sugarmaker

TD6 Dozer/Loader

Thx Ian, will start a new thread and post updates once I start into it .. Won't be until the New Year now ...

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas !! 

Ian,

Looking forward to your work on the adjusters. Be careful, the diagonal brace on the TD6 is what did in my back. They are heavy and in a very awkward low location under the machine.

Merry Christmas to all forum members and their families!

Regards,

Chris

Well the snow is deep in the Erie area. The TD6 still is tarped. Thinking that I should dump some anti gell fluid in the tank just in case:)

I have been getting the drive cleared with the Jubilee and back blade. Need to go across town to daughters and see if the Allis WD45 will start to plow here drive too.

We got about 24 inches of snow. Places by the lake (10 miles north) got 38 to 60+ inches.

Regards,

Chris

Well the snow is deep in the Erie area. The TD6 still is tarped. Thinking that I should dump some anti gell fluid in the tank just in case:)

I have been getting the drive cleared with the Jubilee and back blade. Need to go across town to daughters and see if the Allis WD45 will start to plow here drive too.

We got about 24 inches of snow. Places by the lake (10 miles north) got 38 to 60+ inches.

Here is a picture test using a method other than photobucket.

https://imgur.com/OB1WIdC 

works as a link but not as a picture? 

Regards,

Chris

Sorry about the picture thing. Trying different approaches, doesnt seem to be working, now/yet.

Anyway the neighbor pulled in the drive as I was ready to go out and plow the new foot of white stuff. He plowed the drive with his truck, and I road in the cab stayed warm  and visited.

I mentioned that the snow was getting deep enough that I might have to fire up the TD6. He just laughed, saying "I don't think so"!! Kind of gave me a challenge to get out and try to see if the TD6 would start and run and move! I would love to get some pictures in the snow to show KoO and all the RedPower folks too. We shall see how foxy I feel in the next few days. Probably be a good idea to put the battery on charge over night. I have fresh gas for it. Also have some diesel additive for the fuel that should go in also. Most of the basic systems have been improved over the last few years. Can start it from the seat, Electrical has been upgraded, tracks tightened, hydraulic coupler repaired. The IH engine system was designed for this type of cold weather starting too. About 15 deg F . here right now. 

Any suggestions appreciated! Even if it is "Stay in the house old man!"

Regards,

Chris

44 minutes ago, sugarmaker said:

Sorry about the picture thing. Trying different approaches, doesnt seem to be working, now/yet.

Anyway the neighbor pulled in the drive as I was ready to go out and plow the new foot of white stuff. He plowed the drive with his truck, and I road in the cab stayed warm  and visited.

I mentioned that the snow was getting deep enough that I might have to fire up the TD6. He just laughed, saying "I don't think so"!! Kind of gave me a challenge to get out and try to see if the TD6 would start and run and move! I would love to get some pictures in the snow to show KoO and all the RedPower folks too. We shall see how foxy I feel in the next few days. Probably be a good idea to put the battery on charge over night. I have fresh gas for it. Also have some diesel additive for the fuel that should go in also. Most of the basic systems have been improved over the last few years. Can start it from the seat, Electrical has been upgraded, tracks tightened, hydraulic coupler repaired. The IH engine system was designed for this type of cold weather starting too. About 15 deg F . here right now. 

Any suggestions appreciated! Even if it is "Stay in the house old man!"

Regards,

Chris

It'll start. Won't even breath hard. Mine would start if it was below zero.

go for it Chris, we had 50F today in the pacific nw.  We feel for all you folks with the extreme cold and snow.

Dennis

We are in a deepfreeze right now in northern Canada, -30 Fahrenheit for the last few days..

Pretty sure the TD9 would start if I needed it to... Has a good circulating block heater, would plug it in for a couple hours, and it should start in gas mode.

The diesel has antigel in it, so switching over should be no issue.. I would start out moving slowly until oils in the transmission, rear end and the hydraulics warmed up a bit.. should be business as usual after that.. the thermostat keeps the engine temp around 190 degrees .. 

Need to dress pretty warm, some heat from the engine comes into the driver's compartment, but not a lot at this temp.. 

Thanks Guys! 

Yes it would seem that some crude side shields would allow a little warmth to come back to the operator too.

Well we didnt get to it today. Temp is in single digits tonight. Dog and cat are in the house where its warm!

Regards,

Chris

Happy New Year!

I brushed some snow off the TD6 this evening, added anti-gel to the fuel tank, and applied the battery charger. I did not try to start it yet. I have it up on 6 x 6's so it shouldn't be froze to the ground. The snow is getting deep enough around the drive that it may be called upon to play in the snow?:) Have never ran it in the winter so may be a challenge? Could end up being yard art?! I did get a few pictures and will try to post them.

Stay warm out there!

Regards,

Chris

Folks some pictures:

Hooked up charger:

DSC08494.JPG.a9a1f7711443940390cb6c3a181eed84.JPG

Fuel additive

DSC08493.JPG.891990ffeebceeb089e0650a2a7030bc.JPG

Some snow on the old TD6

DSC08488.JPG.06732f18e7039d8824d072d520508ba7.JPG

Some of the snow on trash cans,

DSC08495.JPG.e4fce45065254408466224654859700a.JPG

Snow on the back deck.

DSC08484.JPG.07fa054d8ca47e9116cc09a95799a4a0.JPG

Regards,

Chris

Chris ,I cant wait to see your "6" pushing the snow around ,Best of luck !!  Slow and easy

Just a couple of shots and video  to get you warmed up ,and then go show that PA snow who is boss ,:)

Nothing like tracks to move a bit of white stuff

5a4af0470dd17_td7snow003(1280x765).thumb.jpg.e1a8115ae7626c5dcc1adb085040378d.jpg5a4af0649a4c3_td7snow010(1280x765).thumb.jpg.5b84ce78629e5020f944d6225cb4a01f.jpg

Kevin,

Very nice shots and video too! Thanks for the encouragement. Good to see someone pushing the white stuff around!

I just need to get out there for a hour or so today. Grandaughter's are visiting today with there new pup, keeping us busy.  

Storm has stopped and temps are rising! 15 degree F at the moment.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Well the starting of the TD6 was not successful! I had every thing ready to go and when I attempted to start it the engine would not even turn over?? Starter drew down the volt meter, and the engine did not even try to crank. Battery was up. So we retarped it and will wait for warmer weather to figure out what the issue is. Temp is 8 degree F. Hope its nothing major??

Regards,

Chris

Hopefully just something like a poor battery post connection ...  or your battery will still take a charge but cannot take any current draw ..

Rawleigh,

Not even sure where I could get a breaker bar in to turn it over?? Seems I would have to take the starter off, to get to the ring gear, or something on the tranny cover?? Not warm enough for either of those things to happen. My back is still tender.  Just getting it prepared to fire up was enough for one day.:)

I was thinking that the battery may not be getting a good connection too. Severe cold weather tests everything, even your patience. North I was thinking that the battery might be the problem. minimized Cold cranking amps may be the problem too? 

Have to think on this one a little bit.

Thanks guys for checking in on me. Year older today. They seem to be going a whole lot faster than when I was 20!

Regards,

Chris 

3 hours ago, sugarmaker said:

Thanks guys for checking in on me. Year older today. They seem to be going a whole lot faster than when I was 20!

"The Journal of Irreproducible Results" once had an article "proving" that, as you get older, time does go faster

Thanks Ian, I needed that!:)

Well the TD6 cold start saga continues. Since I played all morning, at physical therapy, visiting with friends, shopping,  and having lunch with a deer hunting buddy, I decided to just read some Sherlock Holmes this after noon and take a nap. Well the darn old TD6 kept looming up in front of me! About 3:00 I put some warm clothes on and headed out to look at it again. Tried the starter again and nothing. Checked the battery after that and it only registered about 9 volts. Pulled the battery and checked it for water. One cell had ice in it. Took the battery to NAPA and they load tested it. Of the 750 CCA (cold cranking amps it was supposed to have, they found about 150 available). Brought home a new commercial battery with 950 CCA.( another birthday present to me) Put it in place, (man those are getting heavy or I am getting older and weaker??) and went to put on the positive cable and the clamp on the cable end was broken/loose. Back to NAPA to get a new replacement end for that cable. About that time son Eric arrived and he gave me a new cross bow case for my birthday. He also informed me that I did not have to work on this old stuff on the coldest days of the year and alluded to the fact that I wasnt 25 anymore, and this stuff wasn't important like when we were farming ! Hrumppppfffffff! Where was he when that heavy battery needed to be removed and installed?:) Darkness set in as we visited, so I did not get the TD6 back together. Tomorrow I will make another stab at it. I really doubt that the engine is stuck, this tractor has been through these things many times in its life. Its usually a combination of things that add up to a problem. In this case it may have been a very weak battery and a loose cable connection? (Both of these mentioned by knowledgeable folks in above posts!)I really should have NAPA make up a new heavy positive battery cable with the correct crimped ends, and about a foot longer!

Stay tuned!

Regards,

Chris

Happy Birthday Chris.  Stay warm and dry the TD6 can wait for warmer days.

Dennis

Dennis,

Thanks! 

Another 6 inches of snow today and maybe another foot coming. Looking forward to a slight increase in temps early next week.

Regards,

Chris

Folks,

Some pictures from today.

First the new battery and connector for the positive cable was the answer to getting it to turn over.  It really struggled to start, not sure if I flooded it or what? Half choke and a lot of intermittent cranking got it to finally fire on all cylinders and keep running on gas. Once warmed up it changed over to diesel. 

jhgXeLT.jpg

nDdeR4Q.jpg

Its running!

RRl2oWr.jpg

3WCGXPd.jpg

sSj1DrU.jpg

T8cd3hT.jpg

Plowed back some of the big piles. Started to get some steam from the radiator area (front of engine) as it got warm and did some work. New temp gauge did not show any signs of heat. I need to find what the problem is sometime. Not good to over heat it.

JbesESg.jpg

JcYgUrX.jpg

wlqajt4.jpg

Was good to get it out. All systems worked as well as expected. Steering clutches and brakes worked for steering. New alternator was charging. Lights worked well. Hydraulics functioned well. Glad I attempted to tighten the tracks too! With another 8 -16 inches expected by Saturday and with temps near zero, probably good to get some of this pushed back to make some room. Warmer temps coming back next week.

FYI Used Imgur to store these pictures (instead of photobucket) and then copy the picture data to the thread. 

Regards,

Chris

Glad to see you got it running Chris, and were able to move some of that snow around ..

Could the steam in the rad area possibly be from melting snow that came over the top of the bucket, and into the rad area ? 

North,

I had not thought of snow, causing the steam, but it could have been that also? Driveway needs plowed again here too ,so the Jubilee will get the call later this afternoon for plow duties. Snowing pretty good clip here right now. At a rate of 1/2 inch a hour. Erie has gotten 120 plus inches of snow so far this season. Looks like it will set some records for snow fall in our little neck of the woodlot!:)

Fired up the F-250 to warm up and then off to work on a orange tractor at daughters. I think it (WD45) needs a battery and also needs the hydraulic fluid changed out. 

I like the diesel truck but it sure takes a while to get some heat in the cab!

Regards,

Chris