tony in ca.

Started My 806 L.P. restoration

Stripped down the Cat II Q.H. and took frame to blast & prime .

Have to make some pins , Took them to machine shop to duplicate .

Tony

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

Just bought two Cat #3 Quick hitches .

Going to restore one for show on the 1206 and going to leave the other original and make it operational to use on plow days.

This will make five quick hitches ,  two currently on 1468 & 1456 one cat #2 being restored for the 806 and one Cat #3 to be restored for 1206 and one worker for plow days.

Tony

Good deal Tony. Which one of the girls is going to plow?

7 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Good deal Tony. Which one of the girls is going to plow?

Good Question , Sledgehammer,  Danny" Dirtboyz," says Goldie should be working besides being treated like a queen. He worked the heck out of it at Santa Margarita ,  Last May, with 5 shank ripper.  Says." He knows that tractor inside and out and it needs to be worked.:("

So , Goldie draws the ticket for plow days. Plus, I love driving that thing !:wub: Its all brawn. BTW , its getting a set of 12 front weights. The hold up is I bought a pallet of 100 lbs small hole weights. Get them painted and start putting them on and ONE is the big hole 100 lbs ,Sticks out like sore thumb so now need to find one 383-393-R1 paint to match. Darn It , How the heck did I miss that.

The 1468 would be nice, Its operates like new mechanically . However,DV 550 engine parts are hard to come by, and above my pay grade ,so, Ill not push the envelope on it. ;)

The 1206 is so perfect that I'm afraid of climbing on it . Its my eye candy .  Someday, I may have to put a plow behind it for curiosity sake.:)

The 806 could use a work out also, but I am going to give it a year.

Tony

Tony,

All I can say is 'wow', your equipment is beautiful and sounds great!  I was wondering though, about some of your other projects, do you ever worry about getting rings seated on the ones you don't work as much?  Your last post just made me curious. 

Thanks for sharing your journey with us!!!  

Thank You Sir,

No, the others all started out good and have given us no trouble .  Have run most of them on Dyno for break in.

I do use them at Calif. Antique show to pull bleachers and odds & ends , Also run them often  in parades and alternate with pulling Christmas trailer which is usually a 2-3 hour run with 30 foot cotton trailer full of people .

They manage to get a little exercise through out the year.

The 1456 is like a race horse, if I idle it around on lite stuff she starts reacting with smoke, slobber, light leaks ,  Go out run it hard for couple hours and she comes home all happy  , everything cleans out and even the light leaks stop.

Of course the fact that Danny has her turned up to 150 on Dyno does not help. :P

Tony

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, tony in ca. said:

Well !!!!!!!

Think we have the 806 L.P. done .

Bob and I worked her over today and hopefully have her finished and running good.

I did make one change , It had 6 lug front hubs and 11lx15 fronts .

Decided to go with original exhaust . It needed a little TLC and imho looks better in black . Has original I.H. logo & #'s. Cermikoted muffler ,clamps & shield black. Was on tractor when I got it.

I changed my 1468 from 10x16 to 14.1 x16 and have the 1468 8 lug 16's on the 8 and like it . However , when I am sure all is good I will dismount fronts and have David do his magic with paint.

BTW , First post say 806 found her spot in shop Oct of 15  Here we are finished Nov 3 ,2017 , I had predicted 17 months missed it by a few months .:D

Tony

IMG_5412.JPG

IMG_5414.JPG

Being I call Her my Cal-Tex cotton girl and she still had cotton pieces in tool box & front axle valley when I got Her.

My neighbor came by Friday Said, "He knows where there is a two row or four row cotton shredder and He knows a guy not too far that will have some cotton to shred here shortly !" Said," we can get those pieces of cotton stocks back in tool box & all over for Authenticy ":lol:

Got a feeling one day shredding cotton , The front axles & belly would be shinning steel and K&M's would be gone or bent back.:(

Think I'll just break few stocks and put in tool box.!;)

Tony

On ‎11‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, tony in ca. said:

Stripped down the Cat II Q.H. and took frame to blast & prime .

Have to make some pins , Took them to machine shop to duplicate .

Tony

IMG_5430.JPG

IMG_5431.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

IMG_5403.JPG

This one is being done for the 806 . Its Cat 11

Tony

Tony,  since you are talking about something for the "ladies" to exercise with at plow days we should've got this Graham-Hoeme when you got the Cal-Tex 806. lt was pretty cheap ($200.00) and would have fit the era of the 806 perfectly. I had intended to buy it to use with my 664 but it sold before l had a day off to go get it. Of course that's typical for me.....day late and a dollar short!!   lol

hoeme4sale1.jpg

4 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Tony,  since you are talking about something for the "ladies" to exercise with at plow days we should've got this Graham-Hoeme when you got the Cal-Tex 806. lt was pretty cheap ($200.00) and would have fit the era of the 806 perfectly. I had intended to buy it to use with my 664 but it sold before l had a day off to go get it. Of course that's typical for me.....day late and a dollar short!!   lol

hoeme4sale1.jpg

We are in good shape Twostepn  ! I still have a" Cook Plow " which was an updated version of the Gram holm . I believe ours is an 8 ft  Hydraulic, pull unit, still in good shape , Used it with our 560 in the day, was perfect for tearing out alfalfa. used flat wide sweeps and it slid about 10 inches deep  sliced all roots.

Tony

Decided to embark on a little beautification project on the Goldie .

Finally got her front weights done and on missing one right now ,its getting redone.

Going to Cermikote manifold either grey or black ,not sure yet .

Screen was looking ratty so having it powder coated shinny black w/clear coat and grille was showing some tarnish so Chroming it along with alt .belt cover . Installed new set of Jeff's emblems,  Going to put a horn on her .

Next project will be to overhaul the tilt wheel apparatus to take some steering wheel wobble out.

There will be more projects with her but that's it for now.

Some progress pic's

Tony

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

2 hours ago, tony in ca. said:

Decided to embark on a little beautification project on the Goldie .

Finally got her front weights done and on missing one right now ,its getting redone.

Going to Cermikote manifold either grey or black ,not sure yet .

Screen was looking ratty so having it powder coated shinny black w/clear coat and grille was showing some tarnish so Chroming it along with alt .belt cover . Installed new set of Jeff's emblems,  Going to put a horn on her .

Next project will be to overhaul the tilt wheel apparatus to take some steering wheel wobble out.

There will be more projects with her but that's it for now.

Some progress pic's

Tony

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5462.JPG

IMG_5461.JPG

What a beautiful birthday present (although it probably wasn't free)

When you get your chromed grille back and installed in the tractor can you take a few pictures of it? I'm thinking about getting the grille on my 856 chromed since the shift levers and throttle need to be cleaned and/or re chromed I figured I would do the grille too.

Not suggesting mine are in Tony’s class but this is what my 656 row crop utility looks like with chrome grill. 

54463DF2-28AE-40B4-B859-B077822822D0.jpeg

14 hours ago, Bullwinkle said:

Not suggesting mine are in Tony’s class but this is what my 656 row crop utility looks like with chrome grill. 

54463DF2-28AE-40B4-B859-B077822822D0.jpeg

Did you chrome the hood ornament too? I think the chrome grill really adds to the tractor thanks for sharing.

New hood ornament came chromed. Did add chrome hood bolts with a neoprene washer under the chrome washer to protect the paint. 

I felt the hood bolts were an accent without being excessive. Just my opinion. 

20 hours ago, Bullwinkle said:

Your gold demos are pretty sharp but my favorite among yours is the 664.

5 hours ago, twostepn2001 said:

Your gold demos are pretty sharp but my favorite among yours is the 664.

11 hours ago, BOBSIH856 said:

Did you chrome the hood ornament too? I think the chrome grill really adds to the tractor thanks for sharing.

I have seen Bullwinkle's  Goldie's in person and they are second to NONE !  Not to mention His shop where he stores them . You can eat off the floor .

Thank you for sharing that grille picture .  The Chrome grille does enhance a restoration in certain models.

Tony

Bob and I got Old rims & tires off yesterday  ( the 18.4 x38) sold them to my friend Eddie.

We installed new 18" x38 rims in prep for 20.8x38's.

Also first pic I powder coated the screen shinny black . We are going to install a horn on her as the wire is there hanging for it.

Muffler heat shields still at Chroming place.

Tony

BTW 806 rims being repainted .

IMG_5482.JPG

IMG_5484.JPG

IMG_5485.JPG

IMG_5483.JPG

Wheels & 20.8 x38's are on the 1468 .

Fronts were changed to 14.1 x16 and rear's were changed to 18 ' rims and 20.8x38's

Still waiting on replacing horn and powder coated screen .  Also redoing front weights with outsides being stenciled and outlined, just got heat shields back from chrome will be installing next.

Few little things trying to keep the old girl relevant today

Tony 

IMG_5488.JPG

IMG_5489.JPG

IMG_5491.JPG

She sure looks sharp!

3 hours ago, TomH said:

She sure looks sharp!

Thank You Sir .

I really enjoy this tractor , Mechanically, and handling ,its like it has only 500 hours instead of 4100 plus.

Former owner did a great job preserving Her , I am trying to extend that preservation by keeping Her fresh.

Tony 

Still working on odds and ends on the 1456, 1468, 806.

Having trouble downloading pictures from my IPhone to P.C. say P.C is full ? will be working with It to fix problem.

I found a Sun Oscilloscope old school trying to learn this thing. lol. 

Tony

Tony, Tony, Tony ...... is that dust on those fenders?

I think an air filtration system is in order for the new shop... ie... display building.