tony in ca.

Started My 806 L.P. restoration

407 posts in this topic

I hate this for you.  I know this must be disappointing now that she's all nice and shiny to have to take her back down.

2 hours ago, 806Red said:

I hate this for you.  I know this must be disappointing now that she's all nice and shiny to have to take her back down.

Thank You,

With equipment there is always a chance something was overlooked or not done right.

Machine shop has been notified and they are ready to work with me to find the culprit.  They first want to see & hear it run and try to diagnose to hopefully minimize take down.

I agree with Axial-Flow its the head or the block . I am praying its the head.

We'll be back at it hopefully Wed. Will try to get machine shop fella here with Bob and I .

Tony

Tractor Therapy Wed 1/11/17.

Busy day !  trying to listen to Trumps Press Conference but had to go to work on the old Red Girl ,Only caught part of it . Its amazing I was on several boards in my career and that is precisely how we handled things to the point no tip toeing.   But I Digress !

The machine Shop tech was out . We checked for water in oil before start up NONE oil clean . We ran her to operating temp and every so often pulled dipstick and the hotter she got the more steam  showed on filler tube along with milky oil on top of dip stick . Also what I deem as a valve miss continues no matter timing  light, or fuel adjustment , Valve Adjustment , Or head torking. We even removed muffler because it has a baffle thinking perhaps back pressure. ( Knew none of these things would help but you have to convince the nice YOUNG tech ).   

Finally at I;45 P.M. I said enough Butt Scratching! pull the head! . Bob & I had it off by little after three and to Machine shop by 3:45.

Casting looks bad on front two & 4th cylinder . They will tear down inspecting for valve hang up . Then furnace, pressure test , magnaflux . and we'll see what happens, In meantime I am shopping for a 301 L.P. head.  I've lost my confidence on this one.:ph34r:

Feel lot better now that we are back on the move. We've had experience with going back in an engine after all was done on the 560 several years back ,it turned out good with lot experience gained.

I  Just have to realize, Crap happens.:o  Like Bob says, "Thank God ,it does not need to feed cows at 4 AM tomorrow morning". :lol: He had lot of those in His shop career in the middle of Tulare Dairy Country.  Says ,He would get a call at 2 AM,  feeder tractor will not run I need it by 4 AM to feed the next string.:rolleyes: So ,It could always be worse.:lol:

Tony

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

Fwiw....  Is it just not flat enough?   Looks like water line where water shouldn't be from the pictures.  Well, better now than in 8 months when the hood and every thing is set up nice and your getting ready for harvest.

Hi Guys,

Therapy tractor Wednesday 1/18/17  ,Boy!, it sure was a therapy day ,seems like  months since working on old girl . Had the Crud, spent several days under the weather & dealing with Dormant sprays etc.

We have no word yet from Machine shop on the head. So we backfilled , Installed fenders, measured and trying to fit buggy umbrella brackets ,bought unit from  the umbrella people. However, I hate the universal mounting brackets so going to discard all those clamps, rods, etc .  The stand attached to axle cut it to size and weld flat piece on end and use another set of fender u bolts to hold them on with heavier walled  pipe to keep from vibration. ( Hopefully).

We finished the rear lights ,and installed the master switch, and while we are waiting on head, Decided to remove all pieces that I had powder coated trying to save time and gain more durability , However ,when we had her out in sun last week I could see definite difference in red shade . So we removed and will paint them instead.  Pieces were front rims,

front suit case bracket & hanging tie down hooks , steps on right side , K&M steps on left side, battery lid.

I have been able to get away with it on others however , powder coater started using a new batch of powder & its enough off to be noticeable in sun.

Few pictures of today.

Tony

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3733.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

Word from Machine shop : Pressure test no leaks , However rear of head has taper may be cause of light water .

The big thing is that first three cylinders show lot of corrosion ,they blast & grind clean and in a day rust flakes appear . Along with when we were running it . At operating temp. applied heat gun the first three cylinders were always cooler the rear three. ?

So , I am going to go with another head.

Tony

1 hour ago, tony in ca. said:

Word from Machine shop : Pressure test no leaks , However rear of head has taper may be cause of light water .

The big thing is that first three cylinders show lot of corrosion ,they blast & grind clean and in a day rust flakes appear . Along with when we were running it . At operating temp. applied heat gun the first three cylinders were always cooler the rear three. ?

So , I am going to go with another head.

Tony

How much cooler? The front will be slightly cooler because they are closest to the water pump and fan.