Sign in to follow this  
TroyDairy

464 gas timing

Where and how should it be set? What rpm? What degree? Off of balancer?

I knew I did not have a book covering the engine in that model, but looked in the chassis manual and it did list, in the electrical section, 17 degrees before top dead center at high idle. I believe marks are on pulley but not sure. It should fall back to close to top dead center at low idle.

I knew I did not have a book covering the engine in that model, but looked in the chassis manual and it did list, in the electrical section, 17 degrees before top dead center at high idle. I believe marks are on pulley but not sure. It should fall back to close to top dead center at low idle.

Just to be clear. High idle is full throttle no load.

You forced me to go and look at the operators manual for the 464.

Engine: IH C-175

Rated speed: 2400

High Idle: 2640

Low Idle: 625

PTO @ 2150 RPM 542 RPM

Spark timing at high idle: 20 Degrees BTDC

Valve Clearance: Intake- .027"

Valve Clearance: exhaust- .027"

post-20385-0-30776600-1450201946_thumb.j

Some conflicting information here. My book shows two different distributors and not a very good explanation of which advance for which distributor. It shows one with 10 dist degrees and other with 8.5 at 1200 rpm which you of course double advance at engine so 20 and 17 at 2400 rpm. I think, but do not know for sure, they intend the 17 degree advance for the C-200 engine. It does list the 464 at 17 though on the contents page, electrical section.

This is the exact quote from the GSS 1414-1 Blue Ribbon tune up specification book.

20 degrees BTDC @ high idle, Full throttle, no load.

"Proper ignition timing is essential for best performance and engine life. Therefore, the disributor should be set to give the exact timing at high idle. Any varience that may exist then will occur at the low idle end of the advance curve."

And my GSS 16-1 , electrical section, 464 gasoline engine, 17 degrees btdc, plus or minus one degree. And of course at high idle . So, roll the dice. For 574 it shows 20 degrees.

Everyone has their preference but if I was setting one I would opt for the 20 degrees what with alchy in the fuel and pushing the burn more into the valve chambers.

Thanks gentlemen. In fiddling I toasted the starter. Rebuilder should be done by Thursday with it.

Thanks gentlemen. In fiddling I toasted the starter. Rebuilder should be done by Thursday with it.

Dang. You just can't catch a break

This thing is making me crazy. Dad spends all this time n $$ to freshen her up. Rebuild the carb? Nope. Have a guy who gets this system tune it so it's usefull? Nope. Do some measurement to make sure the gov is set right? Nope. So it's a freshly painted barn art. Already got bird stains on it from sitting since the parade in June. I am sure the timing is the deal.. Gutless, heating up, hard starting.

Hey.....get to bed. You have a plane to catch!

20151217_162308_zps86pens2j.jpg

So with a tickle of either she runs. So we got the spark figured out, well enough to run. Started was shooooooottttt the rebuilder said. He was surprised it worked. But the either wears off and poof, dead. So he ordered a new card from ASAP. We think it was rebuilt 1x decade ago. He dont dare open it up. I was not gonna fight for just doing my self. Hope it is nicely done. I bet it's full of gel. Drips fuel from the intake hose. The gasket for the carb to manifold was literally shreds. I think he pulled the manifold and never even removed the carb. No way that gasket went to pot in 10 hours and 1 year.

So you got spark, add a carb so you have fuel, and all that's left is timing.

Just rolling it over in my head, if the starter was shot you may have been dragging down the voltage and it didn't have enough ummph.

What are the points gapped to? The same as when it ran?

No one opened the valve cover so the valves are still set right? Or at least the same as when it was running?

It really sounds like you had bad fuel delivery, weak spark, and a starter sucking the voltage down, keep us in the loop

Good point on the V drag. I had the valves re...re adjusted in April since it was missing so bad. The nuts were almost off #1. I have thought about rechecking them myself again to be safe. Got a pertronix kit.

Man, with all those variables I would go back to the beginning. Set the valves, while its at TDC check the relationship of #1 to the corresponding spot on he distributor and the timing marks on the dampener. Hope for the best and don't be like me and get the distributer rotation backwards.

When you know all those are right I would check each plug for spark with one of those testers that is an inline bulb so you don't burn out the pertronix. I think the pertronix get fried if they try to make spark without a plug grounded.

When you know you have spark then all that is left is fuel and timing. I would go to he local saw shop or box store and buy a quart of 50:1 premixed in a can. Great stuff, give her a little squirt while she's cranking. If she can fire she will.

Keep us posted

Its alive. Got a new carb from ASAParts. $350, looks good and tight. Like done properly. Got it on. Only would fire when cranking..? What? "Did you fiddle with the key wires?", "........a...little". "What a little pregnant too? Y or N?", "Yes,". "If it was running then quit why would you take the wiring apart at the key?", Figured switch might be bad.". "It JUST worked 1 engine hr ago! Put the tester on it?". "No." He'd re-hooked the wires up wrong. Batt to ing, Ing to starter...etc. Redid it...all 3 of them.... Hooked up timing light, it was dusty. Had him jump on and crank. She sputtered. "Choke....its 36 ya know", "Oh yeah". Boom like a top! Crisp and clean. Timing was at 10-11 at 2600 so I set it to 20. What my OEM manual says he found. Like a sewing machine so smooth. The other day my little bro put all new plugs in since some had no electrodes. I assume from the huge vac leak at the base. Fires up with a tap of the key.

THanks for help guys!

20151223_112913_zpswng61gnt.jpg

Cool, sounds like a good end to the year.

Enjoy

.....and she's dead. Gas dripping from the carb bad. Can you adjust the float? So much so that he went to wash it today and it drowned the 4 th cyl. So much it has gas running from exhaust gasket. Cleaned plugs....wont fire now. I may start it on fire.

Time for a road flare and an insurance claim?

Shut he fuel off, let her dry out, and look at it after the holiday.

I had a terrible time with my 454 until I put in a petronix ignition upright exhaust and zenith carb before was cold blooded never ran worth a dam made a new tractor from it.