AKwelder

Life in Alaska

I don't watch them much anymore too real for me (Sarcasm). But I only heard them talk about the Ice Cut once briefly. Now don't get me wrong that road can get to be a beeoch when it wants to. ^_^ But no hill for a stepper.

Government Peak on Bullion Mountain
post-114211-0-28699000-1418505784_thumb.

1943 T-9 in dire need of some TLC

post-114211-0-40885000-1418505861_thumb.

I'm writing up "A Real Life Reality Moment" for the post ... give me a day or two

I'm writing up "A Real Life Reality Moment" for the post ... give me a day or two

Make sure you cut it up good then put it together so it looks hours long and dangerous filled drama.

Well I just carried a ton of pellets in for the furnace. Time for a break.

We burn wood pellets for heat and end up burning 7 tons or better a year. 300 a ton. Verse a colder house and 1100 gallons of diesel at 3.80 a gallon.

Time for a true Alaska tradition, the wife saved her bonus and we are going to hawaii. Our red decorations will be sun burns

I should do that some day. I hear it's ok....

I do have high hopes. I have never been.

My 9 year old is all about sharks and we are going on a shark cage deal. He is going to flip out.

I am looking forward to laying in the sun and playing with my boys in the surf. And forgetting about work.

I have heard about forgetting about work. Sounds interesting, i cant even envision that!

Having your name on the buisness changes it. The curse and joy

Time for a true Alaska tradition, the wife saved her bonus and we are going to hawaii. Our red decorations will be sun burns

Alaskan' favorite wine ............................................. "I want to go to Hawaii!"

Alaskan' favorite wine ............................................. "I want to go to Hawaii!"

That's good

Wow gota say before I went I was not looking forward to Hawaii but I'd go back tomorrow now I didn't care for honalulu that much but out of the city's it's nice we got married there in 05. Have a great trip we are heading to Cancun for the holidays this year

Just landed in Sea-Tac. Roughest flight in some time. Must still be a weather front along the west coast

Now it's time for a $12 coffee and a breakfast

Just landed in Sea-Tac. Roughest flight in some time. Must still be a weather front along the west coast

Now it's time for a $12 coffee and a breakfast

Oh is there a sale on coffee?

Calm as can be here. Have fun. Tour a cane farmand ship yard. Blue collar folks have to see what they do on vacation you know!

We are going with a big herd to Cozumel or Playa DeCarmen in Feb. I just wrote a check an know no details. Already nervous about the group dynamics....

Fed my two boys, well I bought food and they didn't like it so they ate enough to stay on our good side.

It always amazes me with the cost of airport food. People always claim this and that. But the truth is supply and demand. They have the supply and we have demand so they set the price

Part 1

I'll work on the rest "The Thick Plottens"

A Real Life Reality Moment

It was February of 1975, I was seventeen when I landed my first job on the Alaska Pipeline, I had it made; see my dad had owned a small trucking company so I already knew how to drive by the age of ten. But that is yet another real life reality moment. My dad and brother also worked out of Service City a camp 18.4 miles from the Deadhorse Airport on the BP side. At that point in time, General Contractors was building an ice road to Kuparuk using water and river rock from the Sagavanirktok River (Sag River). I had landed the best job ever; the Ol boy that had the courier/expediter job went on R&R for two weeks and I took over his job.

On the North Slop it is all flat the only thing visible is the distant weathered backside of the Brooks Range. Depending on conditions at the equator the first atmosphere ends at about a thousand feet due to the slight egg shape of the earth on the North Slop the first atmosphere can end as little as twelve feet. So a storm can rage and ravage along the ground and fifteen feet off the ground it can be a bright sunny balmy day – you just can’t see the ground. The wind will blow three days one way then turn and blow three days in the other direction so ounce the wind gets started there is nothing to stop it or slow it down but you. Working on the North Slop as an expediter was a kick until one day I left Deadhorse Airport and a wind storm blew in.

I left the airport driving a F250 Ford towing the first gooseneck I had ever seen. The weather really wasn’t that bad when I headed out, there wasn’t enough wind to wright home about. However, the temperature was poking the -45 F mark before the wind picked up and started tossing the snow about. The road was lined on each side with red reflectors about every forty feet, being one side was staggered you could see a reflector every twenty feet on one side of the road or the other.

I drove down the road about a mile or so headed to Service City. The wind had gotten so bad I could barely see the road; it was about that time when my dad came over the FM two-way radio. I thought “Wait? What? He should be working.” To my surprise he called again. I answered, wanting to know what was up. The airport had called my boss and had shut down the whole North Slop and somehow I had slipped through. They had told my boss that the airport had me on ground radar and wanted me to turn off and stay at PB. My boss had went and got my dad so he could tell me the bad news.

The wind bellowed harder and harder, the storm was gaining strength! When my dad came on the radio he told me about another dimmer switch on the floor, that switch was for the mike so when I wanted to talk all I had to do was press the floor button. The floor button was so I did not have to take my hands off the wheel or my eyes off the road. It started to white out the only thing left to see were the reflectors.

On to the final plane.

My wife can not travel down a jet way with stopping and discussing how MY son, when 3 years old, started driving the jet way. Panic from the 60 people as the jet way leaves the plane during boarding. We are famous

That's my boy! He can drive a tractor to,

Dan, interesting stuff, fun to read about in my cozy armchair. Keep em coming plz!

Sunrise: 10:13 am Sunset: 3:41 pm

Palmer

We start gaining daylight tomorrow. That will be goid

This time or year always bums me out .....wake up in the dark and fairly dull day and seams like one hour later.............................DARK again. :blink:

I like this thread on AK. My wife's younger cousin went up to work on the pipe line in the 70's and stayed. Lives just outside of the capitol ,100 plus miles , married local woman and raised 4 boys. We here have deer trouble . They have moose trouble. After hearing about moose................I'll keep the deer!

Well the trip to chase a sun tan is going well. We have lost the pastey white color for a light pink. An Alaskan on the beach is kinda tuff on the eyes for the first few days.

Anyways, today we went to Pearl Harbor and took the tour to the Arizona. With the exception of the ferry catching on fire and us drifting dead in the harbor for 40 minutes it was something I recommend for everyone.

Afterward we went aboard a WWII submarine, my boys were having a ball. They let them sit in the seats of the artillery and anti-aircraft guns, they turned valves and threw switches. Really amazing machine, totally mechanical firing computer (gears and pullies and oh my) 4 Diesel engines driving generators. Thinking of those men sailing in harms way.... And then the places along the shore, one monument for each boat that remains on endless patrol. The pacific subs suffered 19% losses.

Tomorrow if I get a chance I will tell you of our shark cage dive. Spoiler alert, I can still count to 10, and 20

So you had that Alaskan tan which turns from that Fish Belly White to kind of pink to a deep lobster red.

When I get there one day I'm going Pearl Harbor. I've heard so much about it, Remind me to tell ya about Ol Bill Parks, he was there when they attacked Pearl Harbor, he had a lot of good stories.

We are finally getting some snow but only about two er three inches. And we gained 6 seconds of light over yesterday. I was wondering what I was going to do with all of that extra daylight... the boy came by today and that shot all the extra time I had.