Mountain Heritage

Trucks......Likes, dislikes, pros, cons

New half ton Chevys have the option of a 6.2 liter engine 8speed tranny and 3.73 gears. Supposed to be 12000lb towing capacity. Just bought a 2015 with 5.3liter 6speed trans and 3.42 gears for my wife to drive. Beautiful truck. Inside and out. Although it is a 4 door cab with the short, 5'8" box. I still like it. Longer 6'6" or full length box is still available. I don't know with what cab configurations though.A393C728-0688-4654-93F2-DA52A7107A45_zps

According to a quick google search the only way to get the 8 foot box on a 2016 1500 GM truck is with a regular cab. The longest bed you can get on the 1500 crew cab is 6.5 ft. You can get the crew cab and 8 foot box in 2500/3500's.

Chevey seems to ride the best, best road manners in my opinion but i have my doubts about ifs. Im a dodge guy, i justify a cummins aswell, i like the solid axle and heavy tie rod. But reality is all of today's and last 15 years of trucks are good and with minimum care will hit 300,000 if you dont have salt on your roads.

IFS has been on the GM trucks since 1988, how many more years does it need to prove itself before you are a believer?

Is 28 years not enough?

They may hold up just as well, I'm just not a fan of ifs plain and simple, i rather replace a u joint than a cv shaft.

I also despise working under to low for my taste. I like height in my pickups.

I am constantly annoyed at the fact that trucks have less and less metal on the body panels and that they are being more and more infused with technology. I live in the rust belt. When a 40,000 dollar truck finally becomes affordable the body is gone. Not to mention if something goes wrong you have to have a PHD and a computer at your house to diagnose issues before you even can try to fix it. That and the engineers keep trying to sell trucks that have tiny motors in them for 'fuel economy.'

Rant over.

That being said, the next truck I get is likely going to be a Chevy. A pop can truck from Ford? I'll pass. Too many people I know that own Rams have too many issues with them. Foreign? Forget about it.

So what "issues" are people having with the Rams? Bear in mind, I want to buy a 2500 series. The wife's 1500 series Ram Sport is great truck for driving, decent for hauling (not that I have been ALLOWED to haul much with it), and only issue we had was a torn CV joint boot, so warranty replaced the entire shaft assembly. So it cost us our time and fuel to go to the garage. Other than that, the Hemi has been great on gas, handles great on the road and in the snow.

Can I expect the same from a 2500 Ram?

Thing that gets me about the Chev/GMC is their centre console, it seems "plasticy" and I worry it would/could break easy down the road on some cold morning here in CANADA. Maybe I am just too picky, but if I am shelling out $50,000 + for a truck, it better dog on well do everything but drive itself and make me breakfast! :huh:

What are people who have had the newer trucks in say the last couple years finding with the interiors, are the seat wearing out quickly, are the dashes rattling or creeking, does things feel cheap inside?

I know that from my '95 Chev to my '99 Chev there was a HUGE difference in quality. ????

I am constantly annoyed at the fact that trucks have less and less metal on the body panels and that they are being more and more infused with technology. I live in the rust belt. When a 40,000 dollar truck finally becomes affordable the body is gone. Not to mention if something goes wrong you have to have a PHD and a computer at your house to diagnose issues before you even can try to fix it. That and the engineers keep trying to sell trucks that have tiny motors in them for 'fuel economy.'

Rant over.

That being said, the next truck I get is likely going to be a Chevy. A pop can truck from Ford? I'll pass. Too many people I know that own Rams have too many issues with them. Foreign? Forget about it.

40+ years of Aluminum cab KW's don't prove durability?

Rant over.

I was the same way regarding foreign. Then saw where they were made and where they were assembled. The big three were the worst offenders at the time.

This is like the oil threads!!

Jerry

Jerry

Indeed. I hate when people don't want to say WHY they don't like a particular brand.

I agree....sorry to have RE-OPENED the Oil thread! :(

Come on people!!!

Tell me WHAT is the matter with the GMC/Chevy trucks vs the Dodge Ram (2500 series only - I am not looking for a 1500 series, I already know what they are like, have owned them too!).

If you hook onto a gravity wagon with a ton of fertilizer in it - does your Chevy lazy down and die or does it walk all over your neighbours new Ram?? Will your wife's GMC not start if its colder than 35 degrees or hotter than 50 degrees? Would you wish your Ram upon your worst enemy and hope he dies choking on the dust from the it rusting in HIS driveway instead of yours!?? I want to know the good and the bad between the 3 models that you have owned OR seen.

I do not want the Oil can opened up OR knocked off the end of the bench. I can get that info by reading the web or listening to the people I work with chirp at the water cooler.

:angry:

Jerry

Indeed. I hate when people don't want to say WHY they don't like a particular brand.

Chevy dont care for ifs and lowrider stance,

Ford in the generation i can afford i dont like give me 40 acres and ill turn this rig around.

Plus cummins seems to start best in cold of the diesels.

Rant over.

40+ years of Aluminum cab KW's don't prove durability?

KW's aren't designed to be thrown away like a pickup truck.

I agree....sorry to have RE-OPENED the Oil thread! :(

Come on people!!!

Tell me WHAT is the matter with the GMC/Chevy trucks vs the Dodge Ram (2500 series only - I am not looking for a 1500 series, I already know what they are like, have owned them too!).

If you hook onto a gravity wagon with a ton of fertilizer in it - does your Chevy lazy down and die or does it walk all over your neighbours new Ram?? Will your wife's GMC not start if its colder than 35 degrees or hotter than 50 degrees? Would you wish your Ram upon your worst enemy and hope he dies choking on the dust from the it rusting in HIS driveway instead of yours!?? I want to know the good and the bad between the 3 models that you have owned OR seen.

I do not want the Oil can opened up OR knocked off the end of the bench. I can get that info by reading the web or listening to the people I work with chirp at the water cooler.

:angry:

We run Chevy diesels at work, but are starting to bring on gas rigs. We have a few dodge diesels at work. Apples to apples. The dodge emissions on diesels seems to be more reliable. The Chevys have crap tires and poor traction on wet dirt roads, they just can not get the power to the ground with stock tires.

My 95 Dodge will have to be put down like Old Yeller when the frame finally rots in half. I bought the truck in '00 with 103K on the odometer and now it currently has just over 304K. The last two mornings have been in the single digits and it never hesitated to start.

She has hauled everything up to a '73 Dodge CNT900 semi tractor scaling out over 38000 gross, and that was no short trip (Erie, PA to Big Rapids, MI). Most of the time in her prime, I could get 23 MPG. Yes it is a Cummins. I have done a fair amount of repairs to the truck, but nothing that was unexpected for the work that I was doing with it.

I am a fourth generation Dodge truck guy. My great grandfather started the trend in 1934 when he bought a new K72 3 ton. There have been several Dodges in the family ever since.

My 2ยข.

Have been in fleet maintenance for too long. Here's my opinion take it or leave it. All the opinions are based on gas motors, diesels I will discuss later.

Chevy-GMC. Same thing. Just different badges. Interior are the "best" but frankly I don't care about the interior of a work truck as long as it is comfortable. Yes the IFS works, and rides the nicest, but frankly as a work truck it is by far the weakest and most expensive to fix. In our fleet, we looked at a front end rebuild every 60-70k as Preventative maintenance. LS motors are ok, but expect lifter noise at about 60k and be aware they live to rev, not as much low end grunt as older motors. Transmissions and drive trains are solid.

Dodge. The motors are take it or leave it. We had several drop valves and sparkplugs. Cheaper to auction truck and buy a new one than repair at high mileage. Transmissions are weak compared to the Allison and Ford offerings. Suspension is ok to good, the IFS is similar to Chevy, but the solid axles are great.

Ford. Interiors are ok. Nothing to set the world on fire. Suspension, must durable of the big three, easily. It rides like a truck. No mistaking it for anything else. The solid axles are BEEFY. The motors are ok. Sparkplugs are a pain to change, but nothing a good MECHANIC can't handle. Again they like to rev, not great luging power. Transmissions are great.

Diesels. Unless you haul heavy ALL the time, like a hot shot, avoid them like the plague IMHO. With the current emissions requirements, and the lack of economy they get because of it, the ~$15k option when buying and extremely high repair costs they are very hard to justify. Yes the gasser will burn more fuel loaded, and be a bit slower. But you can replace the entire motor at the dealership for the price of a injector job at a reputable shop, and have money left over.

We had two trucks down, a Dodge gasser and a Chevy duramax. The dodge dealer wanted $7k for a long block installed. The Chevy dealer wanted $10k for a long block duramax, and another $3k for insulation. Almost 2 gas motors for the diesel, and they both had the same mileage on them.

Aluminum bodies, HDTs have had aluminum bodies for years. Sports cars have had them also. Chevrolet is set to roll them out in a few years also. It's progression, doesn't matter if you like or hate it, it will be the norm soon for all new trucks and cars soon.

I'm all for brand loyalty, but in the end pick a color or brand you like, realize all manufactures make ok products, and get on with life. A choice of one brand or the other doesn't make you a better person or not, or the choice you made better than a different one another person makes. If you think that, you need more help than I can provide.

Hank

if time wasn't an issue I'd suggest watching the US GSA auctions where they sell trucks, cars, etc that have been owned by various government entities. There can be some good buys there- in 2011 I bought a '02 K2500 regular cab with the 8.1/6spd manual and just over 50K miles for about 1/2 of what the local Chevy dealer quoted me on a new truck with the 6.0/automatic. It came out of New Mexico so no salt- not even sure it was used in the winter. Had to put a set of tires on it right away, a battery two years ago, and otherwise only oil changes. Like everything else, you have to be careful- some of them can be kind of rough, but they seem to be well maintained in general

Ford number one seller for what 38 or 39 years now. Must be something good there. Tin box, always felt that way in the chevy.

From a repair facility owners point of view....

I see all 3 equally. Now I'm talking 1/2 ton gassers. In the first 100k miles ford and Dodge see way more repair then the GM's. After 100k I hardly see any ford or dodges because they get traded in. The GM's keep coming in and I have several pushing 200-300k with not alot of repair. When it comes to 10 year old + pickups around here GM is king. There just aren't any dodges at all and very few fords.

Now if we switch this up to 3/4 ton and 1 tons Dodge is king but they are all diesel. There a few GM's around, half gas half diesel. There are hardly any fords and the few that are are only a year or 2 old and they are constantly traded off. Don't know where the used ones go because they aren't here.

As to the post about how he'd rather change ujoints then a CV shaft... What are you smoking? A ujoint requires the tire to be pulled, brakes taken off, and hub/bearing removed to slide the shaft out to replace the ujoint. A CV shaft requires 6 bolts undone at the differential and the hub nut taken off. Slide the diffy end of the shaft down and pull the whole thing out. 15-20 min tops out where as the ujoint takes a minimum of an hour or better and way more disturbance of other parts that don't always come apart in one piece therefore also requiring replacement.

Good point brought up on WHY we are brand loyal.. For me I was born and raised a GM kid. Dad always had Olds cars and I bought Chevys, both trucks and autos. I had a major disagreement with GM on warranty work on my wifes new Buick and then a Chevy. They would not repair a safety issue (brakes) even though it was well documented nationwide. I sold-traded 3 GM rigs for a JEEP, and a Toyota, SWORE that I would NEVER NEVER buy another GM vehicle. Being the mechanic in my family I converted most family members with GMs to any other brand. When it came time to buy a full size pickup for towing heavy. I chose the Dodge Truck because of the inline 6 Cummins turbo engine. In part because FORD did not have a turboed diesel at the time. AND GM burned a bridge. Have I looked at the other diesel pickups? Yes I have, But I also have a close friend that owned 3 FORD 6.0 diesels and the way FORD treated him (4 complete engine failures) left me firmly against a International V-8 diesel. My local Chrysler dealer has helped me many ways. I will keep using Chrysler till there is a good reason to switch.

Ford number one seller for what 38 or 39 years now. Must be something good there. Tin box, always felt that way in the chevy.

You do realize that GMC and Chevy combined have always outsold Ford right?

My local Chrysler dealer has helped me many ways. I will keep using Chrysler till there is a good reason to switch.

A good dealer who stands behind the product they sell makes all the difference, regardless of the manufacturer.

You do realize that GMC and Chevy combined have always outsold Ford right?

This has always bugged me.. Simple math tell a different story then the commercials.

Son's RAM 2500 is just over a year old and 13,000 miles. Like most of you guy's trucks it runs every day, some days about ten miles, few days about 500 miles. It's been to the dealer once for a couple recalls. A re-flash for the radio, one for the Infotainment screen, and to check a drag link or tie rod for a crack. No problems. Son's truck is a diesel, gets 20-21 mpg at 72-75 mph. It's a 4-door 4wd short box with coil spring rear suspension. Rides really nice IMO. A new Ford F-250 would have been over $60,000. Dealer knocked $12,000 off the sticker first thing on this RAM so was around $48,000. Same truck could be found with a Hemi for even a bit less.I saw several of them today, 3/4 ton Hemi's. The new 6-speed automatic never seems to be in the wrong gear.

My local Chrysler dealer has helped me many ways. I will keep using Chrysler till there is a good reason to switch.

A good dealer who stands behind the product they sell makes all the difference, regardless of the manufacturer.

very much so. A good dealer gets my business

And I also agree with Hank on diesels, we have tons of issues with the new ones. Just to give you an idea of how soured it has gotten consider this, we have a 400 mile stretch with no service (the haul road on ice road truckers) we have to haul our own fuel. For decades it's been diesel, one fuel for everything. No we are putting in gasoline because the trucks are not reliable for WHAT WE USE THEM FOR.

Buy a GM 2500 with a 6.0 gas and you won't regret it. It'll pull what you want it to, and will take quite a bit to sag it down. And they're fairly smooth riding. Unless your pulling steady all day, the gas holds up fine. And from what I've seen, between the duramax and 6.0 gas, not much difference in fuel mileage.

When I was looking for a truck 5 years ago, I looked at ford, Dodge, and gm. I wanted a gas 3/4 ton, and honestly, there wasn't hardly and dodges around, and ford, I thought was underpowered for pulling. I ended up getting an 02 gm 1500hd, and am very happy with the full crew cab, and will not be without it now. I almost bought a brand new one, which was about 40k, since used ones were really high km's, or else they were still priced over 25k. But I ended up with this one that I found reasonable.

The gm 6.0 is a very reliable motor, and should last many years for you. Actually the whole truck should, except the body might start rusting. I got 320 000 km on mine and my auto 4x4 is starting to act up. Other than that, nothing more than the expected stuff. Oh and there's lots of room under the hood on them if you do have to work on it. You won't get the death wobble on a GM either, like you will on a Ford or Dodge. I know what I've seen is that the Dodge front ends don't hold up as long as gm's and there alot harder to work on. A couple of friends bought new Dodge 1/2 tons with the hemi and both had 4x4 issues within the first year. One of them the dealer didn't know what's wrong.

On a side note, the Toyota salesman here tried to sell me tundra. I asked how they are for pulling, and he said they got lots of power and are very sturdy on the road. I told him first thing is the full crew cab has too short of abox on it, then I asked him how it would pull a 22' gooseneck loaded up with cows, and you know what he told me. "What you need is a SUV/ crossover for driving around and keep your truck for pulling." Ha, some salesman.