Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ole three bottom

Hear ye, Hear Ye!!!! Chapter #7 Announces it's annual fall tillage day!!!

Pat

Thanks again for the pictures

David

Pat,

Great pictures! Great tractors, Great scenery.

I wish I could attend your picture taking 101 class :D

Thanks for your efforts,

Tony

that is a beauty of a super M but is the grill not correct on that tractor or is it just me?

Good afternoon guys. We are back on line out at the home place. I held off on making my post till I had my service back.

Tony If you were to dig up the tillage day post of 10 years ago and look at the photos and compare them to the ones I post today you will see that it is a learning process. It's been a long time since I had an International Harvester Buyers Guide in my hands but I recall the photos that they used in them, Copying those photos is what I try to achieve.

I believe the grill on the Super M is correct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think thew changes in the grill came about with the Super MTA. Note the IH badge on the front of the grill. That is the first phase of the grill changes for the Supers. Next was the adding of the filled in squaresin the grills , the last phase was the holes in the squares for the cultivator mounts. Knowing Charlie, Mike and Brad Craft and their restorations. If it wasn't correct, it wouldn't go on the tractor. So How about some photos...

100_2530_zps0ba70313.jpg

These two had a blast all day on their Farmall B. Pulling a two bottom Little Genius they were running a little slower then the pack. But they had enough weight that they didn't hurt for traction.

100_2531_zpsc4c37777.jpg

100_2532_zps40a0317c.jpg

I noticed when they came across the end of the field that the plow is equipped with Lantz colters. The disk colter is removes and they are only using the straight colter. But the colter yoke in this photo sure says Lantz to me.

100_2534_zps8089fd33.jpg

Pulling a 2 bottom plow with a B. Strong little bugger. It does look like they have modified Lantz colter on there. Personally I hate lantz colters. They pull hard and dont really work that well in my opinion. I like the stock fluted ones better.

Chris

Chris, I've never had the opportunity to run Lantz colters so I have no idea how they pull. But I know someone who will not run a plow without them. If he happens to see some on the parts and junk wagon at an auction he will bring them home with him. The first thing he will do is take them completely apart and clean out the packed grease and dirt that it preventing the colters from turning freely. Bearings are changed out or repacked if they are still good. Then the best straight colter and disk colter he has in his inventory are installed. Alot of the ones found the colter blades are so eaten up that they just can't work properly. No doubt the disk colters on the two bottom Little Genius plow in yesterdays post were to far gone to be of any use. So they owner just removed the disk colter and ran the straight colter alone. You can actually see where the disk colter bolts onto the yoke.

100_2526_zps2a3472f5.jpg

I already posted this photo of the H and plows on the trailer a couple days ago. But I want to go back to it to start the morning. On the front of the trailer is a very nice #8 Little Genius. Hitched to the H is a very good example of a #4 Little Wonder.

100_2536_zpsd27f39d9.jpg

With his Little Wonder this operator was able to back the tractor and plow off the trailer and head to the furrow. Not to many people are capable of backing a Little Genius on or off a trailer. Even with the tail wheel locked down straight it can be a real pain to get them to go where you want them to go when wanting to back them up. That probably explains why some folks preached, NEVER back a plow.

100_2543_zps64f4e916.jpg

100_2560_zpsb01dbfbd.jpg

100_2537_zps022e984f.jpg

100_2544_zps5e0b75c3.jpg

100_2569_zps2ae380f0.jpg

Ok, quiz time.. Study the last two photos I've posted and see if you can see anything wrong in them. Let me know what you see. Then give us the solutions to the problem.

That plow isnt set up to the tractor at all. It should be moved over to the right a lot more so the wheel lines up with the rear wheel of the tractor. Have to mess with the hitch because you need to have the center line of draft in the middle of the tractor. Cant just move it over a few holes in the drawbar.

Chris

Chris, Looking from the rear photo, how can the draft of the plow be moved to the right and be more centered!!!!

i wanna know where he got the steel belt pulley

Chris, Looking from the rear photo, how can the draft of the plow be moved to the right and be more centered!!!!

What Chris is saying here is adjusting the hitch and moving the plow to the right to get the plow CENTER LINE OF DRAFT correct. It has ZERO to do with centering the plow behind the tractor.

post-61304-0-52305900-1411690435_thumb.j

i wanna know where he got the steel belt pulley

My dad has one for his H. Says it gets in the way so he took it off. We put a heat houser on it every winter so it makes sense. It sits on the shelf but we would never get rid of it. Some day it will go back on.

On the center of draft. Exactly.

Chris

we have a steel pulley on the Allis but the one for my M is a paper pulley and its not in the greatest of shape.

Well it was good to see a little discussion come out of the quiz. I was hoping a few of the true plow gurus would add some input. Seeing how that didn't happen I uploaded a page from the "2 and 3 bottom No.8 Genius Tractor Plow Owners Manual" And three pages from the IH publication "Tractor Plowing at Its Best". Going by what is in print I am going to assume that the hitch is set correctly on the plow and that hitching the plow 2" to 6" right of center of the tractor would get the plow back in the furrow like it is suppose to be.

Scan0148_zps70050349.jpg

Scan0150_zps960b2464.jpg

Scan0149_zpsd4414709.jpg

Scan0151_zps1f0bf4eb.jpg

Ok, Lets look at some plowing action.

100_2578_zpse5a5db90.jpg

This M has the Tractor Mac look with the after market headlights mounted up near the grill..

100_2580_zpsb6592a53-1-1.jpg

100_2579_zps78eda587.jpg

Chris, I've never had the opportunity to run Lantz colters so I have no idea how they pull. But I know someone who will not run a plow without them. If he happens to see some on the parts and junk wagon at an auction he will bring them home with him. The first thing he will do is take them completely apart and clean out the packed grease and dirt that it preventing the colters from turning freely. Bearings are changed out or repacked if they are still good. Then the best straight colter and disk colter he has in his inventory are installed. Alot of the ones found the colter blades are so eaten up that they just can't work properly. No doubt the disk colters on the two bottom Little Genius plow in yesterdays post were to far gone to be of any use. So they owner just removed the disk colter and ran the straight colter alone. You can actually see where the disk colter bolts onto the yoke.

100_2526_zps2a3472f5.jpg

I already posted this photo of the H and plows on the trailer a couple days ago. But I want to go back to it to start the morning. On the front of the trailer is a very nice #8 Little Genius. Hitched to the H is a very good example of a #4 Little Wonder.

100_2536_zpsd27f39d9.jpg

With his Little Wonder this operator was able to back the tractor and plow off the trailer and head to the furrow. Not to many people are capable of backing a Little Genius on or off a trailer. Even with the tail wheel locked down straight it can be a real pain to get them to go where you want them to go when wanting to back them up. That probably explains why some folks preached, NEVER back a plow.

100_2543_zps64f4e916.jpg

100_2560_zpsb01dbfbd.jpg

100_2537_zps022e984f.jpg

100_2544_zps5e0b75c3.jpg

100_2569_zps2ae380f0.jpg

Ok, quiz time.. Study the last two photos I've posted and see if you can see anything wrong in them. Let me know what you see. Then give us the solutions to the problem.

Where do I start? The third from the last picture, look at the hitch. The hitch is trying to pull the plow out of the ground at this angle.

Second from the last picture. Plow tire not in the furrow. Plow not running level and not leaving a clean furrow.

Now how to solve some of what I have seen. Always start with the tractor .

I would get the tractor tires in more. Set the tires to the plow your going to pull. This will make the tractor and plow work as one and not fight with each other.

Raise the hitch on the plow some, it's getting close to the ground anyway.

Leveling the hitch to the line of draft and getting the plow wheel in the furrow might get the plow off that nose diving look, it's running that way so it will go in the ground.

Adjusting the coulter will make clean furrow, if the plow is running straight.

All that being said you dont have to move the wheels of the tractor in. You can and it will deff. help but its not a must. My dad has his set way far out on his h. (there is probably 6 inches of axle between the housing and the wheel) We have his plow set up to his h and it does a mighty fine job of plowing.

Chris

Chris, Thanks for making that point. I was temped to elaborate yesterday. But decided to just post the data and let it be there for everyone to digest.

A few points that I think need to be considered are as followed. In order to achieve a 40" to 54" center to center setting of the rears on a Farmall H or M you will have to turn the concave of the rear wheels in. You just can't get it that tight with the concave turned out. Next most H' and M's were initially set to cultivate 36" or 38" rows. For 36" rows the tractor would have had a center to center of the rears of 72", for 38 inch rows the center to center would be 76". I am willing to bet that most of the operators would have been more willing to set the plow to the right 2" to 6" to the right on the draw bar rather then moving the rear wheels. Back in that era I don't thin hardly anybody moved the rears unless the absolutely had to,

Well guys I have probably enough photos from the furrow from last year to last a couple more days before moving on to another year. So for the weekend installment lets take a look around at the eye candy that Richard had on display last year. Let me tell you when you have a collection of Red Iron like Richards to admire you are very reluctant to go to the field. Honestly it would be satisfying just to walk around all day and admire the detail Richard goes to on his restorations.

100_2465_zps8bdc23ab.jpg

Richard was hoping to have the triple 6 done for display at his tillage day he was close but didn't quite make it. Still the tractor is impressive.

100_2476_zps63e25f6a.jpg

100_2477_zps02f29896.jpg

It would be fun to have Wilson's and Richard's 560 demos on display together some time.

100_2473_zps0db46332.jpg

100_2475_zpsac49f49c.jpg

100_2488_zpsbbbdc4f7.jpg

Just how many 560's do you own Richard???

One thing you learn real quick about Richard is he likes to do the extra detail. Tool boxes, front slab weights, suite case weights, frame weights, front wheel weights. Cultivator mount brackets on the nose of the 560. Some times he'll come up with big rubber, and I swear he has scarfed onto every belly fuel tank known to be laying around at the moment. If another one shakes out of the bushes I'm sure Richard will investigate it. You are likely to see a few extra circles of rear weight and even hubs for duals. Even if these tractors are Show Queens they are dressed out as Queens of the Field.

Mark, I got a text message from BZ last evening. He had been out checking out his M&W boosted 560 and the 412 combination. The 560 is turning 72 hp off the pto, that is one healthy 560.. BZ said he plowed in 2nd with the TA forward for quite a while. Then he went to 3rd TA forward and even plowed in 4th with the TA back. Like I said that is one healthy 560. So next thing i know he sends me some photos off of his phone.

0a9e889d-937a-4fbc-91ba-167b8f57e2da_zps

Making a little coal!!! B)

IMG_1102_zpsf1f5b8ed.jpg

IMG_1100_zps1d9aae1c.jpg

IMG_1016_zps5116167e.jpg

BZ included this photo. Said they built the wagon in 5 days. My guess is that eventually his local club will make use of it but I wonder if BZ intends to have it at Bob DeVault's to give spectators a ride out into the field. Now that Mark has drooled all over his key board, I'll finish up this morning's post with a few more photos from RW's collection.

100_2478_zps68dc7230.jpg

Tony get a load of this tractor!!! Super MTA LP. TA delete high drum cotton picker tractor!!!! Every once in a while one of these collectible gems make it North of the Mason-Dixon and West of the Mississippi and if the are fortunate will end up in the loving hands of someone like Richard.

100_2511_zpse055f01b.jpg

I try to get a photo of that tall tractor from an ant's perspective and I can't keep people from walking in to my image. Now I know how the ants feel, getting walked all over :lol: .

PAT,

Talk about drooling all over my keyboard!

Be still my heart. That is a awesome piece, doubt there is another around.

She is beautiful Thanks for posting .

Tony

Pat, thanks for the great pictures.

You are spoiling me with all these 560 pics.

I look forward to your next post, every day.

You know, you could make this a year round activity....

Mark

Mark

Mark has a tremendous idea.

Tony

Mark

Tony

sounds like a good idea but we'd all have too send Pat some pictures too keep things fresh.

Mark

Tony

Mark, Tony, I'm glad you guys are enjoying this thread. It's been fun reviewing a couple Tillage Days past. If only I could earn a living doing this... I'm waiting for Dennis and Sallie to call and say that that they want to add a new feature to Red Power Magazine and want me to do it, probably be waiting a long time. Recall "On The Road With Charles Kurault". I would love making my way across this country visiting Red tractor folks in their own back yard and documenting their lives and love of Red tractors for your enjoyment. Problem is no one has an expense account to cover such a venture.

Originally it was not my intent to drive Mark crazy with photos of 560's. The photos were there and then it was apparent that we found a spot that could easily be scratched bring on the itch.

100_2522_zps17e7515e.jpg

The 560 that Easy Bob's dad bought new is in excellent original condition. If there was a fresh coat of wax on the paint this photo would have been right there with the cover photo of the 1959 International Harvesters Buyers Guide. As it is it would be a good photo for The Farm Quarterly. How many of you recall that magazine?? I think Dad's first copy was Winter 1949 and he subscribed to it till it went out of publication in the early 1970's, I still have almost all of them. The Farm Quarterly was the Life Magazine for the farm community.

100_2574_zpsbbeda65c.jpg

I have all but used up the tillage day photos from last year. There are a few more from out in the field and several more of Richards displays that i can post but we need to keep as many in furrow photos as possible till the tillage day. So I guess it's time to saddle up and head down the road and tomorrow we will be in the furrow of another Tillage Day past.

016_13A_00-1.jpg

Re Draft:

It's funny, I was just going to go over to YT and ask about center draft on the tractor. I have a JD #44 that I want to pull with my SM. My plan was to get the center draft set on the plow (JD gives a formula to figure it out) then offset on the draw bar to get the furrow wheel in the right place.

I figured since I had quite a bit of tractor up front the plow pulling a bit from one side wouldn't be that big a deal. Dishing the tires in wouldn't work well for me for the little plowing I do, plus I have a wide front that hasn't been moved in probably 50 years.

K

I think this would be cool, as I've never ran a plow. Only ever sat in the cab as a kid with dad. I currently work in lafayette, but would be quite a haul (80 miles) to get the tractor from home to there. I bet I have ridden past that farm though when I had a motorcycle in college!