tony in ca.

Started My 806 L.P. restoration

498 posts in this topic

Hi Fellas,

Yesterday Bob & I started my 806 L.P. restoration!

As you may remember I purchased this Old Cotton Girl fresh out of field from Anson Texas.

RPF Member Twostepen2001 gave me the heads up on her and John A who recently passed away checked her out for me. His assessment was she is a WELL USED Honest old tractor not abused and he was right.

I purchased it in spring of 2014 it was delivered June of 2014 and she has waited patiently while the SMTA ,S.C., Dyno, 300 U cut in line ahead of Her .

But now its all her.

BTW drained coolant pure clean Antifreeze, Rear end oil smells like Hytran with no visible metal or junk in drain bucket. Air cleaner had inner & outer Old but clean. Will drop hydraulic filter next hope no surprises. Only leak or wet spot on rear is from right torsion shaft.

Engine oil did not have contamination ,will pull filter next.

post-8888-0-44347300-1449775253_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-95816000-1449775269_thumb.jp

Found her parking spot in shop back in Oct.

Tony

post-8888-0-62999100-1449775421_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-63534100-1449775440_thumb.jp

Tony, nice oldie. What's your timetable for the beautiful job you & your crew do on restorations?

Were there ever concerned with the stack being so close to the lp tank? Also, how many hours did a full tank get you compared to a gasser/diesel?

Can't wait for more pictures & to see your progress of no doubt another top notch resto.

Tony, nice oldie. What's your timetable for the beautiful job you & your crew do on restorations?

Thinking 17 months. That's what my 560 & M.M.U , L.A.Case, 400 took.

Perhaps we have a little more experience but Bob and I are averaging 69 of age so might cancel experience out .lol. lol. lol.

Actually I think this girl may be easier depending what we find in tranny, rear, & hydraulics.

Tony

Were there ever concerned with the stack being so close to the lp tank? Also, how many hours did a full tank get you compared to a gasser/diesel?

Can't wait for more pictures & to see your progress of no doubt another top notch resto.

Interesting point you bring up. Every 560LP that I can remember seeing had a heat shield attached to the muffler via a hose clamp. And I remember seeing them on quite a few 806's. BUT....not every one. I have some ad's of new 806's and some show a heat shield and some don't.

Tony can probably explain better than I can but you need some heat on a propane fuel system to get vapor.

Far as fuel consumption, diesel was probably more hours per tank. But you have to consider fuel price.....10 cents gallon for propane/butane vs 20 or 25 cents a gallon. So even if you burned a little more per hour, LP was still cheaper. (I'm talking 1960's prices)

Man, Tony. You have the patience of Job!! The longest I've taken is 12 months and it drove me nuts. It seems that if I can't get it done in 3, them parts start walking away.

Jerry

I like your 806LP. I recently bought a 504LP. If the 504 works out ok for me I will look for a 706 - 856 on LP. Thx-Ace

Man, Tony. You have the patience of Job!! The longest I've taken is 12 months and it drove me nuts. It seems that if I can't get it done in 3, them parts start walking away.

Jerry

Jerry,

It gets very trying some times! No matter what we do it just takes time. Seems like every part ,every repair is 7 days to three weeks. lol. Not to mention Machine shop & painter.

Yeah I have to keep reviewing where everything is & Notes for everything.lol.

Good thing I still have Farming to contend with ,takes me from focusing on being impatient. lol.

It gets rough on me the last phase of finishing. Seems every little screw and washer has to be a special one and if I forgot to have something Machined or repair correctly then its a major set back ,especially if it involves repainting.

Tony

I like your 806LP. I recently bought a 504LP. If the 504 works out ok for me I will look for a 706 - 856 on LP. Thx-Ace

If you find a 856 L.P. grab it! There are a few but very few ,I understand, I think it was the last of L.P.'s for I.H.

Tony

I have no doubt it will look every bit as perfect as the rest whether it takes 17 days, 17 months, or 17 years to complete. I always enjoy seeing your work!

Thank You, Gentlemen ,for your kind sentiments!

God Willing ,I will post here as we proceed. Bob & I work together usually once a week , I try doing most of foot work prior & after.

If course with holidays etc. things tend to slow to a crawl.

Tony

I am not so sure the fittings from manifold to muffler are correct. However, placement is close to correct .

I have always seen them with a heat shield clamped to muffler between muffler & tank also there is a heat shield missing above manifold.

So ,if anyone knows where- a- bouts of replacements of these shields ,please let me know.

Tony

After Christmas & New Year vacation we were back at it today 1/6/16 .

Tank off, brackets off , radiator off about ready to remove engine.

post-8888-0-39208500-1452148386_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-62416400-1452148405_thumb.jp

After Christmas & New Year vacation we were back at it today 1/6/16 .Tank off, brackets off , radiator off about ready to remove engine.

A good beginning to another 1st class resto I am sure Tony. Do you have any special plans for this one or restore it to exactly how it rolled off the line? I know how you like to implement chrome and stainless accents on your tractors.

After Christmas & New Year vacation we were back at it today 1/6/16 .Tank off, brackets off , radiator off about ready to remove engine.

A good beginning to another 1st class resto I am sure Tony. Do you have any special plans for this one or restore it to exactly how it rolled off the line? I know how you like to implement chrome and stainless accents on your tractors.

Will try to keep it as it rolled off line ,With exception if I find Brass or aluminum covered with paint I'll buff it for a little excitement also Items that look good new but tarnish or rust in short while will get special treatment.

For instance propane copper lines go through trouble of making them out of brass HAVAC tubing only to have tarnish? So I buff & powder coat clear on them. Things like that.

Tony

Bob & I put in a good day today 1/13/16.

Starting from front removed bolster, front Axle (Junk)have a rebuilt one waiting. Stripping down engine just need remove pistons & crank.

Engine was very clean inside due to L.P. but its tired Valve guides loose lifters show some pitting.

Front three cylinders burning totally different from rear three cylinders. Have not figured it out open to your thoughts.

Few pictures of todays progress.

Tony

post-8888-0-89522800-1452742097_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-55264400-1452742118_thumb.jp

The valves have I.H. logo and # on them.

We'll be resealing power steering

post-8888-0-07004900-1452742212_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-35475300-1452742233_thumb.jp

Pistons have deep craters do not look like typical I.H. fire craters.

Have not got a number on them yet

post-8888-0-66878400-1452742426_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-83022100-1452742444_thumb.jp

This is the old axle .Its pretty well used & welded and clamps added etc.

I have a rebuilt 8 hole waiting.

How do you guys get the screen off grill for repainting its attached with rivets.?

Tony

post-8888-0-83279300-1452742632_thumb.jp

post-8888-0-02485300-1452742649_thumb.jp

Had to move the 14 out of shop to work on the 806 .Could not help my self, took her out for a two mile exercise session lol.

Bob thought I had deserted him.

Tony

post-8888-0-62189400-1452743462_thumb.jp

He was probably just jealous it wasn't him driving.

Looks like you guys made good progress. I enjoy the pics.

I believe those are drive rivets. Cut a slot in them and turn out with a screw driver. Can be reused or purchase new from industrial supply.

Great progress, John

Looking forward to more & more pictures Tony - looks like you old guys are making good progress ;)

Looking forward to more & more pictures Tony - looks like you old guys are making good progress ;)

Yeah! I think we need to hire young guy to keep track of where we put down last wrench or where did I store the parts I just bought? lol. lol.

And Jerry wonders why we take 17 months ? lol. lol.

Really ! Bob & I love these old tractors and for me working in shop on these old memories is tremendous exercise and best therapy one can have. and the friends I have made and met in the process is beyond what I ever thought.

Tony