redstroke

1256 Cummins Conversion

The one piece exhaust manifold on these 8.3 engines is a weak spot. They heat up and want to expand but there is no expansion joint or joints as on a DT407 or DT 466. Manifold distorts,bolts bend or break,and you have an exhaust leak. When these 8.3 engines came out Cummins bragged about how they had fewer parts than competitor's engines. Penny wise and dollar foolish.

Didn't know how your exhaust manifold matched up to we're intake horn is I was going by we're the dodge ones are placed that being an intercooler from factory engine the injectors are I think 7mm u may have to get bigger ones for much more power fuel wise I have a neighbor with a 5240 I'll try and look at his to see for you keep posting pics and what has worked for u if side lined my swap till I finish planting wheat hope to be done by weekend

Had to get take re done at gas tank renu. It was pretty rusty inside. I rattle canned it since they had to blast it.

08B9EF96-696B-4D67-BCA4-806D2998A0E1_zps

Had to ream out to M10-1.5 for the fan spacers.

0B9AC9A8-C00F-47E0-A358-3ECAA21CF07E_zps

775C7E71-2B39-4372-88DB-D163ABD02D36_zps

4050BEC9-5497-455F-AD92-E2CC4E201B07_zps

D7400C2A-8891-42CC-B517-52A3EE9913B1_zps

On to wiring and plumbing. Looks like i am going with 14cm non wastegated turbine housing and the 56mm hx-35 compressor.

Is the Cummins a "b"series engine ?

I am pulling stuff together to put a "B " series Cummins in my 706 gas tractor .

The gas engine runs like a watch but it use more fuel than I like to use in the field .

I am looking for the correct flywheel if anyone knows where I may find one.

I am pulling stuff together to put a "B " series Cummins in my 706 gas tractor .

The gas engine runs like a watch but it use more fuel than I like to use in the field .

Talk to ed lehman on the board here, he should be able to help.

Yes its a 5.9 cummins B series and yes Ed can hook you up with parts.

14" flywheel new with correct bolt pattern on shelf the bigger clutch is a smart move and the setup is bout same money as 12" unless you are lucky enough to find used.

plates we are running a week behind on right now

When I get ready I will get back to you Ed

field equipment repairs have to come first this winter.

I very much appreciate your input.

be glad to help, there are some pretty awesome conversions being done.

We decided today to make one of our winter projects an attempt to put a kit together for the 74/84/85 series and the 4BT. Several guys have asked for this in the recent past. I guess the parts cost of the little four cylinder german is getting out of hand. Thought we would give it a try. It is going to be a challenging install in that it takes frame rails or plates along the side to tie things together, The real trick is getting the starter to fit into the bell housing. Block gets in the way of the original location.

Second and third new project is plate to repower the W-6 SW6 with a 4bt and the W9 series which will include the 600 and 650 with a 6bt. We have been working on those two for a little while and it should be a fairly fast finish.

Make a wheatland tractor get up and go pretty strong. if we get the 6bt Cummins in the 9 series we should be able to do same thing with a 312 or 360 in the same spot.

ed

While I realize good 5.9 bt Cummins engines are cheap and plentiful from scrapped dodge trucks, what about the DT360 school bus engines as an alternate? There are getting to be quite a few retired school buses with this engine. I think they would fit in to any of the 06, 56, 66, or 86 series without too much trouble. Any comments?

DT 360 is a great choice for a repower of the 06 and 56 series tractors and lots of guys use the 66 and 86 series rear engine plates to do that install, kind of ugly because they sort of have a set of ears on each side of the bell. We build a plate out of aluminum that makes them look like a factory installed piece, and a 360 fits in with out stretching frame rails in a bunch of the tractors. The biggest challenge is the front cover because of the water return on the truck engines. there are ways to fix that as well but it takes a couple of hours to do it and make it look factory.

i like a 312 in a 560 myself and a 360 without a turbo would probably be a slick setup in one of those

ed

Personally hoping to stick my qsb 3.3 in my 656.

be glad to help, there are some pretty awesome conversions being done.

We decided today to make one of our winter projects an attempt to put a kit together for the 74/84/85 series and the 4BT. Several guys have asked for this in the recent past. I guess the parts cost of the little four cylinder german is getting out of hand. Thought we would give it a try. It is going to be a challenging install in that it takes frame rails or plates along the side to tie things together, The real trick is getting the starter to fit into the bell housing. Block gets in the way of the original location.

Second and third new project is plate to repower the W-6 SW6 with a 4bt and the W9 series which will include the 600 and 650 with a 6bt. We have been working on those two for a little while and it should be a fairly fast finish.

Make a wheatland tractor get up and go pretty strong. if we get the 6bt Cummins in the 9 series we should be able to do same thing with a 312 or 360 in the same spot.

ed

I had thought about a 6bt in a 9 but the cast tub seemed a little short it would defiantly be a nice project to see we have a nice running 392 out of a loadstar that was being scrapped have hopes of putting it in a WD9 that has no motor now but it's still a few projects away

We decided today to make one of our winter projects an attempt to put a kit together for the 74/84/85 series and the 4BT.

ed

ED,

Both of these conversion would be great. Would the W-6/4bt kit also work for an M/400/450? Is there a way to easily incorporate a live hydraulic pump onto a 4bt?

I'd be very interested in the 74/84/85 series conversion. Those tractors are so handy, but as you say parts are getting expensive.

Ed when you talked about a repower in a 650 it brought back some good memories .Back 1978when I was in FFA my dad had a 650 D. that cracked a head and we could not find a reasonable replacement so as a project we put a GMC truck V6 in it .

What a great tractor 200HP. My father past away in FEB. 2013 My oldest brother restored the tractor last winter.it brings a tear just to think about it today .

post-88609-0-51132200-1449799764_thumb.j

Ed when you talked about a repower in a 650 it brought back some good memories .Back 1978when I was in FFA my dad had a 650 D. that cracked a head and we could not find a reasonable replacement so as a project we put a GMC truck V6 in it .

What a great tractor 200HP. My father past away in FEB. 2013 My oldest brother restored the tractor last winter.it brings a tear just to think about it today .

attachicon.gif650restored.JPG

That is a nice looking tractor, bet road gear would put some bugs in your teeth!! Neat to redo a family tractor,

I found a 650-D about a year ago that my dad bought out of Archibald Ohio and sold back east here when i was about 10 years old. Still has the company sticker on it from when he first started selling on his own. Tractor is rough and on steel wheels now; and I think I got it bought this week, figured it would be a good project. I found pictures of it from 1965 with my brother and I standing beside it so I decided to go after it. will use it to fit up a couple of engines for plates and see where it ends up.

We decided today to make one of our winter projects an attempt to put a kit together for the 74/84/85 series and the 4BT.

ed

ED,

Both of these conversion would be great. Would the W-6/4bt kit also work for an M/400/450? Is there a way to easily incorporate a live hydraulic pump onto a 4bt?

I'd be very interested in the 74/84/85 series conversion. Those tractors are so handy, but as you say parts are getting expensive.

For the M through 450 and even the 560/660 series we use the same plate as the one we build for a 706 with a different flywheel. And yes the Cummins has a pump mounting spot on the left front

corner and it makes a good drive for a live pump,

The W series is a lot harder to find center line on and mounting the flywheel and starter present some challenges. i like to stay as close to factory as possible on the starter and ring gear so that people can find parts.

The complications of computers, sensors and general difficulty in understanding how these new tractors function has created a lot of interest in going back to the more basic tractors of the past/

and the cost of this new stuff changes things a bit as well.

I have a question for the guys running the single group 31s in place of 2 4EH or 3EH.

Which side of the tractor have you had better luck putting the single battery on?

Comparison info from specs found on internet and batteries avail at family farm and home:

L W H CCA Volt $ notes

3EH 19.25 4.25 9.75 875 6 $95 in series you get 875 CCA

4EH 19.25 5 10 930 6 $128 in series you get 930 total CCA

31 12.9 6.75 9.27 1000 12 $145 1 battery gets 1000 CCA and less cables to keep up.

Thanks Ed

I look forward to seeing some photos of the projects.

Archabold ohio is pretty close to where I live.

My view is to go for two group 31 batteries in parallel for 06, 56, 66 series etc. That is what the Maxxum MX120 has and it is just a modern version of these tractors. Having 1900 to 2000 CCA will guarantee starts in most any weather except for sub zero F weather. That is my experience with the MX120. Put one on the left and one on the right in front of or underneath the cab gives a reasonably neat looking installation

On an open station tractor, you probably want to put the single Group 31 on the right, because most of your on/off activity is on the left.

Wish I could come up with a good place to put one on the 1066. Because of the cab you have to pull half the sheet metal off the tractor to get at the battery, and it has battery problems all too often. I've seen lots of them where someone got sick of dealing with the factory batteries and cobbed a battery tray on the frame rail.