Looks skoukum

Skoukum?

Looks skoukum

Very skoukum indeed.

I don't speak Washington :ph34r:

Ancient PNW indian for "Thats a heavy build sucker"

Ancient PNW indian for "Thats a heavy build sucker"

Thanks

You ever do corral fence? Like for a dairy. Old school sucker rod gates and oil pipe n cable.

Not as my bussiness, but I've dealt with sucker rod, I'd rather use pipe as I've had issues with sucker rod staying welded,

Never dealt with cable Corral s around here are generally continous pipe fencing.

Dairys are virtually non-existent here.

When I was doing the same work for .50 an hour as a ranch hand we built a crowding alley that was all 2 and 3/8 pipe and heavy wall 1.5 pipe. Would be closest to a dairy. Love working with heavy pipe when welding. So sort of.

I know that sucker rod is odd. We inherited a huge sling of it on a farm we bought. 100s of sticks. Along with 1000' of 2 5/8 heavy pipe. Pipe is handy but that rod is weird. It welds funny then can just pop off. Like weld is in the rod but not 'part' of it like a weld should be. Crackles when welding too, is it just super low grade like rebar?

Can it be coupled? A small 3 inch long piece of pipe with the rod stuffed in and welded on each side?

I know that sucker rod is odd. We inherited a huge sling of it on a farm we bought. 100s of sticks. Along with 1000' of 2 5/8 heavy pipe. Pipe is handy but that rod is weird. It welds funny then can just pop off. Like weld is in the rod but not 'part' of it like a weld should be. Crackles when welding too, is it just super low grade like rebar?

Clips at make it useful they just are hard to find I finally found a decent priced source for them, last week, I spent a few days welding all the sucker rod back on to drill stem with new clips because he was sick of it poping off. The popping may be the oil impregnated into the rod, as to why it does not weld that would be a question for akwelder. Maybe he will chime in.

90 percent of what I use is used oilfield pipe, 2 7/8 is the common size here for farm ranch use.

Clips at make it useful they just are hard to find I finally found a decent priced source for them, last week, I spent a few days welding all the sucker rod back on to drill stem with new clips because he was sick of it poping off. The popping may be the oil impregnated into the rod, as to why it does not weld that would be a question for akwelder. Maybe he will chime in.

90 percent of what I use is used oilfield pipe, 2 7/8 is the common size here for farm ranch use.

I would guess that the steel is strong for pulling, so it has a high carbon content. We weld that type of steel by preheating it to about 200* then welding one pass on each piece before welding together. His minimizes stresses, but we never see sucker rod, it's not used here

0428160803a_zps0s9d56d1.jpg

Well at least it's wet,

Good day to work on the house I think.

Ugh, that looks cruddy. The pipe is fine since its heavy steel. The rod is like rebar. I have welded high carbon and pre heated. Sucker rod would melt if you looked at it with a tourch!

Ugh, that looks cruddy. The pipe is fine since its heavy steel. The rod is like rebar. I have welded high carbon and pre heated. Sucker rod would melt if you looked at it with a tourch!

Then use it in concrete?

All the sucker rod I've seen has been hard as h*** like cut the bell end and use as a hitch pin hard.

Snow was gone by 2pm yesterday.

Then use it in concrete?

All the sucker rod I've seen has been hard as h*** like cut the bell end and use as a hitch pin hard.

Snow was gone by 2pm yesterday.

Huh, maybe it is hard but the stuff I got just welds weird. I build some fencing on the dry cow lane this winter and getting a nice weld on to the mild steel angle iron bracket was a challenge. Stuck but not something I would show off. 6011 1/8 rod, in a dry box and we use it fast enough it dont go bad. Like I said it melts weird when welding. BUT, it is pitted bad since it is very old.

Guys here use a clip to attach it and the sucker rod just floats in the clip.

Welding sucker rod is no problem if using 7018 or a Mig, in my experience.

This have to do with low hydrogen?

Troy, I think 6010,11,+13 aren't really affected by moisture during storage. Think it is mainly an issue with xx18 rods as the low hydrogen coating attracts moisture.

WHAT IS SUCKER ROD? WHERE WAS IT USED?

Sucker rod is used in oil wells it is the rod that the head pumps pushes down and runs the pump in the bottom of the well. About 3/4 of a inch in diameter with threaded ends.

Not only is ALL of the sucker rod exposed to the well fluids, including salt water (brine), but whatever other chemicals are dumped down the well to dissolve parrafin, treat the corrosive formation fluids, and the like.

The interior of tubing would probably be hard to weld also, but the outside would have been exposed to treated completion fluids, with a corrosion inhibitor added.

0503160857_zps2mso4t2b.jpg

Make life easier.

Love that truck

Love that truck

Best 500 I have in I ever spent.

Love that truck

Best 500 I have in I ever spent.

That's a dang good deal