Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

combinedmf

656 throttle response problem

I just finished an overhaul of my Farmall 656 gas. It runs great, but the throttle response is stiff and jerky. No matter how smoothly you move the throttle lever, it jumps from 1200 rpms to nearly full throttle. Below this range it is relatively smooth. I drove it on the road and when I slowed down to turn into the drive the governor suddenly caught, surging about 300 rpms and jerking the tractor. What needs addressed to fix this problem? Thanks in advance. -John

Could possibly be binding somewhere in the linkage

I haven't completely ruled out the linkage, but the jerky governor response makes me think there is more to it. Allan, I have never heard of that, so no, I did not. Please explain. Thanks. -John

Governor needs rebuilt. Possibly weak spring.

jerry

I haven't completely ruled out the linkage, but the jerky governor response makes me think there is more to it. Allan, I have never heard of that, so no, I did not. Please explain. Thanks. -John

Any time you unhook the carb/governor/linkage, you have to get the governor and carb back on the same page. You control the governor and it in turn, controls the carburetor.

Do you have an IT manual? It's a bit of a process, but it's got to be done.

Allan

I think Allen is on the right page of your problem. With out a book, here is a quick summary of carb to governor linkage. Take the pin at clevis at front end of carb link out. Pull throttle lever on dash to full throttle position. Now, adjust that unhooked linkage so with linkage holding carburetor butter fully open, the pin just slide in. Then shorten it one turn so that every time the governor push's that carb open it does not slam the throttle shaft of carb against the stop pin. You cannot have any binding of that linkage.

Also, often times the arm on the governor gets rusted so I always take them apart where it pivots and clean and lube it up good. If it does not run correct rpms within the range of governor arm movement to the stop bolt, you have other governor problems.

You never know what you find in these old tractors. I did a lot of major repairs on a 656 about three years ago and when I got it up and running, it would turn over at about 2400 rpm's. Investigation found someone had replace governor with one off a 706 which has smaller weights for the higher rpms. Now, if that had been reversed and 656 governor in a 706 the rpm's would have been way too slow. They both use the same part number governor spring. Adjusting the surge control spring comes after you get throttle response corrected.