found none. Goes to show don't need beautiful welds to hold, just do it right.  lol

    few pic's.

     Tony

IMG_2966.JPG

IMG_2967.JPG

IMG_2968.JPG

IMG_2969.JPG

IMG_2965.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

IMG_2961.JPG

IMG_2960.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 2:29 PM, tony in ca. said:

  

  You can not believe the factory bird-crap welds back in those days ,now that they are clean its shocking!  They have held all this time no reason to believe they will not hold another 50 years of clean, easy living . We looked for cracks or weakness found none. Goes to show don't need beautiful welds to hold, just do it right.  lol

    few pic's.

     Tony

 

      That reminds me of one of my uncles. Pipeline welder for many years then worked at a fire truck factory welding stainless steel water tanks.   When he saw a ugly weld with a bad bead, he always said " Ain't much fer purty but **** fer stout."    :)

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

 

We always said ugly shoots, and it did

 

others have seen me when new equipment is on display, I end up looking at the welds.  The cheaper equipment normally has uglier welds, but not always, it doesn't always make it strongermake 

 

anymore truck pictures Tony?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

We always said ugly shoots, and it did

 

others have seen me when new equipment is on display, I end up looking at the welds.  The cheaper equipment normally has uglier welds, but not always, it doesn't always make it strongermake 

 

anymore truck pictures Tony?

 Hopefully , When I see red paint  or black powder coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

            Frame just out of furnace this morning.

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2974.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Prep

IMG_2995.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2991.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 8/25/16   FIRST SIGN OF PAINT!!!!!!!

       Rod called this AM that he had painted few pieces few days ago and wanted me to confirm the color.

         Yes color is what I envisioned. Cab will go to paint next week.

       few pictures.

          Tony

IMG_3008.JPG

IMG_3009.JPG

IMG_3012.JPG

IMG_3013.JPG

IMG_3016.JPG

IMG_3017.JPG

IMG_3018.JPG

IMG_3019.JPG

IMG_3021.JPG

IMG_3023.JPG

IMG_3027.JPG

IMG_3029.JPG

IMG_3030.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

IMG_3032.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good Tony!  Is this the same painter that is doing the 806?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, looking good!

Are you doing a two tone in the cab, or one color?

I've seen some two tone combinations that look sharp.

Won't be long now. I better start planning my trip west.

Mark

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ohio farmer said:

Tony, looking good!

Are you doing a two tone in the cab, or one color?

I've seen some two tone combinations that look sharp.

Won't be long now. I better start planning my trip west.

Mark

  Thank You Gentlemen,

       Mark, No I am planning on Solid red .

            Finally , hopefully we have momentum going now. lol.

               Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Looking good Tony!  Is this the same painter that is doing the 806?

        No ,  This is a body shop/restorer.

           Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The home stretch....like mile 12 of a 25 mile marathon home stretch!  Looking good.  Is it same paint as tractors? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TroyDairy said:

The home stretch....like mile 12 of a 25 mile marathon home stretch!  Looking good.  Is it same paint as tractors? 

No , Its Sherwin -Williams , little lighter or brighter.  He thought tractors were darker then should be on vehicle  ?

     Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that is so great to see, and I like the red. Nice choice Tony

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very Sharp!

It's quite the contrast from paint shops here in Ontario. All the stuff outside in the SUN! Here everything would be in the building and remain there till it was pretty much completed. Too much humidity here I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, rjpont said:

Very Sharp!

It's quite the contrast from paint shops here in Ontario. All the stuff outside in the SUN! Here everything would be in the building and remain there till it was pretty much completed. Too much humidity here I guess.

Yeah it don't rain much in Tonys part of the world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, rjpont said:

Very Sharp!

It's quite the contrast from paint shops here in Ontario. All the stuff outside in the SUN! Here everything would be in the building and remain there till it was pretty much completed. Too much humidity here I guess.

  He does not worry much about weather till end of Sept. then he wants everything inside.  Usually Sept. through April are the wet months.

    We are starting to feel fall in the air but moisture and humidity is still low.  He paints in a heated paint booth but after its dried he like curing it in sun.

            Tony

        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, M Diesel said:

Yeah it don't rain much in Tonys part of the world.

 Your right MDiesel . We start praying for rain after harvest in Oct .and keep praying till May ,With a break three weeks in Feb. during Almond Bloom. lol.

    Sometimes good Lord listens but lately not to much.lol.

      Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

   Little more paint & progress.

        Sorry about all the dust on the black frame.   Was able to source new ball joints .

     Seeing little more red paint.  The Engine & Tranny ready for paint.  We are working valve covers to high light "International "

      Tony

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

IMG_3122.JPG

IMG_3124.JPG

IMG_3125.JPG

IMG_3126.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3129.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tony, 

Is that the original motor your putting back in it??

Josh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Josh from CA said:

Tony, 

Is that the original motor your putting back in it??

Josh 

       Hi Josh,

         No its not , It had a six cylinder and this a 1966 I.H. 345 . It was a option that could of been ordered that year.

           Tony

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking good, Tony.

thanks for the update. That SW red is very sharp.

Is the "International" highlighting on the valve covers, all done by hand?  Red covers with white text?

Love that the way that looks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now