Sign in to follow this  
Cp 856

706 High Low Shift Fork

Cp 856    0

I finally got time to work on the tractor this week I got the range cover off and the cam and rollers and everything else looks new I think the problem is in the shift fork how much movement is in between the shift fork and the shift collar it seem like it is a lot. I have never had any problems with the tractor coming out of gear it was just too much movement in the shifter everything from the shift handle is tight this is the only thing that I find with excessive movement in it. How hard is it to replace the shift fork. thanks for the help

take the bolt out of the shift fork, unless its been updated to the snap ring style shaft, push the shaft backwards than take the third link plate or flat plate if its a fast hitch, reach up from behind and pull shaft out the back. Has the bolt come loose on shaft or broken. to me it would have to be really bad if your having trouble getting hi and low.

Cp 856    0

I am just having trouble getting high but lots of movement in shifter handle with very little slop in linkage when you get it in gear there is lots of movement in shift handle it seams like all the gears are pushed forward reverse is where neutral normally is and hard to put park lock on. I have to play with it to get neutral and get handle in the right spot to get into park

GT&T    0

Cp

Where are you located? I wonder if you could take a video so we can see what you are talking about? I'd like to have a look at what you are talking about.

GT&T

If it's that bad up above I could see it not going to high since its at the top of shift quadrant. My guess is you may need to take handle off and maybe even knock out the shaft the high-low rides on. Probably need to have the handle bored out and a bushing pressed in. If the shaft is really wore a machine shop could make one, since this style is not available aftermarket.

GT&T    0

If it's that bad up above I could see it not going to high since its at the top of shift quadrant. My guess is you may need to take handle off and maybe even knock out the shaft the high-low rides on. Probably need to have the handle bored out and a bushing pressed in. If the shaft is really wore a machine shop could make one, since this style is not available aftermarket.

Brian

I'm like you, there is something that just doesn't make sense about this one. That is why I'd like to look at it.

Fred

Cp 856    0

I will try and take a video to night when I get home from work. I have everything tore apart rite now for the shift lever. When you are shifting gears it feels like it snaps into gear and will move fine in reverse and low but it has a lot of free movement in the shift levers all the linkage feels tight there is a little play in the shift lever bushing but not much. It has never jumped out of gear.

GT&T    0

Cp

I do not understand how this tractor can have " a lot of free movement in the shift levers" while at the same time, "all the linkage feels tight". :huh: I'm not being hard to get along with, but some where between where the linkage feels tight, and right where it has a lot of free movement is where the problem is. I've had to work on a lot of these things over the years and they can be difficult, but what has to be eliminated is any loose motion. I know it is difficult to put in writing and even more difficult to read what is wrong.

That must be what they mean when they say, " You just had to be there".

GT&T

IHC826    0

I had a 706 with a very similar problem, it would go into reverse and low, but when you let the clutch out in high it would sit there not moving and you could hear gears grinding. First I simply pulled the top cover off the range trans and pulled the shift fork out. The problem was that the collar was not sliding far enough onto the high gear so the tractor would not move because it was basically still in neutral. Went to the salvage yard and got a less worn fork and put that in. That worked for about a 3 years and then ran into the same problem again. I decide to fix it right the second time so I split the tractor. I found a replacement neutral gear and collar that IH had released in later years to fix this very problem. The neutral gear now had two groves in it that were designed to some how bind to the collar when it was put into gear so that it would never allow it to jump back out of gear. The replacement collar was also about 1/8" wider which allowed it to slide onto the high gear farther. Here is a picture of the part I replaced, the old ones are at the top and new ones along the bottom. You can see the grove that was cut and also notice how much less worn the grove where the shifting fork goes on the collar is.

post-119718-0-39862000-1454350032_thumb.

IHC826    0

Here are a few more pics of the one I did. I also had the shifting fork rebuilt my a machine shop.

post-119718-0-93480200-1454350402_thumb.

post-119718-0-90277100-1454350662_thumb.

post-119718-0-79595500-1454350911_thumb.

post-119718-0-07276100-1454350927_thumb.

Cp 856    0

This all helps I am going to rebuild all the shift bushings and linkage and start there it all felt good with what I think was minimal slop but there is something wrong somewhere because it goes into gear good and stays but you can still move the shift lever quite a bit before it wants to switch gears thanks for all the help it is greatly appreciated I will keep posting my findings it is probably something stupid I missed