Sign in to follow this  
Cp 856

706 Range Transmission Top Cover Removal

Cp 856    0

The 706 I have has had problems shifting it will shift into low neutral and reverse with lots of movement in the shifter. It dosent have enough travel to go into high and when in neutral it dosent line up to put into park all the linkage is tight so I think something is wrong inside the top cover is there any tricks to getting the cover off and when I get inside what do I look for that normally breaks. thanks for the help

FarmallTom    0

Poked around a bit and scrounged up this old thread that may be assistance to you.

Carefully inspect your parts to see what all is worn... but... there's a good change that you will want to just replace all the wear parts while you're there...

http://www.redpowermagazine.com/forums/topic/52599-806-range-transmission-cover-is-off/

FT

Make sure you check all the linkage first, you should take the cowl panel off and the kick plate between your feet. Sounds like linkage could be sloppy.

Cp 856    0

I have had all the linkage apart and it dosent have much play in it I thought that was it at first. It was shifting good then all of a sudden it got so it wouldn't go into high. Like normal I was not operating the tractor when it started doing it we were using it to rake hay and the guy operating it didn't say anything just kind of let me find it messed up. So I don't know if something was forced and broke or it just happened on its own

FarmallTom    0

More than likely dropped a roller out.

Pretty common, really.

It's not a bad job to go through that range shifter. It just takes a little time.

FT

Cp 856    0

Is there any tricks to getting the cover off does it have to be in a certain gear or anything special. Does it just lift rite off or do I have to pull any side covers off to access stuff

pete23    0

If I remember right, low range to clear the reverse shaft. If you pull it up part ways and see the reverse shaft want to come along then it would need to be put in high range. Pretty easy to see. Be sure to pull side cover and remove reverse shaft when repairing though.

Cp 856    0

I finally got time to work on the tractor this week I got the range cover off and the cam and rollers and everything else looks new I think the problem is in the shift fork how much movement is in between the shift fork and the shift collar it seem like it is a lot. I have never had any problems with the tractor coming out of gear it was just too much movement in the shifter everything from the shift handle is tight this is the only thing that I find with excessive movement in it. How hard is it to replace the shift fork. thanks for the help