Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ole three bottom

Hear ye, Hear Ye!!!! Chapter #7 Announces it's annual fall tillage day!!!

This morning lets talk about duals. If you use to follow the post on the construction side by The King of Obsolete, you remember the expression "Duals Rule". On the occasions that we have enough acreage for the large frame Farmalls, You will likely see a few sets of duals out in the field. At Bob's Tillage day in 2010 our friend Easy Bob brought up his 5488 FWA. Bob Devault happen to have a seven bottom 720 so Easy Bob left his at home, making one less trip with the truck and trailer.

100_2822.jpg

Easy Bob also brought the 1456 and the plow that he had hitched to it.

100_2808.jpg

3a0f7190-7f9e-472a-8180-f4c736f7888e_zps

But Easy Bob wasn't the only one who was running a dual on the land side

100_2805.jpg

Now everyone knows that a Farmall H doesn't need a dual on the land to pull a 2 bottom Little Genus.Or a Super M need one to pull a 3 bottom. Like this one from the 2011 tillage day.

100_3198.jpg

Matt definitely didn't need a dual on his 756 to pull his 500 series 3 bottom.

100_2786.jpg

100_2774.jpg

But Matt has taken the time to acquire hubs and rims that fit the 756. So if you have the equipment, flaunt it....

The C and the one bottom Little Wonder are doing a decent job in the furrow now. But the morning didn't start out that way.

100_2766.jpg

When this gentleman first got to the field he had the plow hitched to the swinging draw bar. With the wheel setting he had on the C the furrow wheel of the plow was wanting to ride on the land and not in the furrow. So the plow was trying to take it's cut left of the furrow wall and was not able to turn it's slice properly into the furrow. The wheel spacing on the tractor was not allowing the center line of draft follow through with the plow in the furrow. The clevis was moved up on the horse shoe of the draw bar and a hole or two right of center. This allowed the furrow wheel of the plow to ride in the furrow like it is suppose to.

100_2795.jpg

When driving a tractor with a right handed tilt is a new experience to you. You can be sure that there are experienced folks willing to help get you rolling.

100_2765.jpg

When driving a tractor with a right handed tilt is a new experience to you. You can be sure that there are experienced folks willing to help get you rolling.

That's one of the things I like best about plow days, most everyone is willing to help each other out.

I agree with you. There was one plow day that I was at that it was the exact opposite. The guy that had the plow day wanted it bigger than the county fair. As soon as someone dropped a plow in the ground about 70 tractors were trucking it out to the field in road gear. There were a lot of plows set up wrong, they just pulled em out of a fence row and plowed. I have a buddy that was pulling a 2 bottom genius with an M. The moldboards were literally cutting sideways in the ground. The front coulter was also jammed up into the front axle so it wasnt turning. We tried to help him set it up but he seemed to think he knew more about setting up a plow then my dad who has been a tractor mechanic for over 40 years. Basically all the old timers and people that knew what they were doing just went to the one side of the field and let the others screw up their side.

Chris

OTB

I get to work in the "shade" a lot with the 4-14 540 behind my 400D

IMG_0155.jpg

Can I just say that I really love this thread? There is just something about plowing that makes me a happy man. Im only 22 so I havent been around it back in the day but I really like it. Every plow day I can get to I try and make it. All the pics are top notch and I almost feel like I was there. hahaha

Chris

Well, lets get on with it!!!!

You always hope that no one has any mechanical at a tillage day. But once in a while something is bound to happen, And if a blown hydraulic hose is the extent of it for the day then it is still a good day. A trip to the nearest TSC for a new hose and back in business.

100_2825.jpg

Jim Yoars won't be happy with me for posting the hose incident. But he knows I have a hose on my 720 that isn't much better.

I intended to post this photo of Jim Yoars and his BS 966 an yesterdays post as well. But I must of accidentally deleted it before I got the post down loaded.

.100_2817.jpg

Jim's 966 is one nice original early Black Stripes. At Wilson's in 2012, Jim was right behind me in our first pass across the mile. The ground was wet and sticky and the rust on the bottoms had the 720 serving as a boat anchor . So I was holding Jim back, that is until I got enough rust wore off. Then I went TA forward and started walking away from him. Later that afternoon Jim was wanting to know how it was possible for the 1066 to just up and walk away from a BS 966 the way mine did. The answer was simple, Jim's 966 is set up on 34 rears, the 10 on 38's giving me more speed.

100_2802.jpg

Now just so you know I will be running out of photos from the past tillage day at Bob Devault's . But never fear I have photos from field Days at Jim Yoars, Richard Walkers, Wilson and Marty's, Emmet and Rosemary Zeller's, and Harry Lee's to draw upon and keep this tread alive up to the October tillage day.

It just so happened that the same day we were at Bob Devault's the Central Indiana Cubfest was going on at Tipton, Indiana. I had to leave the tillage day and be home early for a family event and Tipton is on the way so I made a quick pass through. So today I'll include some of those photos as well.

100_2835.jpg

100_2840.jpg

100_2844.jpg

100_2833.jpg

OTB,

thanks for the pictures. You are really getting me excited to make the trip to Indiana.

We'll see if we can work that in around our harvest work.

Mark

Mark, we would love to have you join us this fall. Hopefully weather and harvest will cooperate for everyone's benefit. You know yourself how hard it is to plan a tillage day. Finding someone who has the acreage and is willing to work in hosting the tillage day and working the tillage day in with their fall harvest schedule. Or the harvest schedule of the farmer who is operating the land. Once you get the location worked out, the next major concern is Mother Nature's willingness to cooperate with favorable weather. As you can see by the photos the weather was perfect at our previous visit to Bob Devault's.

That's enough jabber for this morning... Those following this thread are doing so for eye candy, so I better produce some. I wish I could tell you who owens this 806 and #70 trail plow. It is a real clean pair so this morning it is today's feature.

100_2732.jpg

100_2731.jpg

Safety trip beams, I'm guessing it is a 16" plow, but that is just my guess. Super Chief bottoms and shares, It is one nice plow.

100_2777.jpg

100_2791.jpg

2014TILLAGE-2c_zps3ceb0216.jpg

Take note on the flyer that You must have at least an IHCC National membership to participate. Not a member of the International Harvester Collectors Club yet. Not a problem, Below is a link to our web page that has the information necessary to join. I am sure that Emmett or someone will be at the tillage day to assist you with signing up that morning If do not have a membership. The cost for Membership is $15. for a national, $25 for a national and Chapter #7 membership. The reason behind requiring membership to participate is because of insurance.

http://www.ihcin7.net/contact-us.html

As I have stated in previous post , I like to get to the site of a plow day early catch the day as it is coming to life. Trailers arriving loaded down with tractor and plows as the sun breaks the eastern horizon.

100_2730.jpg

100_2728.jpg

100_2733.jpg

100_2734.jpg

100_2735.jpg

100_2741.jpg

100_2742.jpg

100_2743.jpg

As stated on the flyer there will be space for static displays. Also You notice that we call it a tillage day. The majority of those in the field will have plows. But in the past we have had members show up with disk and other tillage tools as well.

OTB,

You are driving me crazy!!!

You have posted a picture of that 560d with the M&W turbo and 3 bottom 530 plow, a couple of times now.

That rig is SWEET.

I'll have a very tough decision to make around the 10th of October. Plow day in Indiana or more harvest, if the weather is good.

Thanks for all your great pictures, I love it,

Mark

Mark, from time to time I am given the assignment by members of the chapter to create an itch that has to be scratched. I think over the years I've gotten pretty good at it. If only I could persuade Mother Nature to cooperate so easly.

As for the M&W 560 I don't know who owned it at the time that we were at Bob DeVault's , but I am pretty sure that it is the same tractor that BZ now owns. At Mid-America Threshers I recorded some video clips of the tractor and working in Tiptpn county wheat stubble.The 560 is equipped with the IH tillage gears in the tranny, In the first photo you will see Easy Bob's 560 walking away from BZ's due to the difference in the gearing of the transmission. BZ has since acquired a 4 bottom plow off of Easy Bob. It is easy to believe that BZ will have the 560 and one of the plows at Lafayette in October.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJM0e_gSWzA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvnS4Syyogw

I traded another tractor for the 560 with dw330. If the weather cooperates it will be at plow day with a 4 bottom 412 plow. The one I bought from easy bob.

Love the pictures, keep em comin!! Sure would love to go and watch!! Too far to take a tractor and plow for me

For what ever reason some of the photos in this collection have the appearance of being washed out, So I haven't used many of them yet. Last night I did a little photo shop work and they are better, and usable, but still not as good as most of this collection. So this morning I will post a few more of the photos of the plowmen assembling.

100_2736.jpg

100_2737.jpg

Mark there's another of the 560. Looking at this picture picture I know that it is only a three bottom plow but still your pretty good when you can back a semi mounted plow up the back of a trailer or as Smoker 1 dose drive the tractor and plow on the trailer and back it off.

100_2738.jpg

Cougar and the Cougar Kids getting ready to unload Kassandra's 460 and Grandpa Hodson's 544 Hydro

100_2729.jpg

Trail plows off loaded and ready to be hitched to the tractors. In the foreground is a very clean example of a #3 Little Wonder.

Welcome Chapter #33

Bob DeVault asked that Chapter #33, Northern Indiana Chapter be invited to the Chapter #7 tillage day. A recent mailing to the chapter #33 members has the dates of the tillage day included in their calendar. So we will be looking forward to seeing equipment of the Chapter #33 membership join us in the furrow..

btred1466, . There was a white panel 1466 at Bob's. I have posted Photos of it from a distance and on the end of the field but not in the furrow. I guess we will have to do something about that. We don't always have equipment this big at tillage day. But when we have acreage available like we do at Bob DeVault's the large tractors are welcomed.This topic was started with photos of Bob DeVault's 1206 in action. That was several days ago Clear back at page #1. Sounds to me like today I need to feature these two beast. So as Jack Smith use to say. btred of Magnolia, Ohio, You asked for it!!!

100_2821.jpg

100_2812.jpg

100_2734.jpg

100_2742.jpg

100_2803.jpg

100_2818.jpg

100_2804.jpg

100_2805.jpg

At this time I wish to bring another item to your attention. You will notice that Bob DeVault had a rider on the fender. You will also see other photos family showing members riding the drawbar. Since the time that these photos were taken because of liability Chapter #7 has taken the stance that if there is only a seat for one on the tractor then only one person should be riding the tractor. In 2012 we actually had a guy riding on top of a Little Genus plow spread eagle because the plow wasn't penetrating the ground for crying out loud. I know that many of us started out between our fathers legs on the seat with him at the wheel. From there we moved to the axle housing, drawbar and fender. But that was on the home place, The risk was that of our own family. If you are a member of IHCC you already know that the insurance company that the national has gone with is not of the fun sort. They would prefer that all the club ever did was static displays. We are fortunate that they allow us to have tillage days because the will not allow tractor drives and tractor pulls to be part of a state or national event. All it takes is for one accident to happen and the insurance company can pretty much put a stop to things as they are. So That is why Chapter #7 says, one seat, one rider, and if anyone operates a tractor in what is considered an unsafe manner Chapter #7 has the right to ask that person to leave.

I wish to also add that at larger tillage days in the past we have had operators sigh a waver of liability. I seldom have a tractor at a tillage day so I can't recall if we do this at every tillage day or just the big ones. So operators may be asked to take time to sign one.

I guess I need to fix a seat to the Lady's fender then. Do you think that'll work?

David, I can't say for sure if it will work or not. This whole rider thing is always a difficult situation. We have all done it, it's the way we grew up. But when you go to an event on property owned by some one else with other operators, It just opens another can of worms. It may be such at thing no one will be looking too closely or even car to look too closely at this tillage day. All I know is the last few years the club has been trying to limit the riders for safety reasons at a club event. Having to always think about such things can take a little of the fun out of the day... But in this day and age sometimes you have to looks at the big picture, So I'm bringing this out in this post so there are few surprises people arrive at Bob's and unload.

100_2752.jpg

100_2754.jpg

100_2763.jpg\

I wonder if people signed waivers if that would get around the no rider rule. I know its for safety but Im just thinking about when Dad taught me to plow. He was riding and I was driving and he was teaching me how to set it all up and drive. I really enjoyed that and its a fond memory that I will never forget. Its a shame to not be able to do that.

Im not bashing the no rider rule, just throwing in my two cents. I love this thread.

Chris

Too bad about no riders. That's how I learned to plow, at this event in 2008. That's fellow forum member Hoot on the fender instructing me.

PlowdayME.jpg

I wonder if people signed waivers if that would get around the no rider rule. I know its for safety but Im just thinking about when Dad taught me to plow. He was riding and I was driving and he was teaching me how to set it all up and drive. I really enjoyed that and its a fond memory that I will never forget. Its a shame to not be able to do that.

Im not bashing the no rider rule, just throwing in my two cents. I love this thread.

Chris

OTB,

When we do our plow day, we have every driver sign a waiver that says that they will not hold the farm owner or anyone involved with the event, liable if they hurt themselves.

That's also a way that we get the names and addresses of all the people that are there.

I know that doesn't cover the bystanders that are there watching, and I'm not sure that it would include riders.

Signing the waiver will probably not stop someone from filing a suit if something bad happens.

So, we also carry an event liability policy. Don't like to spend that money but we don't want to end up wishing we did.

thanks for all the great pictures,

Mark