Sign in to follow this  
Hoot

Enduro Series XT3

Had a lot of trouble with my 20 yr old 1864 this year, spent over $520 on 2 repairs earlier this summer & then the PTO clutch went out (2nd time in 6 years) and when I took it back to the dealer they convinced me it was time to trade & upgrade because I would never get the money I spent on repairs back. So I pulled the trigger & bought an XT3 with a 54" fabricated deck. It was only supposed to take a week to get the complete outfit but it took 7 weeks to get the deck due to robotic welder issues at the factory. Took delivery of it a little over a week ago.

At this point I'm not going to mow my yard until next spring because of our dry conditions & cold weather coming, I want the yard to have some growth when it frosts, that may not make any difference that's me.

Just wondering if anyone has one of these outfits & how do you like it? Are there any issues to be aware of? I should have asked this question before buying but since I already had a Cub Cadet & I preferred to stay with that brand. I have seen some negative reviews of the smaller series (XT1 & 2) on the Cub Cadet Facebook page about "can't keep belts on" or "cheaply made" but those units were purchased from either box stores or farm supply stores such as TSC. I was told by my dealer that it does make a difference where you buy these mowers because the ones sold at box stores have fewer bells & whistles than the ones sold by Cub Cadet dealers. In reality it comes down to you getting "what you pay for".

Looking forward to using it next spring!

Hoot I don't know about the newer ones but I have a 2166 with a 42 inch deck. The deck needs to be replaced because of the metal being worn through due to sandblasting from the blades and the mower only has 250 hrs. This definitely isn't the quality of the 682 and 782 that I still have. Eason

Hoot I don't know about the newer ones but I have a 2166 with a 42 inch deck. The deck needs to be replaced because of the metal being worn through due to sandblasting from the blades and the mower only has 250 hrs. This definitely isn't the quality of the 682 and 782 that I still have. Eason

Eason, do you have the stamped steel deck? I had a choice of stamped steel or a fabricated deck, the fabricated was $100 more and I was advised to get the fabricated deck because it was heavier & much better built. I chose the fabricated deck & it does look more rugged.

Hoot mine has the stamped steel deck.

I would love to see an objective review by someone that does own an XT3. I am trying to decide between a XT3 GSX with a 48" fabricated deck, or a JD X500 with a 48" deck. I am not a Deere fan, but I do Question the Cub Cadet warranty, and also quesrion the CC dealer support in my area.. I do like the rear axle/hydro setup on the CC, and the direct driveshaft. I am unsure of the 25hp kohler command on the cc vs the 25hp Kawasaki on the JD. Price advantage will be $400 to CC (along with 0%financing for 48mo, vs 4.9% for 48 on the JD.... I figure the resale advantage goes to the x500, but I am buying for a long term use situation.

Be interesting to hear the input on both these models!!

Lots of cheap plastic on the Deere's. I was at my local Deere dealer to buy a Stihl leaf blower, and because I was "invisible", waited 15-20 minutes before someone waited on me.... But I did look at a new garden tractor briefly, may have been an X500, most everything you touch was plastic. Lots and lots of imported parts on them too, probably from India.

Can't say for sure but suspect the new Cub Cadet would be about the same. I've ignored all new Cub Cadets since about 1990. I complain a lot about the Onan engine in my 1980 982, with good reason I think, but the tractor & deck is solid.

XT3 GSX arrived this morning... here are some pics.... I am pleased at the construction of this mower, as it has a shaft drive, cast iron rear end that is serviceable with filter, fabricated deck, 25hp Kohler, etc.

post-263-0-08264300-1445705703_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-48011800-1445705748_thumb.jpg

post-263-0-11394400-1445705771_thumb.jpg

That looks way better built than the CC's I've seen at the big box stores.

I would love to see an objective review by someone that does own an XT3. I am trying to decide between a XT3 GSX with a 48" fabricated deck, or a JD X500 with a 48" deck. I am not a Deere fan, but I do Question the Cub Cadet warranty, and also quesrion the CC dealer support in my area.. I do like the rear axle/hydro setup on the CC, and the direct driveshaft. I am unsure of the 25hp kohler command on the cc vs the 25hp Kawasaki on the JD. Price advantage will be $400 to CC (along with 0%financing for 48mo, vs 4.9% for 48 on the JD.... I figure the resale advantage goes to the x500, but I am buying for a long term use situation.

at our dealership we havenot had a warrenty issue turned down in years. they are real reasonable but we don't ask for the redicules or out of warrenty consideration for 6-7 year old machines its mostly your dealer we had a new cadet a couple of years ago with some lift issues they gave the guy a new cadet because we would have to put aweld on the powder coated frame I asked what to do with the old cadet our church could use a newer mower they gave it to them the welds were spray painted looked good and every body was happy'

Eason i like 82 series tractors also but your biggest problem is the vastly greater suction the 42 blades do sandblast a lot more . the 44 and 50 in decks had way more stripping problems lots of experiance with cadet we have sold them since 61

r190, im a dealer also

r190, im a dealer also

Yea your so close to them you can just yell out the door at them when your not happy I have to use the phone did you go to Florida this year?

no i didnt go

I have the older version of the XT3. Mine is a GT 2550. The only difference is the new sheet plastic on it. Mine is a good product. The only thing that is a bit light is the mower drive belt. I was told that all manufacturers make them that way for protection if you hit an obstacle..

Hoot mentioned robotic welder issues at the factory. If its the Willard, Ohio plant, the company I work for is the one who handles the repair of the welding equipment for the Willard plant. Small world, huh?

Bought a new XT2 in April 2015. Had a '83 CCC 782 for a few years that was giving me more fits than I liked each time I was trying to mow, so bought the new one. It has the stamped steel deck and a 23 HP Kawasaki engine. Used it all mowing season and it did just what it was designed to do: cut grass. The stamped deck is light, so you probably did well with the upgrade fab deck.

I now have the 782 running good, so am looking forward to using both this Spring. Hope your XT3 works well for you.

Stanton, when do we get to see pictures??

As I said in my original post, I stored my new XT-3 for the winter after taking delivery last fall and waited until the week before last to use it for the first time. All I can say is, "WOW!", I'm very impressed! Quite an improvement over the old 1864 I used to have, it steers so much shorter, more power and the cruise control is nice to have although the 1864 had something similar to it with the hand lever, just set it & let it go. With the foot controls on this one cruise is a nice option to have. Also the fabricated deck is well built and after mowing for 2+ hrs it does not have a large accumulation of grass on top of the deck like the old stamped steel deck the 1864 had. Am very happy with it so far & mowing should be more fun this summer & years to come.

On the Cub Cadet page in Facebook Cub Cadets get a bad rap because they are made by MTD. What a lot of people don't realize is that the Cub Cadet division of MTD has their own engineering dept and that the CC's are built to their standards, which are obviously higher than the other brands built by MTD. It's no different than Lincoln cars being built by Ford or Cadillac being built by GM. It also makes a difference where one purchases their CC whether it's from a CC dealer or a box store, you get what you pay for.

Stanton, when do we get to see pictures??

Don't believe I've taken any pics of my XT2. LOL

GSX objective review:

I’ve always been a GD guy. However I purchased my XT3 GSX lawn tractor August 2015 to supplement my GD LA155 which has 200+ hours although it still gets the job done. My lawn tractors are used for lawn care mostly. The direct shaft drive instead of a belt caught my attention since my yard consists of hills and slopes. I rarely used my GSX the year purchased because it looked so awesome I didn’t want to get it dirty. The season was also winding down so it stayed in the shed mostly. My yard is challenging on the drive way side and in back of the house with a 15+ degree slope.  

2016 was a good year with My GSX with its great power (with an occasional engine back fire during start up/shutdown), excellent handling, strong pull with the use of aerator and de thatching accessories. After bring my concerns about the engine back fire to the place where I purchased GSX, I was told that this was normal. As a 30+ year aircraft, automotive and diesel mechanic, I assure you it’s not.  

September 2016 I took a spill at work that had me not doing yard work for several weeks so the grass was quite tall after healing and would have taken a few passes with the GD. My GSX with its awesome power cut that tall grass down in one pass without hesitation.  

June 2017 I was cutting grass and started to notice that the rear of my GSX tractor had a slight shift as I mowed along the slope. I didn’t really think much of it at the time because I was using my GD to cut the lawn mostly due to its cleaner ball field looking cut, and I was more comfortable with it on the slopes. 

August 2017 I took a week off work and rented a back hoe to work on my driveway moving stone and dirt for tree planting. I used my GSX with my CC dump trailer to move dirt/stone to various areas of driveway.  Again, the unit performed great. 

First week September 2017, while mowing with my GSX, I noticed a significant and uncomfortable rear end shift as I mowed sloped area of lawn along driveway. There was also the feeling of a knock in axle. I pulled the GSX in the garage to inspect. After jacking the rear, and placing on jack stands, play was noted at shaft area of both wheels. Left side moved in and out 1”. Right side moved in and out 1.5”. To me this was obvious bearing failure, later confirmed by repair shop. 

11 September 2017 I arrange pick up of unit by authorized repair shop (same shop I purchased through). A month passed with no word from repair shop, so I stopped by 20 October 2017 to check and was told that the mechanic was on vacation and that he had to order a transmission replacement because he couldn’t get the bearings off shaft.  Seriously? 

The long story short, keep an eye on the rear of your “STRONGSVILLE” before your warrantee runs out, just in case. My GSX has 65 hours on it, and most of this is biggest lawn tractor show boating hours. Maybe I just got the lemon, and the rest of the XT3 GSX lawn tractors are fine.....

The only failure we have had on those transmissions is a customer ran one off a curb onto something and punched a hole in the case. As far as the excuse you got it was just an excuse not a good reason for the delay. I would really be interested in the root cause of the failure unusual things do happen and which bearing actually failed.