Mountain Heritage

Trucks......Likes, dislikes, pros, cons

So I am unfortunately going to need to replace my daily driver truck in the near future. My Chevy has two holes in the frame and on its last legs. Looking to buy a 2500 series crew cab truck, 4x4. Looking at Dodge, GMC, and Chevy. I guess they all have their good & bad. Been looking on and off for the past few months and still unsure.

What are the good and bad things you guys have found in looking or owning one of these trucks? Things you would change or not do again or do in the future? I keep my trucks for a long time, run them into the ground, so I am not looking at dumping it in a couple years time for the new, current model.

Couldn't pay me to buy a Ford, so you die hard Ford fans, don't try to sell me on one. I HATE closing the door on a tin can! :wacko:

Are you "replacing " with a "brand new" truck ??

Plan originally was to buy a used one if I could find a good, lower mileage truck. No such luck. And after watching prices, they do not really seem to be much of a "deal" to buy used vs new. Going to continue to look at both - but I am guessing new for now? So far not going with a diesel either, no real need for me.

I'd you looking diesel I think Chevy and dodge both make great truck's. If you pay someone to do your maintenance work then it's a toss up really. If you do all your own work I'd go with the dodge. Even the newer dodges are easier to work on.

Just my 2cents.

I work on all 3 brands by the way

M T your behind the times Ford is not a tin can. Modern aluminum can.

Sorry just could not help myself.

I feel for you flocks in the snow and salt country. Been working on a 83 Chev 1 ton 4x4 with a shake in the front end,lots of new parts and no happiness here.

I like the things I hear about the 6.4 Hemi- excellent power but will shut down 4 cylinders and sip fuel when you don't need the power. But that is really the only thing about a Ram that I would like. I'm honestly not sure what could convince me to ever buy another Chrysler product (aside from a vintage one). But there are dealers that put a lifetime warranty on at least the power train, and that would be well worth it if you decide that Ram is for you.

The GM twins are gonna be under-powered compared to Ram's big engine, and even the Ford. But people like the ride and the durability seems good. Only downside I've seen on my dad's is a massive blind spot right behind your head when backing to the left, but that is a regular cab. Not sure how the crew would be.

Currently, in my neck of the woods, what was primarily Ford country a decade ago, has become GMC/Chevy country ( although I dont entirely know why). Our farm, is bordered by two roads, basically one is the main through fare for everyone within miles, to get to town, goes by our place, so I see allot of very local traffic, all trucks, and almost all GM now. The odd part, our local GM store, got shuttered by GM, about 7 years ago !, and we have 2 Ford stores, that are about 5 miles apart, when you get to town. The one ford dealer, about 3/4's of his inventory is light trucks.

Within a couple mile radius of me, only one neighbor owns a Ford, that is newer than 2010. There is a 1/2 ton dodge in the neighborhood, but it belongs to a retired truck driver, that married the widow, down my road. He uses it as a car.

If I was buying a new truck, Id be buying a GM or Chevy. Ive owned both ford and chevy for the last 15 years, including one new one. Both gas and diesel, cant beat the LS family of engines for reliability, economy, and longevity.

I was out west for a couple months, rented a dodge with a hemi, while the dodge trucks have come along way ( I have two older ones w/cummins in them, one moves firewood, the other is a bucket truck ), you could not give me a new dodge truck. Plenty of power, but its like driving a GM truck with an 8.1L engine, almost can not believe how much fuel, the thing moved through. That and the new ones seem to rust like crazy. If youre not in the rust belt, not a problem.

I feel for you flocks in the snow and salt country. Been working on a 83 Chev 1 ton 4x4 with a shake in the front end,lots of new parts and no happiness here.

Technically the Super Duty series won't be the aluminum can til late this year or early next! LOL

I'm very interested to see the build quality on them and see the youtubers torture them and see how they hold!

Technically the Super Duty series won't be the aluminum can til late this year or early next! LOL

I'm very interested to see the build quality on them and see the youtubers torture them and see how they hold!

Its the same body that is on the F-150 now, don't know what you are expecting.

Ford is actually getting ready to go to a much thinner/lighter aluminum then what they have now as it is much stronger even though it is thinner/lighter.

I like the things I hear about the 6.4 Hemi- excellent power but will shut down 4 cylinders and sip fuel when you don't need the power. But that is really the only thing about a Ram that I would like. I'm honestly not sure what could convince me to ever buy another Chrysler product (aside from a vintage one). But there are dealers that put a lifetime warranty on at least the power train, and that would be well worth it if you decide that Ram is for you.

The GM twins are gonna be under-powered compared to Ram's big engine, and even the Ford. But people like the ride and the durability seems good. Only downside I've seen on my dad's is a massive blind spot right behind your head when backing to the left, but that is a regular cab. Not sure how the crew would be.

Could you expand on your reasoning for not buying another Chrysler product?

I must be in the minority but I like the the way the Ram trucks ride much more than I do the GM twins.

While I've had a Ford for coming 20 years now I' would take a long look at the Chevy/GMC trucks. Just spent some time in a 2500 crew cab and thought it was very nice. Like a limousine compared to the old 95 7.3!

Are you using it as a full size truck? Will any of the others work? My daily driver rarely has a loaded bed or a trailer.

Tundra? Tacoma? Titan?

If not I would take the GMC/Chevy depending on your dealer. We have some of the newer dodges and I am not sold yet. But they are diesels.

I would not buy a diesel. Right now I think a gas rig is a better buy unless your doing some serious hauling.

While I've had a Ford for coming 20 years now I' would take a long look at the Chevy/GMC trucks. Just spent some time in a 2500 crew cab and thought it was very nice. Like a limousine compared to the old 95 7.3!

I got a late 94 power stroke, you sure know what the engine is doing and where the pot holes are. New stuff is much quieter and softer to ride

Ahhh yes, ALUMINUM....sorry, my mistake! Either way, it could be made of gold, wouldn't be buying a Ford. Sorry, over priced for what you are getting. At least anyone of the ones I have been in and driven or rode in.

I am looking at things like fit and finish, inside and out. Plastic, cheap looking or in fact made poorly. Durability of the engines, tranny, frames, suspension. I need something that will haul machinery spring and fall, haul either a dump trailer or wagon loaded to the gills with firewood in the winter. Something I can load up the box with wood or the ATV if needed. I need a WORK truck, but I also need something that is comfortable and enjoyable to be in if I wanted to take if for a day or two on a road trip with the wife and NOT hear the complaining that we should have taken HER truck! :P She has had a Ram Sport for just over a year now, Hemi, 8 speed tranny. THIS is the only reason I am even looking at a Ram. I have been a Chev guy my whole life, but since I have driven her truck, I am impressed with Dodge. She was going to buy a Ford when looking for this one, once we started picking them apart, the Ford didn't stand a chance for her and well, me too! Not to mention we got the Dodge for just over $14,000.00 CHEAPER, and it had just as many extra features as the FORD? Figure that out?

What is the suspension like in the Dodge vs GMC/Chev's? Over time and hauling loads? Different types of suspension between brands, which works out to be better in the long run, wear & tear as well as comfortable ride?

Currently have a '99 Chev Silverado 4x4 1500 cab & 1/2. Not heavy enough. I want to be able to do something as simple as load the box with split firewood without it bottoming out when the box is only 1/2 full. If I put a bunch of materials in it to build a deck, I don't want to be looking at the clouds on that nice summer day on the drive home. I need a comfortable work truck, something that can work as well as go for a comfortable Sunday drive.

I know it is possible now a days to get this ..... it has to be!

Just a thought, if you can swing it.

I drive a 1/2 ton, 8' box, std cab, V6 Auto, full size. I get 18-20mpg when moving...I get a soft ride, it sits close to the ground, I can haul stuff, which is several times a week. I run to town, out of town, its my car. I have a car, but I never drive it, tags expired years ago, and I have it for sale right now.

If I need to move a trailer, ( we have 9 at last count ), a cart, implement, or carry something " heavy " I have a 1.5T diesel dually flatbed ( 16.5k GVW ). I also have a 1 ton dually 4x4 diesel service truck for field work with a DMI bumper ( has a tool box on it, so it does not haul allot )

Basically, Im driving a cheap car with a box ( that has 265k on it ), and then when I really need stability and the need to move something heavy, and a miserable ride and lousy fuel economy, I have that too. I bought all of them used for the fraction of the cost of a " new " truck. With farm tags on 2 of them, they dont cost much to keep around ( in this state anyway ).

I have not owned a Dodge gas engined truck But I am on my 6th Cummins diesel engine. The trucks have been very good for me. I have had no issues with the body-frame-controlls etc. The 2013 (so far) has impressed me in 35,000 miles of towing.

Just a thought, if you can swing it.

I drive a 1/2 ton, 8' box, std cab, V6 Auto, full size. I get 18-20mpg when moving...I get a soft ride, it sits close to the ground, I can haul stuff, which is several times a week. I run to town, out of town, its my car. I have a car, but I never drive it, tags expired years ago, and I have it for sale right now.

If I need to move a trailer, ( we have 9 at last count ), a cart, implement, or carry something " heavy " I have a 1.5T diesel dually flatbed ( 16.5k GVW ). I also have a 1 ton dually 4x4 diesel service truck for field work with a DMI bumper ( has a tool box on it, so it does not haul allot )

Basically, Im driving a cheap car with a box ( that has 265k on it ), and then when I really need stability and the need to move something heavy, and a miserable ride and lousy fuel economy, I have that too. I bought all of them used for the fraction of the cost of a " new " truck. With farm tags on 2 of them, they dont cost much to keep around ( in this state anyway ).

Same here. I drive a tacoma as my car. Around town errands and most of the time. But when I need to move a trailer or get a bigger load I have a full size diesel.

The biggest deal for me is the tacoma fits in my garage.

I am a GMC fan, bought a new one this fall, traded in a 2011 with 75,000 trouble free miles, still had original brakes. Had a 08 and 06 prior. Cant beat the comfort and quality of a GMC in my opinion

I must be in the minority but I like the the way the Ram trucks ride much more than I do the GM twins.

Oh I don't know. SIL's father bought a new Ram last year because one of his son's best friends family owns a dealership. After a year of ownership he says that's the last one he will own. He didn't get into specifics. His is a 1/2 ton Hemi.

For the OP I myself would go with a GM product keeping in mind the only difference between GMS and Chevy is the badge. I don't care how well something rides, reliability is my biggest factor. I've owned Ford, Dodge and GM pickups. I myself would not be afraid of GM or Ford. I know some are afraid of the aluminum body but they have been making semi cabs our of aluminum for decades.

Rick

Come on get the Ford it will back your trailer up by itself!

Not that I get to worried about ride quality but I don't think a solid axle coil sprung Dodge rides as well as a IFS GM truck. I personally like your truck but I do call it like it is.

Chevey seems to ride the best, best road manners in my opinion but i have my doubts about ifs. Im a dodge guy, i justify a cummins aswell, i like the solid axle and heavy tie rod. But reality is all of today's and last 15 years of trucks are good and with minimum care will hit 300,000 if you dont have salt on your roads.

Chevey seems to ride the best, best road manners in my opinion but i have my doubts about ifs. Im a dodge guy, i justify a cummins aswell, i like the solid axle and heavy tie rod. But reality is all of today's and last 15 years of trucks are good and with minimum care will hit 300,000 if you dont have salt on your roads.

IFS has been on the GM trucks since 1988, how many more years does it need to prove itself before you are a believer?

Is 28 years not enough?