tony in ca.

Progress report on my 66 I.H. pick-up restoration

Checked on pick-up progress today.3/4/16

Cab just needs another coat of sealer and its going to paint. I saw a sample of the paint and its pretty close to my Red tractors. Going to be Sherwin -Williams Geneses Automotive Poly -Urethane tinted to I.H. 2150. At this point I believe we are going single stage to get a deeper finish. Base- Clear Vrs. Single stage ,both have pros & cons.

The bed needed a little more seam work so they are going over all the seams.

Then bed will go to primer then sealer before paint.

I have some pictures. I know they have all basically looked the same, like no progress, but believe me I see the work being done.

Of course mine is not only one he is doing so there are times it sets.

Tony

post-8888-0-38991500-1457138978_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-63568400-1457138998_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-41395500-1457139022_thumb.jp

When cab is off for paint ,Frame will go to powder coat, Can't wait to move forward to frame.lol

post-8888-0-91199000-1457139107_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-35927000-1457139127_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-42299700-1457139152_thumb.jp

Tedious seam work in bed.

I'll check on it in another 3 weeks or so to see if its gone to paint. Don't like to check to often because I start getting impatient !

Tony

post-8888-0-46084500-1457139312_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-35836400-1457139333_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-60047300-1457139352_thumb.jp

Tony,

thanks for the pictures and update on your binder.

Coming along nicely.

I'm always checking RP to see if you have any new posts or pms to me, about the truck.

Your binder buddy,

Mark

Good job ,your story and truck hits close to home ,first my name is also Tony, second my first ride was my dads old1965 IH pickup it was sitting out back behind the corn crib only ten years old but the body was so far gone .I patched up the holes in the floor boards. And after a gallon or two of Bondo I painted it as I look back it was the worst body work you ever seen ,but it was mine and paid for ,it had a three speed tranny ,with a 6 inline and no matter how hard I tried I could never blow up that motor ,I wish I had that truck today.

I am practicing patients, Troy !

Tony

4/8/16 Update

Does not look much different but much has been done .

Bed is primiered dash is primered and installed still working on cab & doors.

I am so ready to see red paint!

I never thought a small P.U. body would need so much sanding and lining. lol

I will say standing on rear at angle the bed looked like a mirror.

Few pic's,

Tony

post-8888-0-15322200-1460219477_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-09914100-1460219504_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-94614000-1460219529_thumb.jp

Couple more

post-8888-0-51133800-1460219654_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-58389200-1460219671_thumb.jp

BeeeYoootiful , Tony that will be a truck that turns some heads , Glad to see all the progress :)

There is an outfit building the padded dash for the round body trucks , Did yours have one originally ??

BeeeYoootiful , Tony that will be a truck that turns some heads , Glad to see all the progress :)

There is an outfit building the padded dash for the round body trucks , Did yours have one originally ??

Yes, It had padded dash, small center headliner , padded center door panels.

8/1/16   Have not been posting much on this project because body work has been arduous. Lot of lining up seems, sanding , redesigning rear bumper brackets etc,

Plugged up stake pockets & welded old bumper bracket holes in back. welding old heater holes shut ,will go with Vintage Air which will do both, Air conditioning & heat.

Bumpers being chromed along with door latches, hinges, hood hinges. Grille will be iodized to look original. Today' s pics show final prep for paint and now that lining body is done its time to turn to frame.

We are going to de-ark rear springs to bring her down a little & front is torsion so easy to set it where we want and I want it little lower then back.

Frame will be powder coated black along with rear end.   Notice on fourth pic . we did a flush mount gas cap to do away with the large hole and rubber hose that in the old days I remember let fumes into cab.

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2910.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

The bed took an ungodly amount of time being its metal floor ( wood would of been much easier) and I wanted it showing ,painted .( No rino lining) Lining the seams around fenders & squaring bed and taking any un-even from the floor ribs out. Notice the bumper bracket holes are no longer along with no stake pockets.   Binders were made tough for work but crude in many ways. imho.

Last pic .original muffler and tail pipe were still on frame with very little life left in then when we undid clamps the insides of muffler fell out with pipe .lol.

We are going to keep the original suspension and drum brakes . My thoughts are they brought this truck to here ,rebuilding them should take it to all I want it to do and keep it as original as possible.  Other then Vintage air & I'll probably do some sort of custom seats ( Original I.H. seats are pretty basic) I'am trying to keep the original look and trying to enhance it.

Tony 

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2915.JPG

IMG_2918.JPG

IMG_2919.JPG

Man, patience is a virtue you have abundance of

You will be rewarded for the efforts being put in now when they count. Keep it up!

Tony, thanks for posting new pictures.

Slow but sure, it's coming. Will be very special when it's done.

Can`t believe you`re not gonna weld that exhaust up and keep it original Tony...

Sorry guys, Did not realize I had two posts going on this project.

Hopefully B.J. can combine them

Tony

2 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Sorry guys, Did not realize I had two posts going on this project.

Hopefully B.J. can combine them

Tony

I merged them. :D

Thank You B.J. ! You always come though to help me stay right side up in the tech world.

Thanks ,

Tony

8 hours ago, MTO said:

Can`t believe you`re not gonna weld that exhaust up and keep it original Tony...

As hard as it is to find parts, Don't be surprised.lol.

Tony

45 minutes ago, tony in ca. said:

As hard as it is to find parts, Don't be surprised.lol.

Tony

Probably more steel in that old one then in a new one, and it's original

Thanks for the update Tony, I have been wondering about the Truck. Heck we are getting impatient waiting on it, how can you be so calm?

1 hour ago, AKwelder said:

Thanks for the update Tony, I have been wondering about the Truck. Heck we are getting impatient waiting on it, how can you be so calm?

Thank God I have my tractor projects to keep me busy and my day job .

If a person had saved the money and this was his life long  project to enjoy watching go together , It would be crazy making. I've had no problem with hours spent, he only bills after 50 hour accumulate and itemized statement for hours and parts. I go in about twice a month to see work being done. There are weeks that no work is done to it.

I have had couple talks with him but I see what's going on , He has about eight customs going at same time plus he has his insurance body repair. has about ten employees and they are young guys so every once in a while he has to deal with hangovers, jail time , Angry Girlfriends & wives and just plain quitting employees. Good body men today, are not as prevalent.

Other time consuming item is that these binders are harder to find parts for ( lot of scouts etc . but 66 pickup is slimmer pickins) The rear bumper alone held us up three months looking for a good repairable chrome one . Most of these p.u.'s had heavy duty farm bumpers. Finally had to move forward found one but we had to plug original holes in bed and cut new brackets. Fords & Chevy's you can just about order everything out of catalog. I am really concerned when we get down to finishing touches ,That when it get hairy with the tractors every screw etc needs to be right.

Like he says you can't just go get someone new and turn him loose, His Name and reputation is on the line.  He says done before 18 but I do not expect it before  2018 which will be a four year process. I'll be 72, so ,by then will  be ready for something new besides tractors , (I think)  Also, I can spread the cost out four years won't feel as bad. (Four Crop Years) lol.

Tony

11 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Like he says you can't just go get someone new and turn him loose, His Name and reputation is on the line.  He says done before 18 but I do not expect it before  2018 which will be a four year process. I'll be 72, so ,by then will  be ready for something new besides tractors , (I think)  Also, I can spread the cost out four years won't feel as bad. (Four Crop Years) lol.

Tony

Tony you may get older and get other interests but you WON'T never forget the tractors!!  You have too much red paint in your veins for that!!!   lol