Mountain Heritage

Trucks......Likes, dislikes, pros, cons

8 hours ago, SMiller said:

Rail-truck-boat depend on your dealer location.

Some of those crew cabs are made in Flint, damn shame they make any of them in Mexico, all the HD trucks are made in USA.

I just hope Pablo had a good build day when he built my truck!  Hope he wasn't spend half the time thinking about the party he was going to on Friday night!

19 hours ago, Mountain Heritage said:

I put Goodyear Duratrac's on my truck.  They are a slight bit noisier than other tires I have owned, but nothing too drastic.  I love the deep tread they have.  I am sure they will prove valuable in the Spring and Fall if it gets greasy on way to fields.  Supposed to have decent tread life.  I guess we will see?  The wife put them on her truck and well, that's where I got the idea from.

Nice looking truck.  Good luck with it.  I know I'm coming into this late but does anyone run Hankook Dynapro ATM's?  We use them on the 350 SRW pickup we have at the twp and that thing is near impossible to stop plowing snow and they wear well too.  And we load it down to nearly 14,000 with the plow, spreader and a load of salt so it gets abused.

On 2/11/2016 at 7:27 PM, Mountain Heritage said:

Okay, lets really throw a twist to the multiple questions I have asked. What, if anything, can you do to a 1500 series in the way of "beefing it up" in the suspension department to attempt to compete with a 2500 series - IF you wanted to get the fuel millage the 1500's get compared to the 2500's? OR is it not even worth the time or effort because you still only have a glorified "car"?

Just ask'n. I KNOW guys will shake their heads at this!

I'm a GM guy, through and through.  I have always owned 1/2 ton 4x4's.  I've used them HARD, like stacking firewood higher than the cab, or loading with rocks out of the field until my reese hitch insert doubles as a single shank chisel plow.  To beef up suspension, you have a couple options.  You can find a junkyard donor and add more leaf springs, but this will also make a stiffer ride, especially over washboard.  My favorite is Firestone air bags, only fill them when you use them.  FWIW  my current truck we bought out of Fort Worth, TX.  2000 silverado with 5.3 LS, fully loaded, just over 200k miles when we got it last january, 4x4, extended cab, HD gooseneck ball in bed (1/4 inch steel welded to frame rails), spent $4000 to purchase.  I like the gn trailering as it spreads the load more evenly.  fast foreward to now, 228000 miles.  Still not even a speck of rust, even though the county loads the calcium chloride on my dirt road in summer, and salt and calcium chloride all winter.  I had to replace a front wheel bearing and did all four brakes too, got drilled and slotted rotors with Evolution pads for just over $200 on rockauto.com, love that website.  I get an average of 16mpg.  My uncle has my trucks twin, except its a 2003.  He has the plow motor and frame on it year round, a bed capper because he drives around with ALL of 2000 pounds of tools in the back.  No suspension mods.  He's up to 430000 miles on it, original engine, trans, transfer case, rear end.  He does use full synthetic oil though...

On 2/9/2017 at 7:40 PM, 560Dennis said:

Yep GM good money ,then Dodge Ram then fords , see at them at the counter Gm brakes rotors calipers wheel bearing unjoints water pumps ,since depression I delver to shops I see them all make the most on GM  

Just out of curiousity. Could that be because there are more GM vehicles on the road? I don't know about everyone else's area, but in mine I still see TONS of 1/2 and 3/4 ton 90's chevy and gmc pickups running around.  I hardly ever see any old fords or 1/2 ton dodges around. I do see quite a few old 3/4 and 1 ton dodges running around though. 

17 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

Just out of curiousity. Could that be because there are more GM vehicles on the road? I don't know about everyone else's area, but in mine I still see TONS of 1/2 and 3/4 ton 90's chevy and gmc pickups running around.  I hardly ever see any old fords or 1/2 ton dodges around. I do see quite a few old 3/4 and 1 ton dodges running around though. 

I AM NOT TRYING TO CHANGE OPINIONS!!!   Here I can say the same thing as Zach.  Way more 2000s GM around than Ford or Dodge.  Been thinking of replacing bro s-10 with 1500 GM.  Punch in 6000 and 1500 on CL and you get 02 and older chevs and 08 Rams and Fords!  Goofy, 3-4 years newer with sim miles and they still are worth less.  And yes the hub assembly is not the greatest but it generally last 120-150K from our experience and is like a 1.5 hour job if you have never done one.  Brakes, my 05 just hade the OEM ones done at 190k right before I sold it.  Frts 2x in 100k doing lots of towing.  Dale in your area there is more unpaved roads too right?  Wonder if thats the kicker?

21 hours ago, ZachGrant said:

I live northeast Ohio one of the most severe environments  a vehicle can be subjected to . 

Today for example I took a tally 10 customers first to come  in gmc /Chevy truck tops 

gm , 2 customers rotors refused pads  , 1 , brakes pads (refused rotors ), 1  erg housing rust out tube would not hold tube any more check engine on , not available to us , walked out , 1 check engine light fuel vent solinoid ,  

Now there is one Dodge caliper 

now one ford commercial sale water pump and belt 

that my day thanks 

All others oil changes , compasses etc

I keep forgetting to download a picture of this....so I finally got my truck the end of November.  Yep, it was a long time coming!  Other than having to pay for it - I like everything about it.  Comfortable, powerful, fairly good on gas, knock on wood - not needing repairs!

Ended up with a 2017 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 with a "max towing" package. 6.2L engine.  The stereo is amazing, the sound quality is crazy good.  The cab is VERY quiet in terms of road noise.  Can hardly hear the larger lug tires I put on it.  My father is amazed at how quiet it is inside.  Different video's I seen on-line tested 0-60mph is something like 6.? seconds.  I believe it!!  This thing can pony up when it needs to!  BEST gas mileage I have so far (bear in mind just going through winter, no break in period before winter hit) 10.6L/100km, normal average for the short runs I do daily 13 - 14L/100km according to the fancy computer in dash.  City driving in rush hour traffic, lots of stop lights, 15.1 was the worst I had.  For a 6.2L - I think that's pretty decent??

GMC is definitely worth looking at so far when looking for a truck.  Have only owned Chevy before now.  But they seem to spend a little more time on details in the GMC models.

No regrets so far!

iphone transfer 1759test ih.jpg

Congrats on the new purchase. That's a really sharp looking truck. Should last you many years. And the gas mileage ain't too bad for a truck, with a 6.2. I'm looking for a new truck and I know it'll definitely be a gmc model too. Something about them just looks better imo.