Sign in to follow this  
tcmtech

-15 F and my W450 fired up dead cold!

Well in the process of moving my soon to be EX wife out I decided that for grins I would see if my old W450 backhoe tractor would start after sitting all night at - 18 F.

After a bit of hard cranking sure enough the old rattle monster popped off even though it still has most of a tank full of E30 from last time I filled it and is warming up as I type! :wub:

Now if the wife had only been that reliable in a tight spot...... Oh well. :P

Her Explorer is loaded full and my pickup is darn close to being there as well. She's dead tired already and I was the one who hauled everything out and loaded it. All she had to do was move the loaded totes from one room to the entryway while I carried everything out. :rolleyes:

Just shows that old iron is dependable.

Let me know when you can do that with an M on 6 volts.... :D

Tried to start my F-20 two weeks ago, temp was in the 20's overnight but was mid-30's when I tried to crank it. Pulled it through compression 6 times and gave up.... :(

Let me know when you can do that with an M on 6 volts.... :D

Dads M has a heavy duty 6 volt starter but has been converted to 12 volt for close to 20 years now. His is good to about -20F but the big crank driven live hydraulic pump I put on a few years ago really makes a hateful noise for the first 5 minutes. :o

Dad's H has a 6v system on it and it fires up just fine when it's cold out......

Dad's H has a 6v system on it and it fires up just fine when it's cold out......

Yup, our 1951 M did the same, sat in the grainary during MN winters and never failed to start, I always found poor connections or maintenance on the wiring if one doesn't start.

best, randy

Good luck in the times ahead. An old guy told me years ago [ if you look back, you go back}. Keep her in the rear view ,my friend. At 18 below your luck is changing for the better already !

When it was negative temps starting up Dad's H, I'd keep the clutch pedal shoved in so the starter didn't have to work so hard turning the rear end over with the engine. Even after letting it warm up for about 30 seconds, letting the clutch out would make the engine work (in neutral) and sometimes I'd even stall it.

Yea my W450 is the same way. It needs about 30 seconds at half throttle to get enough power up to turn the transmission at these temperatures.

After that it needs about half an hour at 1200 RPM to get the rear end fluids loosened up enough for the PTO pump to be able draw enough fluid to make anything move.

It's not easy on the old rattle monster but it still gives me a grin when it pulls it off every time! B)