Mountain Heritage

Trucks......Likes, dislikes, pros, cons

Neighbor has a 2500 crew cab short bed hemi. Loves it. Pulls everything with it.

I had a 3500 dually hemi regular cab with a utility bed. (Company truck) it weighed 11-12k. With tools and gear. I

Regularly pulled a 20' bumper hitch trailer with a 8k lb machine behind it. I always said it had a weird torque curve. I'm used to diesel power. BUT it would pull all that day after day. It was overloaded. Never had one issue in 130k miles.

I have a 07 gmc. Dad has a 00 and a 06 duramax. All 3 trucks are rusting. Brake lines falling off. Frames rusty. Paint coming off roof of 06. Countless problems with 2500 on sensor's and trans cooler leaks. Injectors going out like candy. Glow plugs, keep em in the glovebox. Aluminum wheels corroding all over. Did I mention this truck just turned 75k. 07 has rusty everything and had a fair amount of issues. Dash rattles and I am tempted to put my foot through it because I can't find it. Dash lights burn out and can't be fixed cheaply. Center console is busted from my arm resting on it. Wiring to blower melted and now 3-5 doesn't work on switch. I could keep going.

I have a 12 dodge 2500 diesel. Love it. I feel the Chevy has everybody beat for luxury and ride. They will not hold a load like a dodge. But my ram rides a little tougher and not as fancy and dads duramax. After all my Chevy issues especially rust and paint falling off I'm passing on gm until they prove me wrong again. I'm sure they will.

Ford number one seller for what 38 or 39 years now. Must be something good there. Tin box, always felt that way in the chevy.

You do realize that GMC and Chevy combined have always outsold Ford right?

And plain f150 2wd always win govt bids!

Mountain....ii have a 05 6.0 chev 2500 4x. Hit 192000 today pullong the pass with a gross wt of 25500#. Got with 100k and serviced it with all synthetic oils. Been very good rig. Frt brakes 1x. Rears are 20% OEM now. Had the pcm retuned for cleaner shifts and power and love it. Brother has 11 ex lb 4x duramax. Very nice to tow the cattle. Just goes. 11 mpg vs my gas 7 loaded. It does have cheap tires on it when we got it. Rides a bit rough imo than my 05. Dad has a 14 crew 2500 4x gas...we borrowed it for rv trip. The 6 sp is nice but my retuned 05 will kill it on the pass and get better milage. Little disappointed by its ump and mpg around town. I think it has the 3.73 gears, not sure if its available though. 4.10s would be better for the power range. Feels sluggish vs my 05. I am assuming its my re set computer.

We're GM guys. Dad was dodge till late 70s and he had a unhappy experience with a old d250. Here was Ford and now clearly GM land. Dodge is pop too but ford is like 10% including work trucks now it appears. Automotive..something.com did a great fair comparison last nov. Nothing impressive about ford f350, gm 3500 handled loads the best, with less hp. Dodge was floaty but had the best fit and interior. Looking at trucks in Canada now with Exchange. ...go luck. They are 10k cheaper with .69 rate. Every dealer here got KMh dash pick ups!

I like the things I hear about the 6.4 Hemi- excellent power but will shut down 4 cylinders and sip fuel when you don't need the power. But that is really the only thing about a Ram that I would like. I'm honestly not sure what could convince me to ever buy another Chrysler product (aside from a vintage one). But there are dealers that put a lifetime warranty on at least the power train, and that would be well worth it if you decide that Ram is for you.

The GM twins are gonna be under-powered compared to Ram's big engine, and even the Ford. But people like the ride and the durability seems good. Only downside I've seen on my dad's is a massive blind spot right behind your head when backing to the left, but that is a regular cab. Not sure how the crew would be.

Could you expand on your reasoning for not buying another Chrysler product?

I must be in the minority but I like the the way the Ram trucks ride much more than I do the GM twins.

I bought my wife a Jeep Patriot brand new in the fall of '12. It was basically against the advice of people here who said to get a Subaru, but the Subaru dealer was jacking us around on trade-in value of her Impala. We traded the Jeep off this summer with a badly squeaking suspension, squeaky doors, and a slipping CVT tranny. All this with about 70k on the odo. I was just at an implement dealer getting my feed wagon fixed and I overheard the guys talking about getting their Ram service trucks worked on, and it didn't sound good. Granted they are all diesel. What I do like abut the Ram 3/4 ton in particular is that it comes with coil springs front and rear which can easily be replaced with air bags. I can't figure out why nobody has ever put factory air suspension on all 4 corners of heavy duty trucks, but at least Ram makes it easy to put on aftermarket!

I like the things I hear about the 6.4 Hemi- excellent power but will shut down 4 cylinders and sip fuel when you don't need the power. But that is really the only thing about a Ram that I would like. I'm honestly not sure what could convince me to ever buy another Chrysler product (aside from a vintage one). But there are dealers that put a lifetime warranty on at least the power train, and that would be well worth it if you decide that Ram is for you.

The GM twins are gonna be under-powered compared to Ram's big engine, and even the Ford. But people like the ride and the durability seems good. Only downside I've seen on my dad's is a massive blind spot right behind your head when backing to the left, but that is a regular cab. Not sure how the crew would be.

Could you expand on your reasoning for not buying another Chrysler product?

I must be in the minority but I like the the way the Ram trucks ride much more than I do the GM twins.

Son has a 2011 Challenger, wife has a 2011 Town & Country, I have a 2011 F-150. They have had a ton of recalls, I've had none. I've had way less trouble out of my fords than I've had with chevys/GMC's. I couldn't stand the ride/drive of the Dodge I test drove. Eason

I think it all boils down to personal preference and what dealer will work with you and give the deal you want. I have owned them all GM, Ford, Dodge and the GMC's just are more comfortable, well built, better fit and finish and reliable. With that being said, they all make good ones and they all make bad, just like tractors and combines. Mind you I am talking 3/4 ton truck here not 1/2 ton as I have no experience with 1/2 tons in last 20 years

Dodge in my experience has more little issues, built a little cheaper but have a great motor if buying a diesel. Transmissions used to be a problem but think they have got that figured out now. Dodge would be my second choice. Last Dodges I owned were a 1996 and a 1993. 96 was gas and 93 was diesel.

Ford has a good stiff suspension but are very uncomfortable ride, cab is not comfortable and guys I know that own fords seem to have to make a lot of trips back to shop for repairs. Last Ford I owned was a 2001 F250 Diesel. Was a ok truck but started having steering problems at 90k that Ford could not seem to get fixed, oil pan on 7.3 rusted out so got traded on a 06 GMC.

Now my experience with the 06 GMC was not good at all, had problems since day I bought it, in fact got to point when I left the dealer I would just make my next appointment because something would be wrong within a couple days. Transfer case, transmission, rear end and the list went on. Ended up filing lemon law on it and GM bought it back and I got a '08. That truck was trouble free until the day I traded it in 2011 with 85,000 miles. Never went to shop except for oil changes. Traded it in 2011 for another GMC 2500HD and that truck was the same way, 75,000 miles when I traded this fall for a 2015. All my GMC's have been 6.0 gas, regular cab and I have ordered them built how I want them. People complain about the IFS and I just don't see it. I carry a 1100# plow on the front from November to April and have not had any front end problems. I do put Timbren load boosters in however which I think helps. I also get rid of the terrible factory rubber GM puts on their trucks as soon as it comes in and I spec my trucks for plowing and towing as well as for comfort. I know GMC and Chevy are the same but I have owned both and have found the GMC's fit and finish to be just a little better for some reason. This is my 2015

post-230-0-83792200-1453294709_thumb.png

I know GMC and Chevy are the same but I have owned both and have found the GMC's fit and finish to be just a little better for some reason. This is my 2015

truck.png

X2 on that. I've always preferred the GMC on the grille. Maybe it's from the 99-06 series that liked their grilles and headlights vs the check flat headlights then the angry headlights!

Another thing you want on any truck imo is towing mirrors.

Why is having recalls a bad thing? Isn't it a good thing the manufacturer is willing to admit there is an issue and fix them?

I know GMC and Chevy are the same but I have owned both and have found the GMC's fit and finish to be just a little better for some reason. This is my 2015

truck.png

X2 on that. I've always preferred the GMC on the grille. Maybe it's from the 99-06 series that liked their grilles and headlights vs the check flat headlights then the angry headlights!

Yes for some reason the GMCs just look better in my opinion. I order mine with all the towing options but no towing mirrors as when I tow its usually a flatbed trailer and the standard mirrors work ok for that and I plow quite a bit with mine and the extended mirrors I can not get as close to things as I like in a few spots.

truck.png

Yes for some reason the GMCs just look better in my opinion. I order mine with all the towing options but no towing mirrors as when I tow its usually a flatbed trailer and the standard mirrors work ok for that and I plow quite a bit with mine and the extended mirrors I can not get as close to things as I like in a few spots.

I can see that for plowing. Otherwise I wouldn't be without them. I had the stock mirrors and they were awful at the best of times. Put the towing mirrors on and even running empty I prefer them. Plus it looks tougher!

Why is having recalls a bad thing? Isn't it a good thing the manufacturer is willing to admit there is an issue and fix them?

It means they let a poor product out the door.

If you dont like GM dont bother me a bit. We were looking at Dodge 2500s till my brother wemt with our buddy in his 05 3500 to get our new cattle trailer from SD. He got back and the 1st morning did not even say hello..."we will never own a dodge". Said it was alway floating around. Our gms with the ultra reliable IFS you hold a thumb on the wheel o the freeway doing anything. Even mine with 200k is like that. That Dodge he said was 2 hands for 4 days constantly adjusting. Our friend has bummed my truck to get home after silage a time or 2 and said in the 7 miles to his house he cant believe how much nice my 05 chev drives. But I would like to drive a last gen dodge. What...2011 and newer? The are cheaper than gm out of Canada. ...68 cents today!. 45k truck becomes 30k

I'm not super brand loyal. I've run all three major manufacturer's products over the years. I've have found that there are trends with those three manufacturers when it comes to my preferences. My buying decisions tend to come down to powertrains, interiors, and the dealer. Lately, I've tended to focus on Ram and Ford since our local GM dealers seem to have lost their focus on the 3/4- and 1-ton markets for fleet and work trucks.

I've always found it very interesting to see how different parts of the country have certain brand preferences. Wyoming is historically Dodge country, Northern Indiana is a very strong GM region (Dodge/Ram is next with Ford nearly absent), and parts of New England is heavy on Fords. That tells me that dealers make a big difference in the truck market.

'05 GM K2500 Xcab, long box, about 200k on it now, bought used on Ebay with 60k on it.

6.0 is very strong and reliable. Only code it ever dropped was Cyl 1&6 misfire. Crank position sensor re-learn with scan tool fixed that. No transmission problems. I live in a high salt area and the rocker panels are just starting to rust. I also replaced all the brake lines with stainless for the same reason. The salt is also tough on the aluminum wheels. FWD has been faultless. Interior is holding up well. Gotta chase down why door speakers are intermittent, front and rear OK. I replaced both front wheel bearings at about 150k; easy job. CV joints no issue but are a very easy job if they go as I had to do on my last truck. Serpentine belt idler got noisy last week. $12 part and 20 minutes work to change. Seems to be a common problem on a lot of vehicles.

I use it as daily driver and it's comfortable for that. I use it to haul an equipment trailer as well.

Local repair shop has more broken diesels of all brands than gas of any brand.

Troy dairy. But I would like to drive a last gen dodge. What...2011 and newer?

You really should try that. I hate to see someone with such a bad taste about a dodge. I believe the 05 3500 had a lot of front end issues. Mainly wearable items. Ex ballpoints, tie rods, and Sway bar links. If the truck he road in had a lot of miles and wasn't up to snuff then they would get pretty road crazy. The newer ones drive a lot better imo.

^^^^ Agreed Mule. I love my Cummins powered pickups but I would not own a 03-05. Can't speak for an 06 but my 07 with the 6.7 has been almost flawless. Yes, I've done the normal balljoints and such but the darn thing has 350,xxx miles on it and it got done for the first time at 300,xxx so I'm not complaining. Any make/model needs work at those miles.

If it was designed and built right in the first place why would you need a recall?

Most often they all get forced into recalls and volunteer to do em.

IIRC the last Dodge recall was forced then the put the exact same substandard part on that had failed in the first place! That's why they agreed to the buy back plan.

Talked to my SIL's father this morning. He claims that his year old Ram has been in for numerous issues, most often electrical or sensors. He farms and it's definitely a work truck. He traded in a GMC on it that had well over 200K on it. He said that he doesn't think the Ram is going to make 100K before he sends it down the road.

Here we have one dealer who sells Ram, GMC and Ford new and a separate Chevy dealer. Both dealerships have a pretty good reputation. What you see is most trucks used for serious work are Ford or GM with Ram being popular with the town folk for pulling their boats to the lake. Yea a few farmers have Rams but not many. Local lawn care business that actually has about 10 employees runs Ram 3/4 ton pulling light trailers with lawn mowers in the summer but when winter hits and the get ready to plow snow and tow skid steers around all of a sudden they are driving Fords. I know the owner in passing so next time I see him I'm going to ask.

Me personally, I will be looking at trucks in the next couple of months. I'm willing to drive both Ford and GM. I will not even look at Ram. I have 2 reasons for not looking at Ram. When the bailout took place I didn't care for the forced sale to FIAT, that's reason one, the second really has no bearing on how well they are made today. I Worked as a mechanic about 15 years ago. The number of Dodge trucks we worked on was very disproportionate to the number on the road in our area at the time. Dodge only made up about 20% of the pickups in the area but made up about 50% of the pickups that we worked on. A lot of that work was split between transmission issues and electrical.

Rick

Have lots of cattle and hogs hauled in and out of our farm. When Ford still had the 7.3 95% of those trucks were Fords. Then when the 6.0 came we started seeing a lot more Dodges and a few Chevys. A lot of the Dodge guys would show up the next time with a different truck. I would always ask where the other one went and 9 times out 10 the Dodge was in the shop. 90% of the Dodge guys always said they bought it for the Cummins, but the rest is still a Dodge. Only one guy running a Chevy that comes anymore and since the 2011 Powersrtoke the Fords are dominant again. My own farm truck is a 96 350 with a Powerstroke. 275,000 on it. It has had brakes, a clutch and flywheel and glow plugs once. It has treated me well. If I were to go buy a new truck it would be a Ford.

Ford number one seller for what 38 or 39 years now. Must be something good there. Tin box, always felt that way in the chevy.

That always made me wonder, I tried to find 2015 sales numbers, but to no avail. The numbers I found for 2014 though were 497,000 F Series and a combined Chevy and GMC 462,000. According to that site anyway. I don`t put a lot of stock in the interweb though. Really doesn`t matter to me very much anyway, I will still buy Fords. That`s what I like.

That always made me wonder, I tried to find 2015 sales numbers, but to no avail. The numbers I found for 2014 though were 497,000 F Series and a combined Chevy and GMC 462,000. According to that site anyway. I don`t put a lot of stock in the interweb though. Really doesn`t matter to me very much anyway, I will still buy Fords. That`s what I like.

That last statement is EXACTLY right, buy what you like because in the end Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota it doesn't matter, some are good some are bad but for the most part if it has tits or tires it is going to cause you problems so might as well get one that you like.....

That last statement is EXACTLY right, buy what you like because in the end Dodge, GM, Ford, Toyota it doesn't matter, some are good some are bad but for the most part if it has tits or tires it is going to cause you problems so might as well get one that you like.....

Yep

Calendar Year 2015 Truck Sales Data from Automotive News 1/11/16:

Ford F-Series - 780,354

Chevrolet Silverado - 600,544

GMC Sierra - 224,139

Ram - 451,116

For what it's worth: 2015 was the first year that Ford was outsold by the combined GM twins for a few years. Calendar year 2014 was GM 741,588 vs. Ford's 753,851. A lot of factors came into play in 2015: Ford's huge risk with an aluminum-bodied truck, GM's commercials with bears & cages, and cash on the hood.

Calendar Year 2015 Truck Sales Data from Automotive News 1/11/16:

Ford F-Series - 780,354

Chevrolet Silverado - 600,544

GMC Sierra - 224,139

Ram - 451,116

For what it's worth: 2015 was the first year that Ford was outsold by the combined GM twins for a few years. Calendar year 2014 was GM 741,588 vs. Ford's 753,851. A lot of factors came into play in 2015: Ford's huge risk with an aluminum-bodied truck, GM's commercials with bears & cages, and cash on the hood.

Flippin 1,832,014 PUs sold in a year That is a bunch.

Most of the recalls were for INFERIOR parts installed from the factory!!

You're right, Gonzo. Add in the Tundra and Titan and they add another 131,020 to the total which puts the number close to 2 million @ 1,963,034.

Calendar year 2015 for the whole auto industry was all but 17.5 million units. That's huge!

I would get the chevy before the dodge but the ford comes before both for me. They have been some of the toughest trucks ive ever owned. 200bu of corn up steep gravel roads with an f-150 every fall is what keeps me in a blue oval.

Last Chevy truck we owned, the door hinges broke and let the doors sag down. The tailgate fell off and a whole host of other problems from cheap manufacturing. It was not bad design as it would have lasted if quality materials had been used. Last Dodge PU I bought, I could not get the brakes to last. The brakes would wear out every ten to twelve K miles. The last three GM cars we owned have been reliability nightmares. My Ford PS diesel. I'm gonna pay for this comment, but it has almost four hundred K on it now and has had few problems. I will never be able to buy another new PU truck, but if I did, I would have to give credit to Ford on this one.