cadam99

international 454 wiring diagram

hi

i bought a 454 tractor and someone cut up the dash wiring so i bought a new dash harness but i'm not 100% sure where a couple wires go and i can't find a wiring diagram i bought a shop manual but it doesn't have a wiring diagram on it

dose anyone have one ?????

theres 3 wires on the alternator one goes up to the amp meter, then the 2 in the plug (one goes to the starter) and the other one goes somewhere up under the dash but i don't know where???????

thanks

chris

Gas or diesel? Internal or external voltage regulator? All are a little different, and you really need to have the correct harness for your setup or you'll drive yourself nuts.

I'm assuming you got the correct harness for your setup from somewhere that uses the original wire colors. On all versions, the light blue wire goes to the ammeter. With external VR the yellow wire goes to the VR connector (3 or 4 wires end up there), with internal VR it goes to a diode or resistor that can then connect to various things depending on whether gas or diesel. If you have a tractor that started life with an external VR and was later converted to a modern Delco alternator it may not need to go to anything (tape over the VR plug). If there's a pink wire and you have an external VR it goes to ground up where the external VR is. If there's a red&white wire and you have an internal VR it goes to the starter on the battery side.

Note that these guys can have Lucas, Delco, or some combination of electrical parts, too. Since there are so many variations I can't assume any responsibility if your harness doesn't correspond to what's actually installed on your tractor, and things blow up :-(

On Johnson Tractors website they have a link to wiring diagrams for IH tractors

Hi new to this site just bought a ih454 gas is 15-40 good to put in for oil or any suggestions  thank you 

Hi new to this site just bought a ih454 gas is 15-40 good to put in for oil or any suggestions  thank you