AKwelder

Life in Alaska

My fil amd mil took a rental car up the AlCan this summer. The. Took the ferry back to Bellingham here. Said it sucked. Its a ferry...just moving stuff no nicity. Dad and mom took a Norwegian cruise to AK and flew back. Best trip / cruise they ever took the swear.

We see a lot of tourists and I end up talking to some here and there. From what I hear driving up the Alcan with an RV and not being rushed is the best. It's just the fact most people can not afford to do so.

Other option is to rent an RV and fly into the state. I have no idea what thAt costs but I can see that it would be my preferred choice.

A lot of people come thru with cruise ship tours, and I have worked around this and dated gals that were part of it. People have a lot of fun, you see a series of events. And they hook it to a ship. The one I remember came up from WA and dropped them off in Skagway. They were bused all through the state, took a river boat trip in Fairbanks. Wildlife tour at Denali, train ride south, and then a couple other stops. Then back on a ship and home.

I am glad people come and have fun, but you can't hit the high spots here in an entire summer.

The National Weather Service has issued a severe storm warning here, came out Sunday night. 6-12 inches of snow. We have a grand total is 1/4 inch so far, and they keep saying "here it comes!"

Wish I had a job that if I was correct 1/3 of the time they would be happy

The National Weather Service has issued a severe storm warning here, came out Sunday night. 6-12 inches of snow. We have a grand total is 1/4 inch so far, and they keep saying "here it comes!"

Congress????

Congress????

You got me there

I don't know how you can say Congress is right 1/3 of the time. Remember that their 'job' is to pass laws, needed or not, and they CERTAINLY DO NOT listen to WE, THE PEOPLE for their input..

I would take a WAG and say that they are 'right' about 1 percent of the time in actually doing something that benefits the working class.

IF one, or six of these worthless brassturds would fail to come back, after one of their 'recesses', thru the use of 'friendly persuasion, maybe, the others would remember just who they work for.

I don't know how you can say Congress is right 1/3 of the time. Remember that their 'job' is to pass laws, needed or not, and they CERTAINLY DO NOT listen to WE, THE PEOPLE for their input..

I would take a WAG and say that they are 'right' about 1 percent of the time in actually doing something that benefits the working class.

IF one, or six of these worthless brassturds would fail to come back, after one of their 'recesses', for whatever reason, maybe, the others would remember just who they work for.

You deffinitley got me there. 1% of the time might be a bit of a stretch also ...... I like the idea of some not showing back up.... definitely very few deserve to be able to serve us as most would fail a quiz on the constitution

I need to figure out how to post pictures from my iPhone on the mobile version.

Plowed snow tonight with the 460, it was kind of like cutting butter with a chainsaw. So I used my lil kubota that has a rear blade. Nieghbor is away at work so I took the kubota down to help her out. She has a new baby and they are good folk. Got sucked into the ditch. Went and got my wife and the truck. No go. Fired the 460 up, it drug the kubota right out.

At diner I reflected that I was happy with how it popped right out, with sheepish look my wife says it most likely would have been better if she hadn't had it in reverse. 😳.

Congress????

It is a Murder of Crows and a Congress of Ravens ..... Says something about the root word for Congress

New AK pic

post-114211-0-03022800-1417626927_thumb.

Hatcher Pass in the background.

What do you do there AKw?

The 460 on its way home this fall

I see that is a 460 gasoline! if it was a diesel you may have to take it in the house with you as I have heard the 460 diesels start harder than the worlds hardest starting diesel the 560

The 560 diesel I had years ago started reasonably well. The 460 diesel I also had was virtually impossible to start without the block heater on for 3 hours even at 40 F. Even the B414 diesel I once owned 40 years ago started comparable to a 560.

What do you do there AKw?

Pipefitter. I work for the company that has the maintenance contract on the Trans Alaska Pipeline.

The 460 on its way home this fall

I see that is a 460 gasoline! if it was a diesel you may have to take it in the house with you as I have heard the 460 diesels start harder than the worlds hardest starting diesel the 560

My father had spent time on a 460 diesel growing up in MN and warned me about the starting. luck had it that this one was a gas. I would be very surprised if there are two more in the state. But you never know

picture of the 460 in the snow

post-46036-0-06125400-1417668117_thumb.j

funny, the picture seemed much better in the dark with snow falling, who knew

I plow the 740 ft driveway, I have just run it up n down the drive a few times so far, It has a lot of little things that need to be done before I can take it off the property. Things like, I need a grease impact tool to clean out the dried old zerks n gullies. Some bushings need replaced and shifting linkage needs attention, stuff like that there.

AKwelder that looks great... That's how it was the other night. I had to go get a friend in Trappers Creek that broke his leg. I started out at 6:30pm from the house and the snow was flying blizzard style. The only things on the road past Willow were tractors with singles or doubles. That's one thing I don't miss - driving trucks. At least I knew the only drivers on the road were professionals so I made good time. But when a set of doubles passed it was white out.

AKwelder What size is that bucket on your 460?

It's only a 7ft wide, I have no idea of the yardage.

The white out from a tractor trailer in new snow is a force to be reconded with. I drive the haul road on occasion and it is really touchy up there

I cut my eye teeth on the old hull road back in 75. I remember the Ice Cut on the other side of Pump Station 3 and this side of Happy Valley. That separated the men from the boys. They would only allow one rig on the Cut at a time. There was a D9K at the 3/4 mark and another one about half way up, the one at the 3/4 mark set just before the turn and followed everybody to the top. I had the best job I was a relief driver, when a guy would go on R&R I would take their job for two weeks... I got to drive just about everything. I worked all but 90 miles of the Pipeline.

One day I saw a loaded R50 slip on a rock and lost traction about 2/3's the way up the Ice Cut to the top D9; the R50 started going backwards and rocks were falling off the back. The driver couldn't gain control back so in a last ditched effort the driver cut hard and highsided the rig turning it over on it side before it went over a 900 foot abyss. Both 9's were clipping in 'High' toward the R50 as soon as it slipped. The driver darted from the cab and dove to the ground while the truck was still inching ever closer to the abyss. The rig nearly came to a stop when the shoulder of the road gave way and the R50 began to sluff with the road material. Descending slow at first the truck looked like a toy falling off a sand pile - it was so surreal. But reality set in when it rolled the first time and began to disintegrate as it picked up speed. The driver like myself was hypnotized and remained motionless until the wreckage came to a stand still.

Signs a lot of people don't get to see and we take for granted ..

post-114211-0-58595200-1417777961_thumb.

post-114211-0-81423700-1417777960_thumb.

post-114211-0-84122900-1417777892_thumb.

post-114211-0-60073700-1417778036_thumb.

How much day light you guys have now?

We have 5hrs and 46 min Sunrise at 9:53 am and Sunset at 3:46 pm. But you guys are farther North than we are. Isn't Fairbanks is just above the Arctic Circle??

I was feeling like it yesterday. But no we are quite a ways south of the circle. . We are seeing a 10;30 sunrise and a 2:55 sunset.

You need to be carful or you won't see the sun until you day off

The had a guy lose control of a B-70 and jack knife it with a load. Ended up wadded up in the ditch. I will see if I can find a picture.

Well today i had to run up and back on the Elliot Hwy. Coming back south at 11:30 after recent snow i got some nice views

post-46036-0-23383100-1417850381_thumb.j

Always nice when the temp is around zero and not much wind. Its been a really nice start to winter, above zero.

Tonight i drug the kids sleds in, after our 6 inch snow they are all revved up and ready to go! But we got the oldest's Birthday party tomorrow so it will be in the dark. Guess that is why they have head lights. Tomorrow morning i will be changing oil and cleaning carbs. The wife will get woken up by the smell of Brakeen so another reminder that i need a shop!

And a picture for all you deer hunters, how big a rack did you get?

post-46036-0-03068900-1417851452_thumb.j

This guy was running last spring, just past the "Hunting by Drawing Only" sign. go figure

And a picture for all you deer hunters, how big a rack did you get?

bou.jpg

This guy was running last spring, just past the "Hunting by Drawing Only" sign. go figure

Thought maybe Santa was down one....