Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

806 man

Best hopper bottom trailer

Who is making the best hopper bottom trailers these days and why checking out a 50' 3 axle unit?

I hauled a wheaties box professionally for a few years. Wilson is the best IMO. Everything just seems put together right. Timpte is good also. Lots of them around as they are well made also but a tad cheaper. Jet is popular among the farmers as they too are well built and price right.

I like my Wilson. Timpte is good too. Jets are rust buckets around here. All are too expensive for what you are getting.

jerry

Wilson. Brand choice should also consider how good of a dealer you've got to work with. Rollie

I like my Wilson. Timpte is good too. Jets are rust buckets around here. All are too expensive for what you are getting.

jerry

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Chris

wilson by far is the best have used them for years and no trouble

Timpte is the most popular in this area followed by Wilson. We have two Timptes, a '08 & a '14, both bought new, and haven't had any issues with either one. When we bought the '08 we priced Wilson as well, Went with the Timpte because it was in stock & would have had to order the Wilson, price wise there was very little difference.

Ti

jerry

Timpte/Wilson is kind of like Ford/Chevy, they both make a good product that does the same job and pretty much comes down to personal preference, or maybe availability and dealer support. Kinda disagree about too expensive for what you are getting, though. Hopper bottom trailers are a bargain vs. a pair of new 500-600 bushel gravity wagons.

Thanks for the response, Checking out the web Timpte & Wilson seem to have their fair share of the trailer market when compared to all the rest they must be MFGing good units.

Timpte and Wilson's are both the best hoppers made. We run 5 Wilson pace setters. Cannot beat the ease of cranking open the roller belt trap hopper on a Wilson.

Timpte and Wilson's are both the best hoppers made. We run 5 Wilson pace setters. Cannot beat the ease of cranking open the roller belt trap hopper on a Wilson.

They open real easy on my Merritt, just hold the electric switch and watch the hydraulic motor open the trap!

Is anyone using a powered roll over tarp?

I have a GSI trailer, all steel and heavy as heck...but it works well and was way easier to afford than either a Tempte or Wilson. They are made here in KS. Doors work super easy and simple. Would have loved to have had a Tempte but the GSI was cheap and in stock on the lot.

Ti

jerry

Timpte/Wilson is kind of like Ford/Chevy, they both make a good product that does the same job and pretty much comes down to personal preference, or maybe availability and dealer support. Kinda disagree about too expensive for what you are getting, though. Hopper bottom trailers are a bargain vs. a pair of new 500-600 bushel gravity wagons.

Agree on the gravity wagons. Around here there is only 1 farmer for miles that uses wagons any more and he live across the road from the elevator and his are the 250 bu models. He always makes fun of the guys with semis because he don't have to spend $1000 per year per wagon on license plates.

jerry

When they first came out every commercial hauler here tried them. It is very windy all the time here in SD. The wind would flip the whole tarp over the wrong way and a guy had a mess. Most went back to the hand crank tarps. The electric have changed a lot because now everybody seems to have gone back too them. I used a newer Wilson this fall with an electric tarp and the wind didn't seem to bother it.

Been pulling two Mauers and the Jet the last couple years. The Mauer trailers open real easy and I like the fold down ladders on the back.

4 years ago I bought a 53' trinity belt trailer which has the electric tarp. I haven't had any problems with the electric drive assembly it doesn't have the arm bolted to the back to help assist the back end because of the backend swing door I have needed to replace the bungee on the back end that helps pull across it a couple of times.

Mine is so old it doesn't even count anymore in a poll such as this. I am not a farmer, but a local grain hauler that makes several trips a day past the Wilson factory and headquarters at Sioux City. I have a 1984 Wilson that will be put out of commission by corrosion some day as aluminum trailers do. I put a Shur-Lok electric tarp on it some years ago as my old shoulders were just not up to the task of cranking tarps anymore. Especially when extremely cold. If I ever get to the point of replacing either, I will go Wilson with an electric shur-loc tarp, but at 71, I doubt I will replace anything except wear items. :)

Ron

Sitting in line waiting to unload corn with my( starting to show rust ) 15 year old jet trailer. I have the time to check out all the new stuff that shows up.The Dakota brand seams to stand out as the newest in the area as a must have by the BT'Os. I'm going to trade trailers soon and this post is helping with what brand to look at. Maybe a damned old jet again? :mellow:

Sitting in line waiting to unload corn with my( starting to show rust ) 15 year old jet trailer. I have the time to check out all the new stuff that shows up.The Dakota brand seams to stand out as the newest in the area as a must have by the BT'Os. I'm going to trade trailers soon and this post is helping with what brand to look at. Maybe a damned old jet again? :mellow:

How is the Cornhusker trailer?

Lots of corn huskers here being pulled double, very very few singles. Not sure why. The doubles are set up with triples all the way around including the truck.

Anybody ever use an Integrity trailer, I've seen them online and they look pretty well built

We run a Stoughten (sp?) Been a great trailer, really light and cost quite a bit less than a Wilson or Timpte. Your paying a lot for the name with those two brands in my opinion. No electric tarp but I see more and more every year at the elevator. Wouldn't mind having one as they don't seem to have problems with the wind like the hand crank tarps.