Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Farmall504#20

The Great Farmall 806 VS JD 4020 Debate

Talking with a few guys the other day and they were in an argument over the Farmall 806 VS the JD 4020 . Hot Hot Topic that day .

10322763_10152235133794543_7834521129798

Put on your seat belts here we go! Course in my mind the only real tractor here is wearing red paint. :D

Both of them have flaws and you can't go wrong with either one. We had a early 4020 wheatland with a powershift back in the day. Farmed almost 900 acres with it.

Both of them have good reputations. I like the looks of the 806 better. But both are good tractors.

Rick

Spent a lot of time on the seat of an 806 growing up. It was the big tractor on the farm for many years. I have also ran 4020s. As said both are good tractors in the field. But, in the shop I'll take an 806 all day long over a 4020. What a pain those green things are to work on. Now if an 806 came with a power shift, I think IH would have put John Deere out of business years ago.

Everyone knows how I feel.

Aside from the hydraulics and nimbleness the PS 4020 is best used as a boat anchor

Interesting post. I have a customer that I have this discussion with on occasion. Having never driven a 4020 I can't honestly say. He claims if I would just drive a 4020 once I will never have a red tractor on the farm again. He has driven both and says a 4020 will walk all over a 806. Others have told me he is full of crap. Needless to say we are still mostly red here.

I will do tillage with the red ones and do spraying/planting with a green one. It depends on the use.

My dad had a 4010, and then a 4020. I spent many, many hours on each. When I struck out on my own, I bought an 856 from my retiring uncle. The 856 and the 4020 were often used side by side, doing the same kind of work, and each did equally well. The green tractor was just as good as the red tractor, and vice-versa. I will admit though, that red is a much prettier color.

I have attached a couple pictures of an old piece dad has tucked away in a drawer, hopefully the pictures are clear, took them with a cell phone.

post-15654-0-34810400-1400847394_thumb.j

post-15654-0-32927900-1400847405_thumb.j

Not trying to change the subject:

On my first tour at Ft Riley I lived out in a little town. I knocked on doors asking for permission to hunt. On place the farmers wife told she didn't think so but that her husband was in the machine shed. He was working on a 560D. I walked in, introduced myself and helped him finish up. Then asked to hunt. He told me sure and we became friends. I did some wrenching and a little field work when I had time over the next couple of years. Right before I left Ft Riley to go to Germany he bought a JD 3020. When I was out to say goodbye he ask me which tractor he should get rid of. because of the JD 3020, the 560D or his 656D. I told him as a joke the 3020. I got back to Ft Riley a few years later. I drove out to visit and the first thing the guy told me was "you were right". He used the 3 point on the 656, 560 and 3020 hard. He got rid of the 656 (cause it was worth more). The 3020 had to have the lower arm shaft and seals replaced ever year sense he bought it. About a year later he traded it for a 756.

Rick

If you want a tractor for heavy work like tillage that will flat out pull get a 806, if you want a chore tractor or loader tractor I would go with the 4020. Both are good tractors and both have their good points and bad points.

Agree with ya, there are a lot of both in the country, both great tractors in my opinion, and about the best models they both made.

The honesty in your responses is something that would NEVER occur on a JD forum.

The honesty in your responses is something that would NEVER occur on a JD forum.

I've looked, I dont think there really IS a JD forum... unless you count "4020.com" which used to get about a post a month until they moved over to FaceBook.

Ya you wouldn't, it's green or otherwise their nose goes in the air, around red especially it seems, for myself whatever you like I respect, just more partial to red

Agree with all your honesty, I myself am very bias to the red and prefer them. Have run a lot of both, and I have to admit some green ones are okay, but I won`t own one like my red ones better.

If you want a tractor for heavy work like tillage that will flat out pull get a 806, if you want a chore tractor or loader tractor I would go with the 4020. Both are good tractors and both have their good points and bad points.

This is exactly what I've heard. We have an 806 gas. Spent a lot of time on it over the years. Good tractor. My only complaint is if it dies, you have no brakes. I had one wild ride backwards down a hill. Had to use the plow to stop :/

The 4020's seem a little shorter? I've checked a few out as we thought about buying one on recommendation a few years ago. I suppose a Wheatland 806 would turn just as short.

The 806 is definitely stout. It's been our "big tractor" for years.

I ran 4020's at work and 806 and my 856 at home and the 806 and 856 are much better than the 4020 , More power better on fuel run better up the road the controls are in better places and they IH also starts better

Both of them have flaws and you can't go wrong with either one. We had a early 4020 wheatland with a powershift back in the day. Farmed almost 900 acres with it.

The rice farmers in my part of Texas did not use the 806D International or 806D Farmall. Mostly JD or Case. They said the rear ends would not hold up in the rice fields!!??

I have used both the 806 Diesel and power shift 4020 diesels. Let me list the following points:

1. The 806 and 4020 cannot be compared directly. They were not direct competitors. The 806 was a larger tractor. The direct competitor to the 4020 is the 826. When new the 806 was $1000 more than a 4020. What upset me the most was that IH was slow getting the 826 to market. It should have been released in 1967 when the 706 German was released. Had that happened I believe the final sales figures would have been a lot different. In fact in 1970 when sales were slow the 826 sold like hotcakes. The higher price of the 806 diesel was definitely a negative and stopped a lot of sales customers including my father in law. He bought the 4020 because it was $1000 cheaper ($9000 vs $10000) and it had the power shift thrown in as a bonus. Driving them, you instantly sense that the 806 is a heavier tractor.

2. The additional expense for the 806 was mainly in the D361 engine and it cost more to produce. The D358 was more in line with the JD offering in the 4020. However, the D361 was easily capable of 15000 hours if people didn't go overboard with ether in the fall and winter. My father in law put 15000 hours on his 4020 and it had the engine rebuilt at 5000 hours and again at 10000 hours and by 15000 hours it was ready for another rebuild. This 5000 hour engine life is consistent with that I have seen with Neuss engines and typical of the D358 also. So in that respect the 826 and the 4020 are the directly matched competitors.

3. Some people liked the 4020 power shift while others did not. I didn't mind the jerky power shift but it bothered some people.

4. The 4020 also weighed slightly less than the 806.

5. I personally did not miss the lack of a power shift on the 806 series since the TA generally did what I needed a power shift to do.

6. In our area the 806 could pull 5 furrow 16 inch frame 550 plow easily. The 4020 that my father in law had could only pull a 5 furrow 14 inch JD plow. When new, he tried the 16 inch frame plow but it was too much for the 4020 tractor. He felt that the 14 inch plow was better matched to the tractor.

So in concluding, the 826 was the direct competitor to the 4020. The 806 diesel was a heavier more expensive tractor that JD did not have a direct competitor for. The 856 was even more powerful and perhaps closer in comparison to the 4320 tractor. These are just my observations and not meant to be a put down for either tractor.

The 856 replaced the 806. The 4020 replaced the 4010. Sometime after the 4020 was introduced, John Deere brought out the 4000 as a lower cost alternative to the 4020. IH then brought out the 826 to compete with the 4000.

Or was the 856 Custom brought out to compete with the 4000?

I would rather have the 4020 over the 806 but an 856 over the 4020/4320 because the 4320 didn't have the powershift. I wanted an 856 FWD when I started farming but IH would not deal with me, being I was 16. I was in FFA and we had a field trip to JD so I knew the salesman. I had been around IH as Dad had them and had known the salesman for years. SO I ended up with a 4020 FWA powershift tractor. Then the 30 series came out in 73 and I went with JD because of the much better cab and controls. IH never caught up with John Deere so I went with/stayed with JD 40 series....James