AKwelder

Life in Alaska

I got caught this week. My wife thought all the packages that have been arriving were Christmas gifts. She really gave me some stink eye when they turned out to be tractor parts😊

I

I got caught this week. My wife thought all the packages that have been arriving were Christmas gifts. She really gave me some stink eye when they turned out to be tractor parts

I

Same thing here. I have ordered 5 seats in 2 months and a new exhaust for the 7140. Cab post interior pieces, window seals and some other misc things. Milk price is good so better get everything lined up before it aint!

Tell her how the "New" seats make you back feel better.

Tell her how the "New" seats make you back feel better.

Careful with that one. It might bring on expectations for certain performance that you may or may not be up to. :wub: :wub: :rolleyes:

NICE looking Bou (caribou), AKwelder, I hope you don't mind if I snag a copy of it. They usually run in herds, where's his harem? Back in the 60's I went hunting with my Dad, we were hunting behind Eureka on the backside Monument Mountain. We crested one peak and looked up to the next and it looked as if the mountain side was flowing like brown water there were so many Bou. You had to focus to see the motion was caused by caribou.

I got caught this week. My wife thought all the packages that have been arriving were Christmas gifts. She really gave me some stink eye when they turned out to be tractor parts

I

I had a big belly laugh off this one.. HA HA HA

I was feeling like it yesterday. But no we are quite a ways south of the circle. . We are seeing a 10;30 sunrise and a 2:55 sunset.

You need to be carful or you won't see the sun until you day off

The had a guy lose control of a B-70 and jack knife it with a load. Ended up wadded up in the ditch. I will see if I can find a picture.

I did my time in the B-70's cell, I say it that way because they were kidney killing and arthritis giving Mothers!. The B-70 is one rig I can truly say "I Hate"; they would literally shake your bones so bad they were known for a cause of arthritis, referred to, by some drivers/operators, as the "B-70 Shakes"

My Dad told me a story of an ol boy Tennessee Miller, I want to say was bought out by Nabors, Anyway the story goes, he knew where the military buried a fleet of B-70's he went and dug them up. It was said for each B-70 Tennessee had, he had two others with the same S/N numbers. Him and the old man were drinking buddies down at the VFW.

That's how the hull road was made; a lot of time spent in a seat, not the seat in a reclaimed B-70 or from the seat of an International corn-binder w/671 nor from the Senate seat that signed the bills. I'm talking about bar stools at local VFW's through out the State. A lot of deals had to be made before 'things' were put into place. :blink: "Per-Pipeline Logistical Networking." B)

In Fairbanks to this day you may be in a diner or bar next to an ole boy wearing overalls, and he probably has enough money in his pocket to pay your morgage. They still deal with a handshake. They truely are a dying breed.

Tennessee Miller had Frontier Equipment Co. and several others. He ran the first Cat train to Prudhoe Bay. Support efforts to drill the discovery well, built some of the haul road, was the biggest spread in the oilfields during the early years. And if asked by anyone who work for him was one ornery boss. He was rumored to show up on s job site, see it wasn't getting done, and fire the whole crew, including the office staff. It got done or there was he!! To pay. I thought everything got broke up after his death. Cold Weather Contractors carried on some. Frontier Air was sold off, and so on.

Today I went out and started looking over the lights on the 460. Seems that a field tractor in the land of the midnight sun didn't need lights, go figure.

The rear combo light is busted and the fuse and fuse cover is missing. After a little work I found that this is all that is wrong with the lights.

So into the Internet and Messicks still has the fuse holder available. But they don't show the light as being red backed. So I found that on another site. With any luck the worlds farthest north 460 should be running with lights next snow fall😊

Been enjoying the Alaskan thread-----------never been off up that way, but if I was up to taking on a big trip--------Alaska would be first on my list.

Back in the '80s--------I had some land dealings with a couple of wild and wooly brothers who had been in Alaska since 1954. The family still owned farmland here in the Delta----------they eventually sold it. Heard alot of interesting stories from their early days in Alaska-----------their first day in Alaska started off interesting and seemed like interesting times followed. ;)

The first day in 1954: four ol' country boys from Mississippi arrived in Anchorage in a 1951 Plymouth------thought they had jobs lined up in Anchorage; but found out the jobs were actually in Fairbanks. Broke, cold, and tired from the trip and needing a paycheck day before yesterday------------they headed right on out for Fairbanks in the Plymouth. It wasn't far outside of Anchorage----------that they (along with the Plymouth) were introduced to "black ice"; at that point the Plymouth started spinning lazily down a steep hill-----rotating front to rear, but staying on the road all the while moving down hill. All of a sudden--------they felt the rear of the Plymouth bump somthing and they came to a sudden halt----------but no injuries. They got out to see what they had hit-------------turned out to be one of only two Alaskan highway troopers working across the entire territory!!!!! :wacko::unsure::huh:

No injuries---------no sigificant damage----------and the trooper had stopped way early and watched them slowly come down the hill end after end; but could not get out of the way. Trooper laughed it off------and sent them on their way Fairbanks. Invariably--------for years; they would run into the trooper (who always remembered their faces) and he always got a big laugh out of the country boys from Mississippi learning to drive on "black ice". :P

One of the brothers gave me this Trans Alaskan Pipeline souvineer---------made out of scrap pipe by a welder that worked on the original pipeline (don't know his name-------but I always thought it was unique). Thought this thread would be an appropriate place to show it off------------been sittlng in the window at my shop office for years. Looks like I need to brush it up and maybe apply some clearcoat to it-----------I didn't realize that it was beginning to rust.

post-1200-0-98208700-1418004029_thumb.jp

Keep us posted on the happenings from Alaska---------always interesting.

Delta Dirt

Avon, Ms 38723

I went out yesterday (AKA last night) and pulled the Inj. pump on the ol Adams due to seepage. I finally found the Stamp and casting numbers on the engine. I'll go take a picture of them in a minute, but the engine is stamped UDCBM 73?? with casting numbers of 11.28L (1944). The chassis' Numbers are in a 46 Adams TD-9 70-B, TDCBM 3828-T.. Alaska - where there is always a rule to the exception. Maybe someone swapped engines at some point?

post-114211-0-44300100-1418012876_thumb.

Those Alaska maps from the pipeline are a big deal. When I was working in the welding shop they would come out and get us to make a map. Takes one guy a week done up and blued

I got a couple chunks of mainline in the garage to make maps, one day when I have nothing to do.

That is a nice one, dated and everything. Just put some light oil on it and rub it in and leave the patina.

I had a couple of the bad weld cutouts from 77. But my uncle sold them for pennies.

Well today i got the boys sleds running and out we went.

post-46036-0-77938700-1418013876_thumb.j

doing laps

post-46036-0-62728200-1418013887_thumb.j

and more laps

post-46036-0-29556100-1418013997_thumb.j

the two racers

Its kind of ironic, my youngest is the crazy one and my oldest is much more serious and cautious. When these sleds came home i was certain that the youngest was going to be nuts, crash bang boom.

So i get them on the sleds and next thing I know my eldest is riding it like its stolen! Mild mannered Dr. Jeykle becomes Mr. Hyde. he gets behind the wheel and off he goes full throttle. My youngest is getting better but was pretty timid behind the wheel. Total reversal of what i thought

So we come home and start putting away groceries, yesterday we had my eldest's birthday party and my wife had baked a cake. Of course she went overboard and had been frosting and baking for two days. So after a little bit we notice the wife's dog is sick

post-46036-0-08941300-1418014457_thumb.j

Apparently this is the face of someone who ate 3 pounds of cake. She was not feeling to well. Please rub her belly?

Is that one of them there Pit Bulls - just in disguise? Ha Ha.... Poor thing it looks like she is saying "Let me out I want to hurl."

I felt the same way Post-Turkey Day.

Oh she had already hurled. She is a mutt, and a pretty good dog

Tennessee Miller had Frontier Equipment Co. and several others. He ran the first Cat train to Prudhoe Bay. Support efforts to drill the discovery well, built some of the haul road, was the biggest spread in the oilfields during the early years. And if asked by anyone who work for him was one ornery boss. He was rumored to show up on s job site, see it wasn't getting done, and fire the whole crew, including the office staff. It got done or there was he!! To pay. I thought everything got broke up after his death. Cold Weather Contractors carried on some. Frontier Air was sold off, and so on.

That's it Frontier!! Nabors was on the corner of the hull road and spine rd. on the Jafco side and Frontier was over on the BP side. I worked for General Contractors out of Service City camp. I was a tire man for Coldwearthe for awhile too. My dad was on one the first trains up there; on that trip he said he saw a dozer hand pull a bottle of bourbon from the tool box take a swig and died on the spot. It was -20*F and it froze his throat - instantly.

You 2 need a reality show like the other 60% of alaskans

Right. You first Troy.

I know one of the guys who was on ice road truckers. I enjoyed calling him on Monday.

" HEY buddy, I just can't wait until next Sunday. DO YOU LIVE?"

I spend more time on the haul road and out in Alaska then most of those idiots. Let me tell you all a secret. 70% of the ice road is paved, or chip sealed

I spend more time on the haul road and out in Alaska then most of those idiots. Let me tell you all a secret. 70% of the ice road is paved, or chip sealed

LOL...I know I have heard similar stats. I dont think they film that there anymore. I never got that version of the show. So your driving on a State maintained highway for 400 +/- miles that is marked and plowed constantly. Sounds real dangerous.... Now the bush roads and Lake roads that looks insane. I have noticed I think there is 5 Alaska shows.

Alaskan Bush People

Flying Wild Alaska

Palin's Alaska [it was 1 year special IIRC]

Edge of Alaska [McCarthy AK]

Surviving Alaska

Alaska: The last frontier [you know the remote family 10 miles from town.]

Deadliest Catch [cant figure out why I still watch 75% of them but I do]

Ax Man always has a AK crew

Gold Rush [in the Klondike now I guess...idiots..with TV $ now]

Buying Alaska

Ultimate Survival Alaska

Alaska Off road Challenge

Bearing Sea Gold

Yukon Men

Alaska State Troopers

Life below Zero

Alaska Railroad men

Holy crap....I Wiki searched and got a few more apparently! Welder and Dan coming next season to "Shut up and Work in Alaska".

Right. You first Troy.

I know one of the guys who was on ice road truckers. I enjoyed calling him on Monday.

" HEY buddy, I just can't wait until next Sunday. DO YOU LIVE?"

Ha Ha Ha, man, you know how to build suspense. :D

Aw man you mean that stuffs not real?? Blows my whole image of TV now. Thanks......

I was gonna paint my old charger orange and go jump some creek beds next summer. Better rethink that too i suppose...

Love this thread. Keep them pics coming please!!

Most of the Alaskans just hate the reality shows. One of the participants (I will not call them actors) admitted in an interview that they impose drama and issues. He was off the show imediatly