AKwelder

Life in Alaska

Last trip of the season, I hope.  Flew to Prudhoe Bay this morning.  Weather was not ideal as you can see from the drive out to the pump station

IMG_4286.thumb.JPG.a56ef4e01dcaa648ce35c5511479b195.JPG

Not the worst but no fun, and it was just before 2 in the afternoon

We caught up with the crew that is getting things cleared so we can drive down the pipeline and get to work.  They rented a snow blower

IMG_4287.thumb.JPG.8f5414def72e17aad0dbd213f311dcab.JPG

i think it is a Volvo 180 loader pushing it.  

Well we had a heck of a time, the equipment had some issues, and the weather sure wasn't helping.  We got the repair done but we're busting drifts getting out, somfor our final deal today we took a snow cat instead of blowing open a 8 mile road.  It's been fairly warm, right around zero, but windy, 10 mph to 25 mph  winds 

IMG_4295.thumb.JPG.3ad4a2ac4f96a6e1470beab71d514a69.JPG

then an on my way to the airport they had the quad tracks at one of the spreads lined up so I grabbed a photo

IMG_0383.thumb.JPG.540afcfe9aa45762c57ffbf38f311a37.JPG

The same company has another 11 in another yard a mile or two across the field.  They must like them, and they all have winches on the back

sitting in the airport parking lot waiting for check in, so I can go home, weather is suppose to take a big turn for the worse tonight.  I will fly 1200 miles one way and never leave the state.  

Man that's a lot of money in Quadtracs sitting there!

How do they go about starting them after sitting a while? I wouldn't think the grid heater/glow plugs would be enough to pop them off?

They start things just like I do but with a bigger heater,  they throw a old parachute over the top, then use a heater.  We have trailer mounted heaters that have a Kubota gen set for power and are rated at 600k BTU,s (or more).   They run a trunk under the parachute and let her cook for a couple hours, they fire right up.  I have seen them use 4 or 5 heaters when they are trying to get things thawed out

It’s hard to see but this cracked me up, look close 

C8453C40-3927-4600-9279-13209B20CC58.thumb.jpeg.401f6aa284e0c02cbff92b41554da392.jpeg

three different collage window stickers, and the the fuel cap/door were left open.  I know it’s an honest mistake, but I find it humorous 

Well red power strikes again, I have traveled to Florida to get my tan for Christmas, and had a wonderful chance to meet a fellow red power member and his family.  We flew into Orlando Thursday and we traveled a bit and met  SMiller and his wonderful family. Had a great home cooked diner and enjoyed a wonderful night. The kids had great fun and we even got to see some farming the next morning before we headed south.  Now I should have gotten some pictures but we are hoping to see the farmall museum on the return leg so I will do better then.

thank you SMiller  

22 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

Well red power strikes again, I have traveled to Florida to get my tan for Christmas, and had a wonderful chance to meet a fellow red power member and his family.  We flew into Orlando Thursday and we traveled a bit and met  SMiller and his wonderful family. Had a great home cooked diner and enjoyed a wonderful night. The kids had great fun and we even got to see some farming the next morning before we headed south.  Now I should have gotten some pictures but we are hoping to see the farmall museum on the return leg so I will do better then.

thank you SMiller  

Enjoy the sunlight and warmth...